PATCH FPS WOES

• i don’t know what this patch did devs, it’s the SAME issue i had with the beta that introduced the animations and the new dlc armors and shit.

Well… I was able to get about 120 fps constantly before any of these new patches. After some of the recent patches i fluxuated between 100-110 mostly around 110 which is okay, good but could be better but totally playable. In the most recent patch (and mind you none of my settings have changd and i have a 3770k oc’d to 4.7, and a gtx680SC

I now with this latest patch fluxuate between 60-80fps with uncapped.

I even lowered my settings all the way down to low, none of the settings made any difference in my FPS… none. Still getting shitty ass frame rates.

The only thing i seem to be able to do is turn my resolution all the way down… and all my settings down.

I am not playing on some toaster computer, sure it’s not like total biscuits with SLI titans, but i should more than be able to handle this game and get 120fps on it as i have and always did in the past.

What… the… actual… fuck?

My fps is literally getting halved here. Can we look into this?

And right now as i speak, i am now fluxuating between 30-70fps on citadel… and its not like minor fluxuations its like JUMPING around… it cycles from 30-70 and then repeats OVER and OVER.

Doing a stat unit

FRAME 12-20ms
    GAME fluxuations between 8-11ms
    DRAW between 7-12ms
    GPU - 6-13MS

As you can see also by stat unit, those values are fluxuating like crazy and doing the exact smae thing my frames are. I have the latest nvidia drivers aside from the new beta ones that just came out today, which only seem to affect the 700 series anyhow. Game just updated… and i’m just getting piss poor frames now to the point where people are just teleporting, i can’t see what swings are coming at me or judge range at all… i can hit someone and then all of a sudden they’re behind me or i’m dead… i can’t parry properly or really even play properly at all.

HAAAAALP!

• Mod

Have your configs been reverted to turn fps capping back on? what are your settings for

bSmoothFrameRate=
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=

in the udkengine.ini that’s in the my documents/my games area?

• TRUE

and they haven’t changed with the patch, i checked. Everything stayed exactly the same.
    Why would i want to change it back to only get 60hz on my 144hz monitor? Wouldn’t make much sense to have this monitor and play 60hz.

• This post is deleted!

• @50ShadesofClay:

FRAME 12-20ms (overall time [not cumulative], should equal the highest of the other 3.)
    GAME fluxuations between 8-11ms (indicates performance of the CPU)
    DRAW between 7-12ms (time it takes to draw the images on the screen, usually irrelevant.)
    GPU - 6-13MS (indicates performance of the GPU)

This is very strange because your total frame time is hitting 20ms but your game, draw, and GPU are all far below that. The only reason Frame time would not equal the highest time of one of the other numbers is when it’s hitting the smoothed frame rate limit but you have that taken care of already.
    I’ve been obsessing over Chiv’s technical performance ever since it came out and I always play with stat unit on, and I have NEVER seen this happen. If it’s not your GPU or CPU slowing you down then it’s some strange issue between your PC and Chiv. Try reinstalling chiv, and if you’re desperate try reinstalling Windows.

I’ll be thinking about this…. it’s a strange one… I’ll come back if I think of anything new.

• I also feel like this patch worsened the game.
    I seem to be getting slightly lower FPS than usual, not as much as Clay, but still.
    Also, the game seems buggier than usual when it comes to perform-able actions. (Attacks stacking for ages, sudden states of inability to do shit) Not sure if this was the case in the patch before, but it happens lot more frequently now.

• Yes, my fps have gone down too since the latest patch, and it’snot in my head. I did a benchmark on battlegrounds before the patch because I was having fps issues on high detail; at that time I was getting between 70-120 fps MAYBE occasionally it would go to 50. Now my fps won’t go above 70 on the same map, and often dips into the 20’s….mind you, my hardware is MORE than adequate for handling this game…as I’ve stated many many many many times in the past. sigh. Overall I love the patch, but performance has certainly been affected.

