Rework idea for Shields

• Hello, just been thinking of a possible way of reworking shields, in a way that would sort of buff and nerf it at the same time.

To explain a little bit about the shield, we have currently four stages with the shield.
    Idle, Up, Hold, Recovery/Lower.

Obviously the Idle is when you are not performing any action with the shield. Up is when you raise the shield, which is pretty much instant at the moment. Hold is when your block box is activated, also when you are vulerable to be dazed to ‘Heavy Kicks’, and lastly is the Recovery/Lower when you bring down the shield.

So, I was thinking about a complete way to rework the way shields work, what if the shield had two block variations. The first one being a hold-block like we have right now, while the other being a tap-block / Timed block.

How the timed block would work?
    Let’s say the shield has sort of a ‘Windup/Up’ stage that acts like weapon parries, last for 0.5 seconds. That is activated once you press RMB(default button) to bring up your shield.

What are the advantage with Tap-block / Timed blocks?
    If a tap or timed block is succesfully performed, it should allow the user to lower the shield immediatly to idle and ready to do an attack or whatever, if the timed block is missed. the User can continue to hold down the RMB to continue from “Up” to “Hold” which would act like the same as our current shield. With that, we could still use shields efficently for projectile cover or blocking of a tight area.

But what will the drawback be if you can both do a timed block and hold block if you fail the timed block?
    Well, my idea there is that the Recovery stage on shields needs to be heavily increased to the point where that IF you should fail a timed block due to a feint or whatever, and your opponent hits you during hold-block, you will have a such long recovery that you won’t gain any initative in the fight by using it, so from that point you could be punished again either with a trade, or forced to block another attack which you may block with timed-block, or fail and do another hold-block, your opponent is atleast not losing anything out of this.

I think this would give some viraty to the shield, while reducing its effectiveness as a lame facehug anti-feint defensive equipment.

Just to make myself clear about the benefit of a succesful tap-block, it should not act as a riposte where you go straight to release, but it will negate your shield recovery right away, allowing you to do a move before your opponent.

also another things I want to mention about the shield.

When going into the Recovery stage, I want it to be possible to press RMB to go straight back into hold-block again, since it is so awkward if you release your hold block just as you see something, but you cannot raise it again before your recovery/lower stage has gone through.

I also suggest that the daze kick effect should be working on the recovery part on the shield again like it first did when the daze kick was introduced, that we cannot punish a shield with a daze kick likewise as we punish feints, or gets punished by feints is lame. The hold stage is the only part where you can be dazed, and you can right away cancel that stage if you see your opponents leg move to prevent being dazed.

Please let me know what you think about this idea.

• Also, would be nice if we had a proper animation for the recovery part on shield, right now it pretty much goes down quickly, but there is like this invisible cooldown that counts down before you can attack again, should be animated so that it will give you a visual hint when you can start attacking.

• Shield does actually have a ‘parry’ stage that is before hold, which TB could easily make the new timed-blocks with.

• Love the amount of feedback this thread has recieved.

• Meh isnt there already a thread about buffing shields? Anyways Shields are fun to play with and should be more viable imo.
    I don’t know about these changes though. Shield needs a way to take iniatitive so theyre not thrash in teamfights, but this has been generally accepted in all shield threads.

• I think shields should be reworked so that they don’t lose stamina when they block attacks, but they lose a certain number of stamina every time they raise the shield and every second they keep the shield raised. The benefit of a smaller shield would be a faster shield raise time, less stamina to raise, and less stamina loss per second and the benefit of a larger shield would be a larger blocking volume. Must would make a good balance between small and large shields.

• Tbh, I just want shields to block attacks when I hold RMB and not have any effect the moment I release RMB.
    They can be balanced around heavier stamina drain instead of clunkiness that absolutely kills them in many situations, imo. Also, I’m not sure, but I think that in the past you had to aim your shields more carefully, no?
    Also, how dare shields impose a long window of time after blocking in which I can’t attack and then have my attacks queue?

On a side note, some attacks can also go straight through shields now with the lesser bubble.

• I think the way shields work right now is useless for TO, and just OP and for cowards in 1v1, should be reworked around so that it would sort of be equal to not have a shield, and be viable for TO.

• No way, shields are good when used properly. In team situations they are great for protecting other people. A good shield user can block several attackers at once whilst his buddy punishes them for it. They are also really good for keeping open static objectives like balista’s covered from archer attack. The shield user in these roles doesn’t nesserily score well, but helps a lot.

Also when running as a Knight, take the Tower shield for excellent passive archer protection on your back. When you rush down an archer, you can do a 180 and block with your shield that way.

Just came off a server were rabbit scored 28/1 (he died right at the end of the map, poor bastard) he went a combination of Knight 2handed and longsword + tower shield, swapping when necessary.

Shields are not always the best for certain situations, the same for parries. Shields need a slight buff though.

• In public, you could pretty much shine with just about any weapon, could even run around with sling and top the scoreboard, that doesn’t make it viable for scrims and ect though.

• How are shield for cowards in 1v1?

• @Toll:

How are shield for cowards in 1v1?

Yes, you can just kick them and open them up for attack. I don’t see what makes shield users cowards.

• I think you could simplify your idea:
    If shield block is ‘tapped’ and timed correctly = you can riposte.
    That is the crux of it.

But you could expand from there and say that a successfully timed block costs less stamina than a ‘held block’.

You can keep the mechanism the same in the sense that if you time the block correctly you get to riposte - if you mistime the block and the blow comes later than you expected then you have held the block and can not parry and would suffer the current stamina penalty which is a little high.

• @giantyak:

I think you could simplify your idea:
    If shield block is ‘tapped’ and timed correctly = you can riposte.
    That is the crux of it.

But you could expand from there and say that a successfully timed block costs less stamina than a ‘held block’.

You can keep the mechanism the same in the sense that if you time the block correctly you get to riposte - if you mistime the block and the blow comes later than you expected then you have held the block and can not parry and would suffer the current stamina penalty which is a little high.

No, I don’t want the tap-block to be along with the current hold block. I want the shield to be fixed with this nerf and buff at the same time.

• This is a joke right? Shields shouldn’t be able to riposte, that is the penalty for using a shield and having the option of holdable block. Just remove the shield lockouts and be done with it. They’re also pretty viable in competitive play, moreso than pub play because you can actually communicate with people. Shield knights are a support class that only really works in a team environment, stop trying to gimp them further just because you can’t deal with them.
    The whole stamina drain on raise and hold time is pretty ridiculous too, charging an archer with your shield up would leave you huffing and puffing by the time you got to him, hardly worth the effort for what little projectile protection you get.