The tutorial NEEDS to be fixed before the next sale/free weekend

• Throw the old one out the window and redo it from the ground up. Dedicate a beta testing period to it if you have to.

It needs to teach parrying at facehug range, manipulating your swing/stab, combo feint to parry, pip, how to properly fight alongside teammates, how to defend against the average feint, stuff like that.

Basically stuff that new players would have no clue of.

Edit: Sign the petition: https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/torn-banner-studios-make-a-newer-better-tutorial-for-new-players

• Hopefully i can finish a lot of my quick tips vids by then. Perhaps it will help a lot in addition to tutorial updates. Thanks for giving me another video idea to work on for “how to properly fight alongside teammates” – can’t believe i forgot a simple one like that just so we can hopefully see less TKing LMB spammers.

• For god’s sake please just make a brand new tutorial. It would make the pub community so much healthier and the average skill of pubbers would increase dramatically. People would also stop complaining about basic mechanics like dragging and feinting.

• Or just… you know.
    Make the tutorial less easy to break.

• I agree, even if it was just put into a video at the end of the tutorial showing all these mechanics it would be much better than what we have now.

Heck someone like Hexen would probably gladly do this so all TB would have to do is put the video in the tutorial.

Please make the tutorial a priority Torn Banner.

• Not only that, the join game button should be locked before doing the tutorial so you must go through it.

• @Xylvion:

Not only that, the join game button should be locked before doing the tutorial so you must go through it.

Be careful what you wish for, I could just see TB messing this up and it forcing everyone to play the tutorial again after each update lol.

• This is a must. It will result in a more stable playerbase, theres no doubt about it. The amount of times you see low rankers typing “OMG WTF HACKER” or something like that in chat in response to a cftp or a drag then quitting (probably to never play again) is staggering.

It makes me sad. And I want to play public games where I can do all that kind of thing without people quitting over it due to a lack of understanding about it.

In the tutorial:

• Teach players about accelerations and decelerations: how you can manipulate the swing arc to land earlier or later.

• Teach them about FtP to avoid hit trades.

• By extension teach them about CFtP.

• Teach them about PiP.

• Teach them about feint reading by avoiding twitch parrying and blocking as late as possible.

–------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, as others have said: if it needs to be done on the cheap do a video for it and slap it in. But it needs to be done.

• Or just make an option to watch videos in game like NS2.

• Developer

This is a route we are considering, looking for some community partners to help us make some videos for inclusion in either the launcher or main menu. I agree that the tutorial doesn’t fully prepare players for what they will face online so hopefully these videos can help a great deal.

• @Tibberius:

This is a route we are considering, looking for some community partners to help us make some videos for inclusion in either the launcher or main menu. I agree that the tutorial doesn’t fully prepare players for what they will face online so hopefully these videos can help a great deal.

How about you make the tutorial a level where you have giant white screens in a circle or so, each showing videos of different mechanics such as:
    -Parrying
    -Comboing
    -Dragging
    -Feinting
    -Flinch
    -FtP
    -CftP
    -Matrixing
    -Different gamemodes

Then implement a tournament area where you can spawn bots at will through some fancy interface to test the mechanics you just learned about. Give players the option to choose the enemy amount and classes. Also work AI a bit so that they combo and parry a bit more often, and new players can prepare themselves for the multiplayer much better. If a player tries to join multiplayer on a fresh install, he should be given a prompt to try out the tutorial first.

You’ll see a huge skill increase on new players, thus resulting in a much more stable playerbase as well because the newbies won’t get so frustrated when they lose to these tricks.

• The biggest thing that needs to be addressed IMO is to inform new players about the existence of drags. Bradistock overheads can be dragged up to 200 degrees and the amount of new playersI get that call me a hacker or complain that parrying does not work is much too high.

• @Tibberius:

Have you tried HEXEN or Sir_Pink?

• The best way to provide a tutorial for people would probably be in game cut scenes or recordings where you show live action of people fighting in Chiv and then perhaps slowing it down and explaining points.

