Longsword can't combo against Broadsword/shield: Try it yourself

• So I was just dueling and I discovered this while fighting a guy who was using the broadsword with a shield (while I was using the longsword).

I stabbed him and went for my overhead combo. In the middle of my overhead combo hit (second hit) he overheaded me and flinched me. I did it again, so did he. He was able to do it 4/4 on me. Basically the longsword can’t combo against it at this point, and likely any weapons of near speed (unless there’s some flinch reduction bonus for broadsword or shield I’m unaware of).

If this is how it’s going to be with timing the longsword does need to be buffed (brandi does massive damage and can’t combo, for example), but I’m not so sure this is intended. He literally took a hit, recovered, and then did a windup and release in the amount of time it took me to windup my second hit in a combo…

Try it out for yourselves. Get a friend and have them attack right after your first longsword stab (I only tested it on OH for the second hit, though) to OH combo. They’ll beat you every time and flinch you.

He was kind enough to test it with me (that’s how it got up to 4/4) and he agreed that’s what was happening.

• You can’t combo the longsword with a messer either. Flinch time needs to be raised up to 0.925

• .8 Flinch has made for pretty silly gameplay.

• get range while comboing

• @Monsteri:

You can’t combo the longsword with a messer either. Flinch time needs to be raised up to 0.925

I haven’t seen this with any other weapons yet, but it might just be people assume it won’t work (because it didn’t previously). Are you exaggerating, or is this true?

@CRUSHED:

get range while comboing

Eh?

• He means you should backstrafe with your second attack. Which is kind of dumb because it gives the enemy easy time evading the blow or parrying it.

• Oh what? So CRUSHED you’re arguing this should be an intended mechanic and that’s the fix, or what?

I want you to show me a video of you destroying someone using a longsword against a broadsword and doing exactly what you’re saying. because I’m willing to bet you can’t swing and walk backwards faster than he can swing and walk forwards, so it wouldn’t work anyway…

• He’s just offering a solution. Otherwise just go over to broadsword masterrace.

• You are creating a too big gap between your attacks, stabbing too close or accelerating will put you in a risk of doing so.

• @wildwulfy:

You are creating a too big gap between your attacks, stabbing too close or accelerating will put you in a risk of doing so.

No offense good sir, but hasn’t the deal with Chivalry always been “stop the combo” before going on the offensive. Are you saying this is now intended as well? Is it? I’m honestly curious here.

Honestly any range in which I am able to hit someone with the longsword will still leave me open to these hits. At the very best I can hope for a hit trade (IN THE COMBO I STARTED), but there’s no way that walking left, right, backwards, forwards, or any combination of those four, will get me outside of someone’s range to hit if they are set on hitting me after my attack hits (if I want to be in range to hit the first swing, that is). Sprinting forward and attacking will trump that strategy every time. Any gap I’m able to create with packpedalling will be closed quickly through sprinting at the same time the overhead is being executed, and EVEN THEN- am I supposed to hit him and then play to what he’s doing as though I’m on the defensive while executing my combo?

It’s RIDICULOUS that the person who gets hit now has initiative in the first place.

I understand if someone’s hitting me on the second swing and I’m dragging, but I can’t believe people are honestly onboard with this as an intended mechanic. Why not just all go broadsword?

• LOLs play halberd it cannot out combo much of anything. Distance and Timing are your greatest allies.

• @Retsnom:

LOLs play halberd it cannot out combo much of anything. Distance and Timing are your greatest allies.

But is this intended? That’s really what I want to know. These new animations are kind of shaking the grounds of what I thought Chivalry was, and I’m not liking this at all. This only further strengthens the quick, ping-based, 1 handed weapons and nerfs everything else. There’s no possible way the developers intended for this… is there?

