What I think Leveling System should be.

• Hello good sirs and Ma’am’s

I have not been here in a while and a lot has changed, I also do not play chivalry that much because of other responsibilities as well as having only one computer that can actually play the game fluently, which is my Little brothers computer and he is always on it.

Anyways this is my thoughts on how the leveling system should change:

Currently you level up I think by the total points you have or by the total kills, I don’t quite remember but i think the idea is that the more Total Points/Kills you have in your ‘career’ the more experience you have and thus can fight tougher opponents right?

Here is my problem with that, it is Twofold: Number one there is only a certain amount of skill a player can obtain, for example even if I were to play 3 hours a day, everyday, I doubt I would get as good as the guys you see on you tube or simply the people that get 30 kills 10 deaths in servers I usually go in, My K/d Ends up being around dead even but most of the time around 0.55. No matter how much I play, I will never get as good as other players, It’s a simple fact because they are naturally good at video games, and I am not.

Number Two: say someone like me who used to be pretty good started playing againg after several months of not playing and when They hop into a server, guess what? They are incredibly Rusty AND everyone has gotten amazingly good, it’s so hard to kill anyone. I remember before there would be like 2 0r 3 guys that were tough but now EVERYONE is hard to kill.
    However because I have a high TOTAL LEVEL i still am forced to go into the servers were all the 2.00 K/d people are at, which are way out of my league.

What do I suggest? Level Should be based on skill and activeness not on total points. Because I have played Chivalry quite a bit, but I got to level 24 very slowly, why? Because I’m not as good as the others, So even though I have a total Level that is relativly high, I am still forced to enter High skilled servers where it is hard to kill even one person, this makes the gamenot as fun as it could be. (If you don’t believe that I have been here for a while, just look at my join date at bottom, that’s pretty early for a regular player)
    SO basically I’m saying Total level should be able to go down, not just up so that people that suck and are not that active (like me) get into servers with other people that suck. This way all the high levels can kill each other and Us noobs don’t have to sit their being the other teams Punching bag.

• Well I think anyone can improve, it’s just a matter of believing in yourself and having the right attitude and patience to learn. Also, I personally feel the best way to learn is to fight people you can’t beat.

I’m not sure how the game would track the skill of each player to determine their rank, and rank doesn’t mean much in this game anyways. I realise you want to just play in the 0-15 servers but maybe you should just have a bit more confidence in yourself, and try visiting a classic duel server and ask people for advice on how to improve. If you’re in EU I could maybe help train you some, send me a pm if you’re interested.

• You’re not forced to play on only high level servers, you’re just prevented from playing on very low level ones. Sorry, but I’m not particularly sympathetic here. If you’ve reached level 24, you’ve been playing long enough that you should be considerably stronger than most of the level 5s playing in the restricted servers, which is EXACTLY why they’re kept separated from you.

As for the actual mechanic of leveling: it’s interesting, but I don’t feel that it would help anything. The main incentive to keep leveling up is to unlock helmets, should a player who’s put the hours in but spread them out a bit more not be entitled to exactly the same rewards as someone who binges on the game? I say he should.

A final parting word of advice: go play duels if you’re feeling rusty. Nothing boosts your skills faster, and they transfer over to Team Objective.

• If you want a better than 1:1 KDR. Do this:

Play smart.

You don’t have to be technically good to get >1 KDR. You just need to be aware of what is going on around you and generally where your team is at and where the enemy is at. Let your buddies take the brunt of the battle and attack people from their sides or behind them. If you find your team dead, don’t fight 3+ people, turn and run.

• Decreasing in rank is the worst idea ever.

• Good sirs,

Thank you very much for the responses thus far, especially Gndo.

Gndo, Perhaps you are right, the greatest championes are abundant in confidence, one quality you have pointed out I am Lacking. I am not in Eu, but i do not mind playing on Eu servers, (in fact I enjoy it better because North Americans are quite rude, Europeans are nicer) as long as the ping is not above 250, I’m good.

Mockinbirch: I guess your right, I mean i probably would be able to kill 5 levels quite easily especially with war hammer which is my best weapon.

Toll: That is excelent advice, running into the fray often just gets me killed, however playing ‘smart’ is tough when there is archers everywhere.

Xylvion: I appreciate your response and Opinion, but would you care to explain why? An answer carries no weight without explaining where that answer came from.

• Because. . . trying to make this post as nice as possible.
    1:If you want to reach a rank to unlock a new helmet and you can’t get there at all, or if you for example reached rank 40, got your helmet then decreased to 39 and it’s gone. Just awful.
    2: Rage, the reason I don’t play CS. If I got a bad day my rank will decrease, which gets me mad, then I try once more and decrease even more which equals more rage.
    3: Similar to the one above. If you’ve been gone for a week either on vacation or whatever you’ll obviously play a bit worse for a couple of rounds, again no fun to decrease in rank.