• ok so yesterday i was getting decent frames like 115-120 on stoneshill and darkforest and i played pretty well i think i went like 46-8 or some shit like that and then another 4-1 ratio game after so pretty good.

THEN… in comes battlegrounds, dropped down to 50’s

UGH

Somethings wrawnggggg

The only thing that stayed consistent though even though my frames were good was that the teleporty and jittery swings/footwork movement were still going on. I’m just used to fucking jedi reading that shit so i am still able to parry just based on feel but visually it’s bad.

I was also monitoring my CPU/GPU temps and load and they were all gravy. It’s not my system i swearz

• I have had REALLY bad fps drops too with the recent patches, I don’t recall them occurring when the bubble was live.

It’s really inconsistent too. Sometimes I’ll play with 60 fps no drops whatsoever, then suddenly boom map switch and it’s down in the thirties. Once the flaming wheat fields made my fps drop down to 10 in battlegrounds, next day same event and it’s completely fine.

I have tried disabling like ALL the background programs, even explorer.exe and it seems to have no effect on the fps whatsoever. My CPU is usually running only at around 80% too when the fps drops occur. Not sure about GPU though. Nevertheless, it’s weird because it’s so inconsistent and definitely did not happen before. It really irks me and I hope it’ll get fixed soon.

I can provide logs and stuff if they help in the issue, just direct me to the files.

My specs:

AsRock 980DE3

AMD FX-6300 3,5GHz
    Radeon HD 7850, 2GB DDR5
    8GB 1600MHz RAM

• @Monsteri:

It’s really inconsistent too. Sometimes I’ll play with 60 fps no drops whatsoever, then suddenly boom map switch and it’s down in the thirties. Once the flaming wheat fields made my fps drop down to 10 in battlegrounds

@50ShadesofClay:

THEN… in comes battlegrounds, dropped down to 50’s
    UGH
    Somethings wrawnggggg

@parkrangerstan:

I did a benchmark on battlegrounds before the patch because I was having fps issues on high detail; at that time I was getting between 70-120 fps MAYBE occasionally it would go to 50. Now my fps won’t go above 70 on the same map, and often dips into the 20’s……

Yeah BG has been missed up for a long time, the worst part of the map is when you’re looking downhill from Mason spawn. I spent a while examining the bug and I made a bug report with some details on it. TB has ignored it thus far.
    http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/18668-Battlegrounds-Low-Frame-Rate-Without-Reason
    Basically your GPU utilization drops dramatically for no reason, then the game says that it’s your GPU slowing you down because the GPU frame time skyrockets! It makes zero sense. You literally cannot make a computer fast enough for Chivalry because Chivalry won’t even use the computing power you throw at it!

Hey Clay you said you’d post a video of Chiv running bad on your system, could you include stat unit while doing it, and more than one map. How about BG then Dark Forest, I expect Dark Forest to perform a lot better.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-LtzO6LhxU&list=UUGaTSUNbOlrrHRp5ykT14xQ

here’s what i have for now, skip until 9 minute mark. For some reason at 60fps in the beginning, the shit in game doesn’t appear in the video. At 9 minutes on it’s much more apparent, but just know for some reason… its MUCH worse in game than recorded on the video… weird.

• +1
    Basically its as if 1/2 of my frames are being dropped - went from 100fps to 50 at the start screen.
    Went from avg 70 to 35 in game.
    went from mid fight 40-50 to 20-25

It dips and goes up at regular intervals about every 1 second from about 20 back up to 40.

I basically play on a potato at lower than option settings (some .ini settings to lower audio channels and bunch of crap), so I stick to duel mode for fps playability. 20fps mid fight with the jumpyness is not playable! :(

Every patch before this did not impact my fps at all.

• @50ShadesofClay:

its MUCH worse in game than recorded on the video… weird.

That’s probably because YouTube converts every video to 30FPS.

But I do see how terrible it’s running, it’s so strange. So far you’ve reinstalled chiv, and reinstalled your video drivers, next would be reinstalling Windows. I know that’s a lot of work but that’s the next step unless we start investigating hardware issues. I don’t know what motherboard, RAM, and PSU you have but I’m sure you’ve spent the cash for high quality components. But even high quality components can go bad.