• I think we can all agree the current 0.8 flinch time isn’t working, but as it stands up until the flinch time is modified, nothing can be done about it, yes? Try something different instead of lamenting about how you will be forever stuck in a hopeless scenario. Why not just try what Crushed said? 400 hours isn’t a lot of time, but playing against the heavy hitters, I’ve only seen one person attempt to interrupt my combo, and that was some guy from the…faulkner (I believe that’s who they are? Correct me if I’m wrong) clan. Other than that, I have never seen anyone sprint into my combo after a tirst successful hit.

• 0.8 flinch is working fine

backpedal, dont do lookdowns into lookdowns, do drags into lookdowns etc mix up your release times, go for safer combos (e.g : oh into stab) and you wont have trouble with people interrupting

and if they do anyway, CFTP and **** them for their predictable playstyle

• Well it is clear that all weapons differ in swing speed and range. The speeds increase slightly when you combo as there is no real cool down between. A combo is faster than pressing one attack till finished then another. But because each weapon has a different swing speed and combo speeds, then yes this was intended. You usually trade off swing/combo speed for range, damage, cool down, etc. Thus the long sword has a different range than the broadsword or any and all weapons.

The biggest trick that I have been harping on for a while that solves most all problems is distance and timing. Know your range, know your enemies range. Then exploit the timing. Thus if you know that the broadsword can out combo you, then dont try and out combo or even combo at all. A well timed individual attacks exploiting the gaps in his combo can do the trick as long as you maintain proper distance and timing.

Also what Crushed said, mix up your play style and attacks. Always keep them guessing.

• @CRUSHED:

0.8 flinch is working fine

backpedal, dont do lookdowns into lookdowns, do drags into lookdowns etc mix up your release times, go for safer combos (e.g : oh into stab) and you wont have trouble with people interrupting

Stab, CFTP, OH… thank god I don’t have to make a decision about my third hit, because there’s not enough stamina to do it anyway.

Honestly, that’s what you’re calling balanced?

The successful attacker should have initiative. This is silly.

No, I’ll just go broadsword now. I don’t have to come up with some backwater way to successfully combo, and I can fuck all of the people who hit me. Seriously, shoot me now.

• @Retsnom:

The biggest trick that I have been harping on for a while that solves most all problems is distance and timing. Know your range, know your enemies range. Then exploit the timing. Thus if you know that the broadsword can out combo you, then dont try and out combo or even combo at all. A well timed individual attacks exploiting the gaps in his combo can do the trick as long as you maintain proper distance and timing.

Honestly if this is what I have to do with the LS then it needs a MASSIVE buff (brandi can’t combo, has better reach AND a faster LMB, but does a TON more damage). I don’t think this can be argued because it’s going to take me 3-4 hits to down a knight anyway (like the Broadsword will), except now I can’t combo (like the broadsword can).

• @CRUSHED:

get range while comboing

Then any good player will just turn around and run. You’ll whiff.

• @quigleyer:

Honestly if this is what I have to do with the LS then it needs a MASSIVE buff (brandi can’t combo, has better reach AND a faster LMB, but does a TON more damage). I don’t think this can be argued because it’s going to take me 3-4 hits to down a knight anyway (like the Broadsword will), except now I can’t combo (like the broadsword can).

Vanguard weapons are supposed to be stronger than knight weapons. LS is somewhat okay, flinch times could of course use a slight increase though.

• @CRUSHED:

0.8 flinch is working fine

backpedal,

You can’t backpedal faster than they can sprint.

dont do lookdowns into lookdowns, do drags into lookdowns etc mix up your release times

You don’t even have to do that at all. You can stare at them in the chest and do an OH-OH combo and get hit traded by something with a .6 windup.

, go for safer combos (e.g : oh into stab) and you wont have trouble with people interrupting

If you OH into stab then your next combo is guaranteed to be able to be interrupted by most weapons.

CFTP is does not guarantee that you get your initiative back, however. You are still susceptible to getting feinted or dragged. Basically in order to maintain your initiative in a fight you are forced to lose the initiative and get it again so you can keep it… C’mon man, don’t tell me that doesn’t sound silly.