Death by parry bug?

• So yesterday I was dueling this guy, got him to low health, a kick would have finished him, but I didn’t get the opportunity to do so immediately.

So instead I swing at him, he parries it, we both see and hear him parry, then as soon as that happens he falls down dead.

The guy said this has happened to him once before but only when on 1 health.

I was just wondering if this was lag or a bug, we both had around 40-50 ping so it looked like a bug to me. Anyone else seen this?

• Heaps of times.

• I had the same issue. I was dueling with a friend. I attacked him and he blocked it - In the same time we both heard that he got hit. He said that he parried succesfully and lost 1 hp.

• @Tyoson:

Heaps of times.

Hmm ok, well it’s the first time I have seen it in 400+ hours. So is it a known bug or what?

@Vesanus, for me there was no hit animation or sound, just the parry sound then the death gurgle as he fell.

• Known bug, you take damage when parrying sometimes.

• Fair enough, I’d just never seen it or heard/read about it before.

• @DokB:

Known bug, you take damage when parrying sometimes.

Just for fun- any idea of what’s causing it? I always thought it was a double hit (I’ve seen a few hits that do A LOT more damage than they should), and just want to know if that’s really what’s happening.

Yesterday I swung at a guy, he parried in the correct manner, I heard the parry… then I saw my sword continue RIGHT through him with a slight stutter. I’m not sure if this is the same thing or not… as most of the time it looks like a successful parry and then you die, rather than having the sword continue to move.

• @quigleyer:

Just for fun- any idea of what’s causing it? I always thought it was a double hit (I’ve seen a few hits that do A LOT more damage than they should), and just want to know if that’s really what’s happening.

Yesterday I swung at a guy, he parried in the correct manner, I heard the parry… then I saw my sword continue RIGHT through him with a slight stutter. I’m not sure if this is the same thing or not… as most of the time it looks like a successful parry and then you die, rather than having the sword continue to move.

The weird thing is that it only deals the damage a kick would do. If it was a double hit, it would deal regular damage. But whenever that bug happened, I only got or dealed kick-damage. My guess is a faulty packet or server error.

• @Stuffy:

The weird thing is that it only deals the damage a kick would do. If it was a double hit, it would deal regular damage. But whenever that bug happened, I only got or dealed kick-damage. My guess is a faulty packet or server error.

Does your screen turn red when it happens? I’ve only ever noticed it when dying… if it’s taking such a low health-reducer it could be happening a lot more than I assumed.

• @quigleyer:

Does your screen turn red when it happens? I’ve only ever noticed it when dying… if it’s taking such a low health-reducer it could be happening a lot more than I assumed.

Sometimes my screens turns red as if I was hit, sometimes not. It happens from time to time, but you mostly don’t notice it since it only a very small amount of damage.

• Even more fun when a short lagspike occurs at the very time you get hit and you receive 3x the usual damage.

• I hear the parry sound, and see the animation, but I still get hit. I think it’s just caused by me having 100 ping. It sucks, but that’s chivalry.

• I didnt think it was a bug, I was under the impression if you are out of stamina and low in health, you dont have enough stamina for a parry and you take the difference in damage. Thus if you are low enough in health that difference will kill you. That is a logical explaination and it would be legit if that is the case.

• It’s not just a kill hit though. Sometimes it just does damage.

• Yeah definitely had that quite a few times.

• @Retsnom:

I didnt think it was a bug, I was under the impression if you are out of stamina and low in health, you dont have enough stamina for a parry and you take the difference in damage. Thus if you are low enough in health that difference will kill you. That is a logical explaination and it would be legit if that is the case.

When you don’t have enough stamina you get stunned.

• @dudeface:

When you don’t have enough stamina you get stunned.

yes and if you have low health you get killed. but I could be wrong. I cannot imagine that the devs would allow parry/stun infinity. It is probably a combination of a late or early parry that is client side says success but server corrects it and you are dead due to lag. I have noticed that when I have really great ping like 20ish and everyone is 60+, that 40ms difference is huge and not in my favor as you would think.

• This has definitely happened to me, I was dueling my friend and quite a few times I would parry his opening attack but for some reason take the damage equivalent to a kick.