Should Oil pots be changed?

• Oil pots have annoyed pretty much the whole community for quite some time now, and I agree they should be useful in certain situations. However as we all should know by now, they are used in almost any situation. I think it’s time they get a change. There are multiple problems with this easy mode throwable. First the flinch glitch is really annoying and needs to get fixed. Second, it’s damage is unblockable, the only way to avoid the damage is to not touch the fire, sounds pretty reasonable right? But when you step in the fire for a split second and run out of it, you’re still losing half your health, which is absolute nonsense. Fire pots should not do damage UNLESS you are actively standing in the fire. This would tone down the oil pot spam we all know and hate. They would still be very useful in team objective such as scattering people off the carts or getting players off the ballistas on hillside. Would also work great against players trying to take over the trebs on hillside. Currently I think oil pots are just too good with little to no downsides. Discuss.

Inb4 realism trolls “well if u get caught on fire of course ur gunna get hurt blahblahblah”

• @Noobstomper:

Oil pots have annoyed pretty much the whole community for quite some time now, and I agree they should be useful in certain situations. However as we all should know by now, they are used in almost any situation. I think it’s time they get a change. There are multiple problems with this easy mode throwable. First the flinch glitch is really annoying and needs to get fixed. Second, it’s damage is unblockable, the only way to avoid the damage is to not touch the fire, sounds pretty reasonable right? But when you step in the fire for a split second and run out of it, you’re still losing half your health, which is absolute nonsense. Fire pots should not do damage UNLESS you are actively standing in the fire. This would tone down the oil pot spam we all know and hate. They would still be very useful in team objective such as scattering people off the carts or getting players off the ballistas on hillside. Would also work great against players trying to take over the trebs on hillside. Currently I think oil pots are just too good with little to no downsides. Discuss.

Inb4 realism trolls “well if u get caught on fire of course ur gunna get hurt blahblahblah”

I am extremely biased and have an extremely fun time just spamming oil. Actually, I wish they would bring back the 4 sec ammo boxes in dark forest.

• @Noobstomper:

Oil pots have annoyed pretty much the whole community for quite some time now, and I agree they should be useful in certain situations. However as we all should know by now, they are used in almost any situation. I think it’s time they get a change. There are multiple problems with this easy mode throwable. First the flinch glitch is really annoying and needs to get fixed. Second, it’s damage is unblockable, the only way to avoid the damage is to not touch the fire, sounds pretty reasonable right? But when you step in the fire for a split second and run out of it, you’re still losing half your health, which is absolute nonsense. Fire pots should not do damage UNLESS you are actively standing in the fire. This would tone down the oil pot spam we all know and hate. They would still be very useful in team objective such as scattering people off the carts or getting players off the ballistas on hillside. Would also work great against players trying to take over the trebs on hillside. Currently I think oil pots are just too good with little to no downsides. Discuss.

Zombo had a great idea for balancing firepots. Remove flinch, and remove damage upon impact. Then, buff the DPS while standing in fire. That way, you can use firepots as a funneling tool but you take away their function as an unblockable grenade that takes away like 1/5 of your health.

• Better yet, the fire damage disappears as soon as you move out of the oil pot’s radius.

• 1. Remove Oil Pots flinching attacks completely.
    2. Remove Oil Pots covering the entire god damn middle of your screen with fire, maybe compensate by having it cover all of your peripheral vision with fire or something.
    3. Decrease the guaranteed damage of being hit directly by a fire pot from 35 damage(I think it is) to 15 damage.
    4. Increase the DPS of standing in the fire to 10 damage per second.
    5. Increase the area of effect by 25%-50%.

This will make them actual area denial tools instead of retarded, obligatory, fight deciding, flinching, blinding, annoying, fucking skill less spam bombs. Firepot+Shot by Archer= Useless Vanguard or Knight in a fight. TBS pls use your brains.

Thread ends here. No need for further discussion.

• All very good ideas so far and I agree with almost all of them, They truly are in a stupid place right now and do need a fix

• Agreed, i think the firepots should shower the enemies with bubbles……and rainbows, don’t forget rainbows

• The tick-rate of firepots would need to be significantly increased, but overall should do MINIMUM 15 DPS (maybe tick 4 or more times per second). The radius would SIGNIFICANTLY need to be increased though.

and let’s buff smoke pots while we’re at it:

-MUCH faster throwing animation.
    -increase radius by at least 50%
    -increase duration by at least 2x
    -faster switching
    -longer range
    -fix the bug where smoke barely comes out if you hit a wall or weird terrain
    -make standing in smoke cover your screen for and linger for at least a second when walking out of it, to give a ‘defenders’ advantage.
    -disable reticule targeting behind and inside smoke.

• Personally, I’d prefer the oil-pot to work more like a tool for holding enemies off a certain area. Basically, for the oil pot to work more like in CS, afaic.
    i.e. Oil pot deals no damage directly upon bursting into flames, but only after the fire has spread. Also, larger AoE would be nice if this change was made.

Or something.

• Did they ever fix oilpots not giving assist points? Like you would crisp 3 guys and they all die soon after to something else but you never get the assist points.

• Just make Fire Pots similar to how they worked in AoC but with greater damage while you stand in the fire.

• Agree with most people here: remove the damage from being hit with a pot, make it so you only take damage whilst standing in the fire. Perhaps increase DPS to compensate but don’t go bananas, it’s still an easy mode weapon.

• I had the triple flinch you can get with firepots.

• Should be that you can’t get set on fire instantly, but if you stand in the fire for 2 or 3 seconds straight then you set fire.

• @El:

Should be that you can’t get set on fire instantly, but if you stand in the fire for 2 or 3 seconds straight then you set fire.

this would easily make fire-pots absolutely useless in its current system.

• @Dr:

Agree with most people here: remove the damage from being hit with a pot, make it so you only take damage whilst standing in the fire. Perhaps increase DPS to compensate but don’t go bananas, it’s still an easy mode weapon.

Are you kidding that was so annoying before, I throw a pot and it exploded on your chest to no effect.

Pots are great where they are now, they don’t do that much damage and become a handy tool to reroute people. Maybe damage could be reduced a tad.

• @gregcau:

Are you kidding that was so annoying before, I throw a pot and it exploded on your chest to no effect.

Pots are great where they are now, they don’t do that much damage and become a handy tool to reroute people. Maybe damage could be reduced a tad.

Don’t do that much damage? In competitive matches if a Knight gets hit by a Fire Pot it becomes a slower Vanguard with a worse weapon.

• Fill them with gun powder.

Really though they should only flinch if the oil pot physically hits you. I’m fine with the damage. Doesn’t do much and easy to heal from.

• Just to clarify for those who did not play AoC; firepots only caught a player on fire if the pot itself hit their body directly. They would damage players who stood in the fire area but the damage was minimal and the area of effect was small.

I was just proposing we use the same firepot system in C:MW but increase the damage players take while standing in the flames.

• @Nohbdy111:

Don’t do that much damage? In competitive matches if a Knight gets hit by a Fire Pot it becomes a slower Vanguard with a worse weapon.

Now you’re exaggerating.