[WIP] Fortification Contest - The King's Garden (ex-StormCastle)

• Hey, this is my entry for the Fortification Contest. This is my first map for chivalry and still work in progress. I’m a game design student at Futuregames in Sweden, and this is a awesome opportunity to take part in.

So, the King’s Garden is a small map focused on a few specific choke points. My aim is to create a map that is fun even when you are not that many players. And personally I always preferred the smaller maps in Chivalry, since they are more action packed.

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Screenshots:

For more pictures and to try the map out:
    Workshop

Thanks for your time!
    /Miene

• Developer

Bump for post moderation

• Awesome, Thank you Soup! Will I able to edit it now?

I got started on the art for the level, and decided that I liked the theme of ruins so I guess the name will change soon ^^

• Here’s a couple of more pictures of how the art is coming along.

• Looking good so far :)

• Oh, I will need to compete vs professionals? It looks good.

• @leynadix:

Oh, I will need to compete vs professionals? It looks good.

You are, but I am just a student :)

• Hey just had a quick look at this. love the thunder and lightning, very atmospheric.

You pictures above are all sandy and sunshine though so not sure which way you are going - but a thumbs up for thunder and rain from me. And if you stick with that are you going to try and make all the materials you use look wet by the way?

Just on the moving water - i am sure it is just a quick sketch up on the server at the moment - the water fall was a bit fast i think, and I think (the server moved to a new map now) did I see the water fall on my left, but the stream inside the castle flow from right to left??? might be wrong ???

I invented a kismet thing for breaking barriers if you want to steal it, so that axes actually break through faster - thing it adds just an extra bit of richness - see the Neuschwanstein 3rd stage kismet door breaking……

• Hey thanks for taking the time look at my map Massive. I will not go with the thunder and lightning. I liked it aswell but I think what I got going now is a lot nicer and unique. The coming day or two I will be done with a rough draft of the new art and will update everything.

The waterfall is removed, the water will only flow through the city now which also is only a placeholder. I will get one of the graphical artists in school to make one that fits my level better when the form is set in stone.

The kismet thing sounds really cool, I will take a look at it. Is there anyway to indicate that axes actually do break it quicker?

• This is looking great. I can feel the warmth :)

• Hey, I just updated the first post with new images from my map. It’s still very much work in progress but I now have a rough draft of the visuals. The insides of rooms are still not done at all, especially the throne room. But I will update this once again when that is done.

I have also updated the workshop with the latest build and pictures.

• Hey, does anyone know how you get the marker over the king in a assassination objective?

• Nice nice map. This might’ve been one of my favorites from the testing. It was a little crowded on the 32p server but I think you mentioned that it was meant for a smaller server. I’m not sure which objective it was but the play area around the fountain was really fun. Unfortunately I forgot to write down any notes for this map so I don’t have any constructive criticism for you.

If you didn’t catch it in game, I think one of the devs mentioned that the HUD marker for assassinations was somewhere in the Register Objective Sequence nodes in kismet.

• I played map during testing time yesterday, and this is a great map for some serious combat. The lighting is great and nice to see a sandy map for a change. Some things to think about are, cover for Agatha outside of castle is very limited and can get picked off very easy by the archers on wall. I play in 3rd person almost always to get a better sense of whats around me, and once inside the castle i find my camera was always going behind the walls preventing me from seeing anything else. Nothing else really the map is a serious competitor. Congrats

• Hey, I’m very glad you like my map. I will take a look at the HUD tomorrow.

Covers will be added, the whole first area around the camp will get a total overhaul in time.

I don’t really know how to fix the issue with 3rd person camera. But I will work on the last objective and most likely increase the size of it, even if I want to keep it small it’s on the smallest side. And having a bit more space might improve the camera issue.

Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts, it’s very appreciated.

• @Miene:

Hey, I’m very glad you like my map. I will take a look at the HUD tomorrow.

Covers will be added, the whole first area around the camp will get a total overhaul in time.

I don’t really know how to fix the issue with 3rd person camera. But I will work on the last objective and most likely increase the size of it, even if I want to keep it small it’s on the smallest side. And having a bit more space might improve the camera issue.

Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts, it’s very appreciated.

Sounds great. I think there is a setting for static meshes to block camera and that should fix the camera going through or behind them.

• Oh cool I will take a look at that.

• @noble118:

Sounds great. I think there is a setting for static meshes to block camera and that should fix the camera going through or behind them.

It seems as if the option is already true, so that doesn’t work.

• Just updated the map. Here are some of the key things changed.

• Agatha can no longer destroy the barricade in the second objective before they destroyed the first gate.
    • The barricade in the second objective now uses the damaged stages to indicate how much hp the barricade has left.
    • Remodeled the last objectives area. It is now wider than before, so hopefully not as crowded as before.
    • Changed the collision for the arcs in the final area, so that it is easier to jump up in the bridges.
    • Added a couple of ramps for easier access the the bridges.
    • Added a pile of boxes and barrels after the final barricade so that mason has time to spawn their king and take defensive positions.
    • The HUD marker for the king should now show up.
    • Fixed various collision bugs where the player get stuck.

• Hey, today I been doing mostly cleanup work and level art. Earlier I had just left some areas for later and now I got to it.

Here you see a what I mean with cleanup

I got a new water model, is still being tweaked though. But it looks better already. (that mist is waaay to blue)

I added a second entrance/exit for this area so that when it is used as spawn area for the second objective there is more than one exit.

Thats all for today :)