Suggestion for Autobalance(ANOTHER ONE!)

• Yup, another thread about Autobalance. It’s just hard to correctly balance a game.

Anyhow: easy question. Does the image below show a TO match with even, balanced teams?

Autobalance thinks it does.

My suggestion is to make Autobalance work with points. Each player is worth a certain amount of points that somewhat depicts how good they are at the game.

Points=Rank+20.

This means that at rank 50 you’ll be worth 70 points. But at rank 0 you’ll still be worth at least 20 points(because even the best players among us can get overwhelmed by a too great amount of enemies, so it would be weird to say a good player can deal with an infinite amount of bad players.)

Most of all, It’d influence the “random” button at the team selection screen. As of now, chances are that each uneven number who joins is better than the one who joins after him. If these good players coincidentally choose the same team then it forces the lesser players to join the other. That’s hardly fair.

But with the above system, it would be like this:
    Agatha / Mason
    15| Player1 / 50| Player2
    7| Player3 / 39| Player4
    2| Player5 / –-

Player6 joins the game. But instead of joining the team with fewer people, he will(if he presses “random”) join the team with fewer total points.

Of course, people can and will swap team manually from time to time. And this system does nothing to counter-balance that mid-round. That’s something that will still require a lot of attention.

This just makes sure that these kind of matches aren’t already unbalanced when they have yet to begin.

• the issue i have with this is i like to play with my friends… and i’m sure others like to play with their friends too.

not a bad idea in theory, but it would be bad for the game. I’m already getting autobalanced like every game and i have no idea what it goes by right now. why would I get balanced currently in a almost full game minus 1 person, then i get balanced and both teams are then full? is some asshole in spectate causing me to get autobalanced or what?

• Could be combined with my proposal by decreasing the switch priority if a player would unbalance the total points of the teams:

nBP = BP - X*(( <bigger team="" points="" total="">- <smaller team="" points="" total="">)/2 - <player points="">)²

where nBP/BP are the balance points - in case of switch the highest value gets switched - and X is some factor - should be fairly small as all the components in BP are linear while the new part is quadratic.</player></smaller></bigger>

• @50ShadesofClay:

the issue i have with this is i like to play with my friends… and i’m sure others like to play with their friends too.

not a bad idea in theory, but it would be bad for the game. I’m already getting autobalanced like every game and i have no idea what it goes by right now. why would I get balanced currently in a almost full game minus 1 person, then i get balanced and both teams are then full? is some asshole in spectate causing me to get autobalanced or what?

I’ve noticed being auto-balanced 2-3 times in a row, which is really frustrating. I know people say that it’s the last person joined, but this was not the case in the game this last happened to me, I had been playing in the server for around three games at that point and was tippy top of the scoreboard. It’s just so weird sometimes.

I think most of us agree auto-balance needs a change. Pub stacking is common, even when it’s not coordinated (some people just want to play a certain side). Often-times it’s all about being on the right side of that stack.

• @quigleyer:

I’ve noticed being auto-balanced 2-3 times in a row, which is really frustrating. I know people say that it’s the last person joined, but this was not the case in the game this last happened to me, I had been playing in the server for around three games at that point and was tippy top of the scoreboard. It’s just so weird sometimes.

I think most of us agree auto-balance needs a change. Pub stacking is common, even when it’s not coordinated (some people just want to play a certain side). Often-times it’s all about being on the right side of that stack.

As soon as it says(or used to say actually) “Autobalance is now in progress”, it waits until someone on the team dies. That player is then teamswapped.
    Seriously if there was ever something irrelevant to balance, it would be whoever dies first at a given time. Needs changing ASAP.

• @quigleyer:

It hasn’t been last person to join for a long time. Right now it is first person to die when the teams are unbalanced. Meaning the people actually sacrificing there life trying to do an objective get moved to the other team while an archer sitting in the back on attack never gets moved.

• @sharkh20:

It hasn’t been last person to join for a long time. Right now it is first person to die when the teams are unbalanced. Meaning the people actually sacrificing there life trying to do an objective get moved to the other team while an archer sitting in the back on attack never gets moved.

Yeah the last time I played up until the last week was 2-3 months ago, so I’m not up to snuff. You’re right though, that’s a terrible auto-balance solution.

• The person swapped should be in the top 5 highest ranks of the team. No team wants the lvl 8 archer who just hangs back taking pot shots at the enemies spawn.

• I just think it should be down to last person to join the server. Makes sense.

• You make it to switch the highest rank guy and you only get hate, ragequits or other attempts to get back to previous team. Not much enrages more than getting switched after you did most of the hassle. Switching the latest joined makes more sense as he got the smallest roots in his team, he didn’t do much yet so it shouldn’t bother him as much to just fight different people and do different objective.

Also to note if the teams are really unbalanced then the game is going to end quickly and new teams will be formed at the beginning of the next map. If you stand against team stacking then no autobalance patch gonna fix it.

• @gndo:

I just think it should be down to last person to join the server. Makes sense.

Yeah not sure why they changed that - last person to join is of some random rank and least vested in the match so why not?