When I was lowrank there were no “low rank” servers and people had K/D ratios of 87-5 and similar to that. After the June patch noobs actually got a fair chance against pros so right now the game is really quite easy for low ranks against high ranks. I believe that only playing on low rank servers until you get high rank and not being on the same “level” as most other people is the fault of the person who decided not to play with better players.

And on another note. . . 250 ping? it’s shit at 100+. This game doesn’t acount for delay and the hitdetection is clientsided, it’s not like Arma where ping barely matters. Lets say your ping is 180 and mine is 80, then the total delay between us is 260+ meaning that the release of attacks starts 260+ms before they should, which is quite a lot more than the 160 if your ping would’ve been the same as mine. When you get really quite good at the game you will learn the windup timers of different weapons and you will not start blocking until they’re over, because you want to be able to read feints. Then that extra amount of delay is annoying and ruins gameplay. Even lower ranks are annoyed at people with more than 100 ping.

• Create another steam account and play as a level 0 if you want to play with lowbies. 24 is still pretty low skill and if you have spread it out over a long time I could see how you are getting creamed.

If you want to skill up run a local game with bots and practice your blocks. Bots run with random weapons so work on reading their movements and windups. Then hit duel servers and practice more, you will die a lot but the training is invaluable. Then finally join the TO servers and work on your team skillz. You get what you put into the game.

• Excellent explanations, Never thought of it that way.

I guess what I’m really trying to get after is this:

There’s a bunch of videos on youtube on advance tactics, like mouse delaying/acceleration, ducking, dancing, using stab to go around parries and blocks.
    Thats all fin and dandy, but what I truly whant to know is how do I DEFEND against those tactics? The majority of players do those kind of things I just mentioned, so how do I defend it?

• By aiming and timing your parries correctly

• @Iron-Sentinel:

Excellent explanations, Never thought of it that way.

There’s a bunch of videos on youtube on advance tactics, like mouse delaying/acceleration, ducking, dancing, using stab to go around parries and blocks.
    Thats all fin and dandy, but what I truly whant to know is how do I DEFEND against those tactics? The majority of players do those kind of things I just mentioned, so how do I defend it?

Mostly it’s down to experience, but here is a few pointers that may help:

For drags/delays, watch your opponent, and don’t anticipate attacks, react to them at the correct time. If your opponent looks down, he is likely to do a fast lookdown overhead, in which case you need to look up and parry quickly, crouching may also help if you have trouble reacting in time.

For delayed overheads, your opponent will look up, so don’t parry straight away, wait until the last second before parrying. (this will come with experience) If they do a slash, and look away from you this is also a delay, the same advice about parrying applies here also. It can sometimes help to run towards the weapon to parry it sooner if they are delaying, this is especially useful vs slow weapons like the zweihander.

With stab drags, it can help to turn to the side then parry, and also remember not to parry too early.

With dancers, just be patient, don’t go chasing after them, and whack them when they get in range of your weapon.

• @Iron-Sentinel:

Excellent explanations, Never thought of it that way.

Two tips I can give as a somewhat-above-average player:

1. Don’t be twitchy. If you block as soon as you think you’re getting attacked, you’re going to get hit by every feint and drag someone throws at you. Wait until the weapon is about to hit you before you block, and remember that the new camera makes attacks look farther away than they actually are.

2. Aim your parries. This was something I screwed up constantly when I was a new player. I’d just throw a parry in the general direction of the attack. This works just fine against big two handers, but if you try this against the Norse Sword they’ll go right around you. Overcompensate if anything, especially on stabs. Crouching while blocking helps too, it’ll prevent attacks (especially stabs) from sliding under/to the side your block.

Also: PLAY DUELS. Seriously, you’ll notice the results quickly.

• it’d be cool if it was kind of points based on a lot of things like kills, assists, and objective points as well as doing some other things like battlefield does the ranking. of course in my opinion if that were done, the increments would have to be changed to still be as challenging, because we’re getting to the point now where everyone is starting to get a gold helmet and the next big leap now is the pinkys.

The rank system now is still a pretty tough grind once you get up in the ranks, i’m still dreading the 60 some odd thousand kills i have to get to reach 60. i think by then i’ll have to quit chivalry.

• Just getting to rank 40 seems to take ages for me, I’m nearly there and it’s taken me almost 500 hours lol, so for you ranking up must feel like a crippled snail through treacle xD

• Hey everybody, Thank you very much for the responses

The hardest one to deal with is the fast overheads, Crouching seems like an excellent idea.
    I guess i will try doing more duels, personally I find them boring,they don’t have that same Hollywood movie melee massacre feel to it as team based game modes do.

• ^Duels are boring, but they’re great for practicing blocks from different types of attacks.

• I find duels more fun than your average spamfest pub game.