Showing people how others do it is the best way because they can then emulate it. Teaching people such things like you still need to aim your shield blocks and that the shield covering your screen can be disorientating for when you need to precisely aim your block at a dragged attack.

As much as I liked the funny tutorial and the effort that went into it with the voices and explanation, it’s simply grown too old and I don’t think an update will cut it. Start from scratch, cover the basics but also cover the techniques needed to counter these tactics. Try not to promote one play style. Live demonstration via videos is the best bet.

I wouldn’t like a tutorial that only linked YT videos if it wanted to teach my something, I would like it if it showed me a cut scene of what to do in a real situation.

• @DokB:

I wouldn’t like a tutorial that only linked YT videos if it wanted to teach my something, I would like it if it showed me a cut scene of what to do in a real situation.

YT video would be better than nothing, if there are time/money constraints, or as a stopgap measure until something better can be made.

• Yeah absolutely. Even if they just linked a couple of good YT videos in the live feed or the launcher title which everyone can agree on which provides good explanation to things would be good until a proper tutorial can be made then sure.

I’m just saying that having YT links alone gives off the impression of laziness and not much thought

• The tutorial in DW was a good idea as it was more open and challenging, plus had the rooms that showed the hitboxes and damage. However I doubt it would teach noobs about dragging, lookdown overheads etc.

• @DokB:

The best way to provide a tutorial for people would probably be in game cut scenes or recordings where you show live action of people fighting in Chiv and then perhaps slowing it down and explaining points.

Showing people how others do it is the best way because they can then emulate it. Teaching people such things like you still need to aim your shield blocks and that the shield covering your screen can be disorientating for when you need to precisely aim your block at a dragged attack.

As much as I liked the funny tutorial and the effort that went into it with the voices and explanation, it’s simply grown too old and I don’t think an update will cut it. Start from scratch, cover the basics but also cover the techniques needed to counter these tactics. Try not to promote one play style. Live demonstration via videos is the best bet.

Natural Selection 2 used linked Youtube videos and it worked quite nicely.

I HAVE AN IDEA GUYS AND DEVS. How about we hold a community video contest. The winners get their videos used for Chiv. The videos need to get straight to the point and be about just one item. Like a video for basic parrying or a video for defending against feints. Here’s what it looks like inside NS2:
    The main menu for the videos: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246641519
    Marine basics sub-menu: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246641536
    Marine advanced sub-menu: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246641547

• Mod

I’ll be a background actor/hit dummy if you need one ;) Definitely agree with updating the tutorial. Even a video at the end of the basic tutorial would help.

• @DokB:

Yeah absolutely. Even if they just linked a couple of good YT videos in the live feed or the launcher title which everyone can agree on which provides good explanation to things would be good until a proper tutorial can be made then sure. I’m just saying that having YT links alone gives off the impression of laziness and not much thought

I agree, we need a good interactive tutorial. Thats the best way of learning, youtube videos can be helpfull, but not on the same level. I think that a better tutorial is what this game needs the most.

This game has such a little comunity here in Brazil, and I don’t see too many noobs that stay on the game and try to git gud because swing manipulation is not intuittive (what other game has this and does heavy use of the mechanics?) and the first time you see it, looks like a glitch or who the fuck knows.

This only makes the comunity more toxic, because noobs get mad and quit the game/start speaking shit to others, and all this just because we don’t have a good tutorial. I mean, I like the model of it, kind of funny singleplayer experience, thats a nice route to go because keeps the player entertained while he is learning. The advanced combat training just need to be an advanced combat training, because comboing and feinting isn’t really advanced combat in this game. Maybe show the player how the tracer sistem works too, like in DW, and some bots that are skilled with drags in general, so they can pratice parry this things before multiplayer experience.

This is a pretty unforgiving game for noobs, they get their ass kicked and doesn’t even understand how it happened. That just suck and needs to change. This game deserves a bigger comunity.