Why the Combo System should be tweaked

• Right now the combo system rewards players for misses, which in itself means that it’s not a combo in addition to creating odd combat situations.

What I mean is you can throw out your first strike, whiff, but still follow up with a 2nd strike while also gaining the speed advantage that a combo offers. I believe in Shara’s combat tutorial this was even pointed out as a good tactic to use.

The problem is, you can use good spacing and movement to dodge your opponents initial strike, go in for your counter, but because he combo’d off the whiff he’s still at the speed advantage and will land his hit before your properly executed counter can land. In that situation, the skilled player was not rewarded.

That doesn’t sound right does it? What it does is not punish enough for spamming, and doesn’t present enough of a risk / reward for the combo. It also does not put enough emphasis on actually needing to land the initial strike, which in turn would make combat even more tactical and thrilling as it’s more important to find that opening and string a proper combo together. Finally, it does not reward enough for dodging and countering either, being that even if you make him miss your opponent still has the upper hand with a whiffed combo.

The speed bonus should only come into play when the first strike in the combo actually hits, else it’s not really a combo to begin with.

• Alternatively, the basic combo mechanics can stay intact, but be adjusted whereas the speed bonus is only granted after a successful hit. That way it doesn’t shake things up too much, but still gets back to rewarding the skill player in every situation. Any thoughts?

• That is the point… You can trick your enemy with the first strike then hit him with the 2nd combo swing, they also included that in the tutorial.

And its easy as hell to win against a player who is just spamming left mouse button

• Its kinda cool this way because you see so many different fighting styles

• The punishment for a whiffed combo is a hit to your stamina. If they stack that on top of eliminating the slight timing advantage it tips the risk/reward factor of a combo over to risk. You might as well stick to single strikes. You could hit with the first and still whiff with the second.

If they do remove the speed bonus on whiffs, I’d like to see you get a reach boost on your second and third strikes to balance it out.

Also, you have an additional incentive to parry now because it breaks your opponents combo opportunity. So that helps to balance things out.

• I very rarely combo. I find it just leaves you too open. The only time a combo is good to do, IMO, is when your first attack flinches the enemy. If they start swinging after your first attack hits them, they’ll usually be able to hit you before your combo comes back 'round anyway, either flinching you out of it if you’re using a slow weapon - leaving you open to be comboed in return - or trading hits with you if you’re using a fast weapon, meaning you’ll probably take more damage.

• @SapientWolf:

The punishment for a whiffed combo is a hit to your stamina. If they stack that on top of eliminating the slight timing advantage it tips the risk/reward factor of a combo over to risk. You might as well stick to single strikes. You could hit with the first and still whiff with the second.

If they do remove the speed bonus on whiffs, I’d like to see you get a reach boost on your second and third strikes to balance it out.

Also, you have an additional incentive to parry now because it breaks your opponents combo opportunity. So that helps to balance things out.

I’m not saying spam is hard to beat, I just find it funny that you can make someone miss, go in for the counter and still get beat just because he swung a second time.

• actually you can interrupt his second swing if you manage to hit while he is in the prepare-animation.