Need advice fighting MaA

• So I main knight with longsword and broadsword, and I want to improve my game when fighting MaA.

I think it is down to a lack of experience, I usually do classic duel these days and most players there are knight/vanguard. When I do a TO, I generally avoid Maa, as I don’t think its knights role to go chasing Maa.

Anyways, I usually use broadsword vs them and try force hit trades, which does work sometimes but I was wondering if there was any broadsword drags that are effective against them.

Also I think my footwork when fighting MaA could be improved so any advice/tips in that area would be great.

That’s the two areas I feel I need to improve most, although if anyone can think of anything else that would help, that would be great.

• I’m not a pro by any means, but often I find that if you never stop pressuring the MaA you’ll kill him eventually as long as you parry timely. Try side stab drags and feinting mercilessly whenever you get in range to hit them. If they dodge out, cftp and keep running towards them and repeat until they run out of stamina to dodge. Then you are on even fighting grounds.

In TO maps, you can basically ignore the MaA if they are just lunging outside the battle. They’re being a zero contribution to their team if they’re not drawing attention or attempting to finish an objective. You could run toward them and do a few attacks, and if they dodge, leave them be and return to the objective.

• Back-pedalling helps with the over confident MAA or the MAA who had been pubstomping all day and has finally meet someone who’s a little different.

I always try and bait the MAA or waste his stamina dodging. Baiting often results in hit trades. But as a knight you are better off. You can’t really feint them unless they are in a corner as they just dodge. With some MAA you can hit them once and hey will run off. They care too much about their KD.

• You should try out 1h Longsword against maa, it works surprisingly well.
    The lookdown overheads are quite fast and its reach often allows you to hit them even if they dodge back,
    the alt-slash is especially useful for that. The only downside is that you can’t 2shot them with torso stabs.

Before the latest patch feints also worked well against them, but since the dodge delay after parrying is gone, i wouldn’t recommend offensive feints anymore, as it’s a waste of stamina most of the time.

• I love the quick responses I get when asking for help here, thanks guys.

I am mostly talking about classic duel because like I said, I usually ignore them in TO, unless they are in the way.

I try and keep the pressure on them, but was mostly wondering about footwork and drags. Do you find trying to sidestep their stabs effective? Any other tricks/tips you can think of?

Thanks!

• If it’s a slash you could try fucking, but any good MaA will not fall for sidestepping so for stabs it’s a risky attempt. You can dodge some of the distant attacks with footwork, though it won’t really gain you the initiative as they can just strafe away from the mistake. It eats up some stamina though for what it’s worth.

One trick many a MaA has fallen for is to force a hit trade, then back off all scared-looking, the effect is greater if you happen to be whiffing as well. They’ll get greedy and try to finish you with a stab, but before their windup even begins you quit the crouch-mode and sprint a stab into their neck.

When dealing with MaA you have the disadvantage, so for me it’s mainly just being patient and pressuring them to do mistakes.

• @Monsteri:

If it’s a slash you could try fucking

Really? What key do I press for this game mechanic lol, I assume you meant ducking. I’ll try looking scared also :p
    thanks.

Edit: TB, if you see this I’d pay for a hip thrusting animation/emote

• This post is deleted!

• It’s a mix between Monsteri’s and Eic’s strategies.
    Either bait the Man at Arms by backpedaling, forcing him to make mistakes, or put him under constant pressure by actually staying as close as possible, usually urging them to waste more time creating more distance and thus draining their stamina pool rapidly.

Don’t do something inbetween though. Either play agressive or let the Man at Arms come to you.

• This sounds like good advice, I shall try it. Thanks guys.

• I think people are over-complicating this. The best thing you can do to fight an MAA is to land your attacks and parry theirs. Mostly use LMB’s in case they try to side dodge. Crouch and lean back every time they attack so it’s easier for you to parry their drags. Win the stamina war, and feint them if they’ve put themselves in a vulnerable position. Also make liberal use of CFTP.

• If you’re at full health and you can’t be arsed just hittrade, they’ll die in 1-2 hits meanwhile you’ll be able to take 3-4 of their attacks.
    Otherwise don’t riposte, wait for a split second then start an attack and you’ll catch up with any dodge forcing them to block.

• Depends on the MaA you are fighting.

If they are the sort to instantly just spam their dodge after you parry their attacks then you can just beat them in a stamina battle if you pressure him. If it’s a TO, fights are usually pretty fast and brutal. You don’t want to get bogged down in a long engagement with a single MaA and he doesn’t want to get bogged down with you either. This usually means that they are impatient. Impatient MaA’s die quickly, bad MaA just mash their dodge after every parry.

If you’re a Knight then I would suggest just using Norse/Broadsword or the SoW. Pub MaA aren’t that much of a threat, don’t feel obligated to fight them fairly, run away if you need, hide behind your mates. If you’re 1v1 with a MaA, make sure you land your parries and only riposte when you know they cannot dodge it.

Allowing a MaA to just dance around you and combo’ing you to death is the fastest way a Knight dies, just follow Flippy’s advice and make sure you land those parries. There’s something very threatening about Broadsword/Norse Knights when you simply just can’t get around their defence and they parry every attack. Hit trades work as well if you know when to do it, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Main thing is, don’t panic against them. Only start panicking if they got 2 free hits on you and nothing in return.

• How to fight MaA: don’t

• @Nohbdy111:

How to fight MaA: don’t

bbbbazinga

• @Nohbdy111:

How to fight MaA: don’t

I too try to avoid them, they irritate me so much haha.

• @Flippy:

I think people are over-complicating this. The best thing you can do to fight an MAA is to land your attacks and parry theirs. Mostly use LMB’s in case they try to side dodge. Crouch and lean back every time they attack so it’s easier for you to parry their drags. Win the stamina war, and feint them if they’ve put themselves in a vulnerable position. Also make liberal use of CFTP.

I like this, this is really good advice. 1 on 1 or many versus many, this is what MaA fighting seems to be about.

Also, just don’t riposte on them unless you’re fairly confident in landing it. I’m not sure about you guys, but I can’t riposte+combo into a cftp in time to parry that dodge+run forward+stab. I thought it used to work, but that was very long ago and I might be wrong.

I hate to say it, but recovery parry was actually really good for that scenario. Now it’s all self control again… which is fine once you get used to it.

• @Flippy:

Win the stamina war, and feint them if they’ve put themselves in a vulnerable position.

I would advice against feinting MAAs now. They can dodge from parry recovery in current patch, making them very resistant against feints. Sure, if you have him cornered and bubble-blocked with your body feinting is viable. But in open fields? They can just dodge after they fall for feint.

• Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll be sure to try more slashes in future. And try crouch + leaning back. Cheers.

• Fighting an MaA as a Knight is usually a death sentence if the MaA is actually good. If he’s a good MaA, then the only way you’re gonna beat him as a knight is a lot of skill and a bit of luck. If he’s not so good, squishy squishy maul splat.