Patch 24 Beta has some SDK-related changes impacting modding and map editing

• Developer

Cross-posting for any relevant SDK-related talk so it doesn’t get drowned out of the other thread, and particularly to point out the AOCFamilyInfo change which will impact code mods somewhat.

From the patch thread:

SDK Changes

• TO2 - Mutator / map-driven TO-type mode

• Existing objective staging code from TO will not work in TO2; there are helper nodes planned to make staging a bit easier, as well as other nodes to manually set stage descriptions and such, but these are not done and work on TO2 is currently in slow burn. This makes TO2 less suitable for “classic” TO maps right now, and more suitable to weird experimental Kismet-driven game modes (examples to come)

• New node to set who will win when time runs out

• CustomScoring mutator to steer scoring, kills, deaths, assists

• add nodes to manually set kills, deaths, assists
        • events for CustomScoring; fires events on kills, deaths, assists, etc.
      • add mapinfo option to force manual kills, deaths, assists scoring

• add node to manually set score outside of CustomScoring mutator

• custom team setup mutator, plus support in GRI and HUD

• VIP Mutator and KillTargets mutators

• KillTargets – nice automatic tracking of kill targets; could be used in an LTS mode, horde mode, VIP mode, ‘peasant killing’ objective, etc.

• VIP – is not implemented yet, however the idea is:

• The assassination objective, reimagined as a mutator for TO2 with a nicer interface, modularity, blahblahblah
          • child of KillTargets, some defaults set differently
          • The TO2 PC, and TO2 itself know nothing about this mutator specifically, unlike the situation with the previous solution and AOCTeamObjective/AOCTeamObjectivePC/AOCObjective_Assassination
        • “PurchaseBox” actor

• lets you “purchase” things by subtracting points from a player’s score or from a SpecialCustomScoring mutator
    • ChangeHealthPawnAndMax and ChangePawnGroundSpeed nodes

• Map-definable AOCFamilyInfos

• In TO2 (only!), can be used to replace existing players’ classes

• In all modes, can be used to spawn custom family bots

• Changes significant portions of code, may require existing mods be updated!

• however, the code to mod AOCFamilyInfos should be cleaner now…
    • sdk treepack branch collision set properly

• disabled per poly so arrows/siege weapons don’t hit them
    • potentially fix issue where AOCNPC_New’s could broadcast the fact they spawned to the chat

• add CMWSeqAction_TO2_StartResetLevel

• CMW HUD Marker

• Will remove itself (optionally) if owner is killed
      • New “add marker” nodes: one will just add a marker without attaching (but with more options), one is a helper that will add a marker / attach it / set it to auto-destroy when owner dies (for easy pawn attachment, for instance)
    • Set up editconditions for customization overriding kismet functions to make prettier

• Add CMWSeqAction_ChangePlayerWeapon (in AOC Actions as “Change Player Weapons”); lets you change an individual weapon without completely breaking the rest of the pawn’s inventory

• add GiantSlayers pawn code to AOC

• add an optional pawn class overrider in AOCFamilyInfo (coupled with map-definable AOCFamilyInfos, lets you, e.g., spawn giant bots)

• Add PC as output variable for Kismet ClientToServerBridges so you know who fired the event (you could, for instance, use this to grab player button input from the client and route it to server Kismet to do… something…)

• Will this patch impact the contest?

• Really looking forward to this! keep up the good work!

• Developer

@NATO:

Will this patch impact the contest?

You do not have to use any of the new features. I don’t really foresee any map contest maps using TO2 at all, and the other features (aside from the new HUD marker class/nodes) are a little on the crazy side. Like I say in the notes, TO2 is sort of more suitable for crazy gameplay experiments at the moment than for “real” TO maps. (edit: not saying it isn’t possible if you really want to use it, just that I’m doubting we’re going to see any contest entries using it)

The one little feature some people might want to play with, and that Coldfront itself is going to use (setting in Kismet who will in when time runs out in ‘normal’ TO) isn’t in yet.

There are some Coldfront assets that might be worth something.

• Developer

This update should make more sense once we get some example content rolling out. Its in the works…

• Awesome, well done guys :)

I have played around a bit with TO2 stuff, but I have so far not needed it. Does the TO2 stuff run better server-side? As in is it more optimized than just TO stuff, or is it more to give extra control for unique/strange objectives?

• Lol it would appear Crushed can now finally make his map allow for him to use Knight with Greatsword then.

• This is cool. Looking forward to more TO2 stuff.

• Developer

@Otreum:

Awesome, well done guys :)

I have played around a bit with TO2 stuff, but I have so far not needed it. Does the TO2 stuff run better server-side? As in is it more optimized than just TO stuff, or is it more to give extra control for unique/strange objectives?

At the moment, purely to give more control to level designers / give them control in different ways.

• All looks very promising. using some of the new nodes already (not TO).

I had this plan fir a totally different type of map that TO2 would help with. but then the compition came along so its on hold. but……

I would need for players to possess these oawns with fifferent weapons, meshes, weapons etc. could that be done through kismet?

• Developer

@MassiveChaos:

I would need for players to possess these oawns with fifferent weapons, meshes, weapons etc. could that be done through kismet?

I don’t know if I’m grokking this correctly, but I’ll take a stab at it:

• You are still limited to 3 weapons per player at one time (primary, secondary, tertiary)
    • You could, however, set up a special key to switch those weapons out (using a client-side Key Press event connected to a Client->Server Bridge connected to the new Weapon Change node, which doesn’t completely respawn a pawn, unlike the old Change Loadout node)

I’m not sure what you’re talking about with the “meshes, weapons, etc.” though

• @CrustaceanSoup:

I don’t know if I’m grokking this correctly, but I’ll take a stab at it:
    I’m not sure what you’re talking about with the “meshes, weapons, etc.” though

yeah was typing on a mobile sorry for that.

I want to create a totally bespoke character, with a set of 2 or 3 weapons, choose which skeletal mesh is used for the character and choose the materials too and then have a player inhabit that character and play as it.

• Developer

The only issue with that at the moment is there is no way to create an AOCCharacterInfo in a map, which is the thing that describes a player’s appearance. You’d only be able to choose from ones we’ve included in the game. You need a code mod.

• I guess that is what you do when you get a player to become a king - yeah it would be cool to have control of this on an kismet and industrial scale :-)

• this all sounds really good, nice work guys.