Slight Falchion Buff

• So I was looking at the Falchion today and it was surprisingly not as bad as I thought it was. It’s essentially a weaker War Axe with a slower, but more powerful stab and a weaker slash. Unfortunately, you lose significantly HTK against Vanguards and only gain a bit of stab damage, but the stab is slower anyways. Here are my proposed buffs:

War Axe:
    attack1/70/chop/.4/.6/.45/.5
    attack2/78/chop/.45/.6/.4/.5
    attack3/30/pierce/.35/.6/.35/.5

Falchion:
    attack1/65/cut/.4/.65/.4/.5
    attack2/75/chop/.45/.65/.35/.55
    attack3/50/pierce/.45/.65/.35/.5

This will simply let the Falchion have much better versatility to combo between all 3 attacks than the War Axe. The Falchion’s stab will 3 hit kill Vanguards with this change and 2 OHs+1 stab will kill Knights. The Falchion will be a weaker, slightly longer and more flexible War Axe.

• Just revert the damage on it, 2htk for vanguard was fine and how it should be with a slow and extremely short onehander

• Falchion isn’t that bad, it is already a strong weapon, but is always out-competed by other weapons. Good thing to see that you have done some research yourself and realized why exactly a weapon balancing needs to be done carefully, and also that you aren’t so heavily biased upon one guys opinion.

As for the falchion, I suppose a rather small buff could be neccesary to give it a bit more edge, but not a big one.

• @wildwulfy:

Falchion isn’t that bad, it is already a strong weapon, but is always out-competed by other weapons. Good thing to see that you have done some research yourself and realized why exactly a weapon balancing needs to be done carefully, and also that you aren’t so heavily biased upon one guys opinion.

As for the falchion, I suppose a rather small buff could be neccesary to give it a bit more edge, but not a big one.

Yeah, I’m not sure if this is enough though. When you compare my proposed Falchion to the War Axe, it still does significantly less damage. I’m not sure if very slightly more reach and more versatile comboes is enough to counteract the inability to 2 hit kill Vanguards to the body.

• @CRUSHED:

Just revert the damage on it, 2htk for vanguard was fine and how it should be with a slow and extremely short onehander

This would make it too close to the War Axe. If we did this, the War Axe would be very slightly shorter but have very slightly faster comboes. It’s just too similar IMO.

• well war axe has faster combo times and a MUCH better stab to interrupt and stuff

• @CRUSHED:

well war axe has faster combo times and a MUCH better stab to interrupt and stuff

The current War Axe combo times are only a twentieth of a second faster combo times and its stab isn’t as long nor as damaging as the Falchion’s. Like I said, if we give the Falchion war axe damaging it’ll just be a slightly longer War Axe with slightly longer combo times. It’s too similar. On top of this, the War Axe would logically do more damage and the Falchion would be more of a sword-axe hybrid with damage between swords and axes, a more useful stab than axes, reach between swords and axes and the speed can vary. I think my suggestion makes more sense and it’s more differentiating between the War Axe and Falchion.

• Some people are EPIC with the falchion in FFA, therefore, i do not think that the falchion needs any buff.

• @giantyak:

Some people are EPIC with the falchion in FFA, therefore, i do not think that the falchion needs any buff.

lol
    10chars

• expecially when its 3 feet long, it is truly an awesome weapon.
    we are calling it the grand falchion (aka the blade of warsaw) lol
    and grand she be!

• Falchion doesn’t need a buff at long as it still keeps those hilariously misplaced parry hitboxes.

• @Nohbdy111:

So I was looking at the Falchion today and it was surprisingly not as bad as I thought it was. It’s essentially a weaker War Axe with a slower, but more powerful stab and a weaker slash. Unfortunately, you lose significantly HTK against Vanguards and only gain a bit of stab damage, but the stab is slower anyways. Here are my proposed buffs:

War Axe:
    attack1/70/chop/.4/.6/.45/.5
    attack2/78/chop/.45/.6/.4/.5
    attack3/30/pierce/.35/.6/.35/.5

Falchion:
    attack1/65/cut/.4/.65/.4/.5
    attack2/75/chop/.45/.65/.35/.55
    attack3/50/pierce/.45/.65/.35/.5

This will simply let the Falchion have much better versatility to combo between all 3 attacks than the War Axe. The Falchion’s stab will 3 hit kill Vanguards with this change and 2 OHs+1 stab will kill Knights. The Falchion will be a weaker, slightly longer and more flexible War Axe.

Agreed. Falchion really needs some more advantages to make it viable. These seem pretty decent.

• Falchion used to be a god weapon, dearly miss it. It was a manly version of todays norse/hws. Not impossible to read like hws for example, but so damn effective and versatile if you knew how to handle it. Now it’s just shit. People can read 10 feints in a row from that shit and like with all one handers you run out of stamina in no time even in duels.

• I really hope they buff falchion because…

I can find something effective (as a knight) in every single one of the one handers: flanged mace, morningstar, spwinkler, broad, norse…

All good weapons, none of them ineffective - and all have a niche circumstance that they excel a bit in. Except falchion. It does nothing well at all. Theres no reason to take it, its sort of an “all rounder” in the sense that it is useless in every category compared to everything else.

Out of all the weapons in the game, falch is one that needs it most imo - and I like nohbodys suggestion tbf, of kinda balancing it similarly to war axe, but making it a bit more versatile. It just needs more fucking punch, its limp against both knights AND vans, but its short and slow… so thus bad against maa too. Go figure.

• I’ve been playing it a bit lately, I actually kinda like it, the differece is that you have to play it similary to morningstar/daneaxe and not like norse+broad. I think some more reach could be all it needs to be honest.

• It can be effective - just like anything can be effective… You can give thomi a sling and he’ll regularly go 35-5 in pub games but that doesnt make sling a viable tool. Now sling is obviously meant to play like that, but the falchion? Its not meant to be a troll weapon, its legit underpowered.

Its terrible in comparison with all the other secondaries. Sure you have to play it more like morningstar - but that doesnt change the fact that it is a much worse choice than morningstar.

Lets see -

• It reliably three shots vanguards (though not with stabs): but so does norse sword and broadsword (also with stabs - the longest attack) - and these are faster or longer respectively ANYWAY, regardless of stab reach.
    • It three shots knights (min) with ONLY overheads, yet flanged mace can do it in two, will threeshot with easier (to land) attacks - and is basically the exact same speed and effective length.
      -It CAN two shot vans with OHs headshots, but these arnt easy to land. Flanged mace, will do this even with LMB - and it is quite easy to pull off. Morningstar will do it reliably in two with 2 torso overheads, is practically the same speed, but it is longer.
    • It can two shot maas reliably anywhere with ohs and slash, but so can broadsword, which is longer and the same speed.

If you’ve ever tried to kill any maa whilst using a falchion, you’ll know that because its so short its basically a very poor tool for the job in comparison with a broadsword.

IT HAS NOTHING. Theres no reason to pick it over the others - you quite literally mathematically gimp your effectiveness by not choosing something else.

I dont normally talk numbers - because while relevant, they arent always the most important thing for comparisons. But… compared directly with any other 1h knight weapon: it is always sort of equal in most categories, yet always significantly weaker (practically speaking) in one; either speed, reach or damage.

• I think it should get wonky tracers so nobody can block it.