Let me tell you a short story:
    Last November Chivalry started having a lot of issues for me, very poor performance, lots of crashes and stuff. For a while I thought it was Chiv because it was the only program acting up, and in my forum post about it a few others said they were having similar issues. So I dealt with it…. until January when other games started to crash, and other applications were having problems. I spent a while investigating hardware issues until I finally figured out it was my motherboard going bad. I replaced it 2 weeks ago and my PC has been having zero issues since.

My point is that hardware malfunctions happen, they’re symptoms are very strange, and narrowing the problem down to a hardware issue can be difficult.

Before we start testing individual parts for problems lets run other stressful programs on your computer and look for malfunctions.

1. Play some stressful games on very high settings for at least an hour: Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Metro 2033 or Metro Last light, The Witcher 2. These are stressful and unstable games that will point out system issues if they exist.
      What to look for: frames dropping, erratic frame rates, audio glitches, graphical glitches, games crash/freezes, system locks up/crashes.

2. We’ll run some stress testing programs: download Prime 95 for Windows 7 64-bit http://www.mersenne.org/download/index.php
      When you run the program it’ll open a prompt to run a torture test. Select the ‘custom’ bubble and in the box that says ‘memory to use’ select two gigs under what your system has. So if you have a system with 8GB of RAM type 6000 in the box. Leave all the other settings on default and run the program. Let it run for at least 12 hours straight, and don’t use your system while it’s running. Make sure to turn off sleep mode in your computer’s power settings before running this program.
      Open up Windows task manager and select the performance tab, leave this open while the program is running.

What to look for: You can watch it or just run the program over night. Look for any CPU cores that stop working that means there’s a problem. By the end of the test all your CPU cores should still be max and your CPU usage should be at 100%. If any cores fail you can look at the Prime 95 window and it’ll show what time you started the test at and what time each core failed at. If ANY of the cores fail that means your system is unstable. If your system crashes or freezes that means your system is highly unstable.

We’ll start here and if your system is unstable we’ll do some advanced trouble shooting to find out exactly what part or system configuration aspect is the problem.

• @gref:

That’s probably because YouTube converts every video to 30FPS.

I know, i meant the one on my hard drive.

But yea, thanks for the long post and trying to help with all this, i’ve done most if not all of this.

I’m pretty much to the conclusion since it’s happening to many others that it’s chivalry and not my computer… as i’ve known for a while.

• Mod

They fixed the stuttery combat, but the large FPS drops cause similar things to happen anyways.

• I cannot get over that video you posted clay. The erratic FPS you’re getting makes me nearly vomit. I don’t see a post for this in the bug reports section, you should definitely make one and with your video of it happening.

I hope it gets fixed ASAP.

• My frames have been terrible since the last patch. Normally I get a solid 120 but since the patch I’ve been fluctuating as low as 60.

• @sharknice:

My frames have been terrible since the last patch. Normally I get a solid 120 but since the patch I’ve been fluctuating as low as 60.

same, it seems to be the maps as far as the FPS goes. The stuttering got a bit better but it’s still there.

I notice like on the duel map a lot of ffa duel servers are using (Can’t remember the name) i get 120 fps solid. But then i can go on battlegrounds and get like 120 in the spawn, and as soon as a move forward i go as low as 60-70fps. Same with darkforest even, i spawn in with 120fps and then i get near the cart and i drop down to 70. Citadel as well… pretty much all of the maps I am dropping frames like crazy once i get into them. I notice certain areas of the maps where i can get 120fps solid, and then other parts of the map are terrible.

The stutter may have gotten better i still see it though and seems to be dependent on the server. I’ve at least been playable lately, all the crazy bullshit stuff still happens but i kind of just shrug it off now and just assume it’s just the way it is.

• Mod

Would really love to see an official reply to this issue for once.

• @Tyoson:

Would really love to see an official reply to this issue for once.

it must be a personal problem :(