Low ping but small teleports!

• Hello, I am Rekrab.
    I have been having this issue for quite a while now, basically, my ping is almost always completely fine, but sometimes I randomly teleport when it is low, which is strange. There are even times when my ping is one of the lowest on the server (sometimes around 30) and yet I teleport a meter or everybody else runs in one direction for just half a second.
    This may seem like a small issue, but when it happens every 10 seconds or so, or even if you are in an intense duel, it just makes the game very horrible to play.

Now for informational bits.

-Before anybody asks, no this is not an issue with my fps, I feel like it may be my internet, but I don’t seem to have the problem on any other online game.

-Also, this is not something that happens ALL the time, for example it could be perfectly fine for a couple of hours, but suddenly it randomly STARTS HAPPENING D:

-Tell me if you would like video footage and I can upload some if you want.

-DxDiag shiz:
    (waht, there’s no way to do spoilers like this:

! lol
    I guess you’ll just have to see the whole thing here then ;P)
    NVM I WILL MAKE IT AN ATTACHMENT

-Launch.Log file:
    This is also an attachment :>

Thanks in advance, please help me out here, who’s to blame?
    Me, my computer, my internet, or Torn fucking Banners?

• I have this same exact problem. I cant find any solution to it but for me it happens ALL the time. I cant play one game without it happening and I just wind up getting mad and turning off my computer. Its so frustrating to deal with especially when theres no fix. Ive tried everything, I even reinstalled windows and wiped my hard drive.

• Try this:

open command promt: cmd.exe

In the dos-like window that appears type something like this: ping www.google.com /t

Then leave it running in the background. Go play chiv.

When you get the minitelports alt-tab and check the command prompt window and see if you have packets lost.

Basically, you can have a nice low ping, and have temporary packetloss which can cause teleports and ghost swings and all sorts of shit. There may even be a console command that display’s your ping and packetloss.

• same, i also have video footage.

• I THINK I’m having the same issues as you two except it’s a bit more subtle. At first I thought it I was having frame rate issues, but then I started noticing things like my missed swings would suddenly hit someone who absolutely did not touch my sword or my combos would suddenly apply damage a few moments AFTER my animations ended and things like that. It’s almost as if I’m constantly severely desynced. It’s really messing me up because when these tiny spikes happen, none of my key presses are read so if I try to combo, parry or riposte or something like that I just end up standing there. In-game my ping is displayed as around 30-40 at all times so I have no idea what’s going on.

• Was happening last night on most of the official servers, didn’t get a chance to test it out on a non official server.

• packetloss packetloss packetloss this explains these issues, rule it out my checking it.

• I have the same problem! It went away for a little bit after re-installing my game, but it’s back and I have a Data cap, so I can’t always keep re-installing. Never used to happen before this new patch, and my internet’s been consistent and fine with other games + web browsing. Really strange.

PingTest results:

• @Kim:

I have the same problem! It went away for a little bit after re-installing my game, but it’s back and I have a Data cap, so I can’t always keep re-installing. Never used to happen before this new patch, and my internet’s been consistent and fine with other games + web browsing. Really strange.

PingTest results:

damnit spook, i thought everything was fine!

• Used to get this about a year ago. Just kind of went away for me. I would be running and then teleport forward about 6 feet. Caused many a death off cliffs. Also kept getting called a speed hacker/lagger. Made a post about it long ago. I would call it reverse rubberbanding as it wouldn’t pull me back but instead warp me forward. Think it was probably some sort of desync between me and the server. Once the server realized that I wasn’t where I should be it warped me. Only theory I could come up with.

Of course the current problem could be something completely different.

• I made a short video showing it off. Really annoying and so far nothing I’ve tried has worked (other than a complete re-install, which I’m not willing to do every time I want to play).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64m7DN1YVg

• @Kim:

I made a short video showing it off. Really annoying and so far nothing I’ve tried has worked (other than a complete re-install, which I’m not willing to do every time I want to play).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64m7DN1YVg

Yep, that is exactly what I used to get. Do you by any chance have your processor overclocked?

• @sharkh20:

Yep, that is exactly what I used to get. Do you by any chance have your processor overclocked?

Nope, just a stock i5 4670 @ 3.40 GHz. Weird thing is that it didn’t used to happen before, just started randomly.

• Here is my post from 2012

http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/5262-Wierd-lag-on-all-servers

Note there are a bunch of people complaining about different lag related things but a few people had the exact same problem as yourself even that far back.

• I have had this kind of issues for some time too. Its mighty anoying to get people teleport into your face.

• @sharkh20:

Here is my post from 2012

http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/5262-Wierd-lag-on-all-servers

Note there are a bunch of people complaining about different lag related things but a few people had the exact same problem as yourself even that far back.

Did you do anything specific to get it to go away for you? This morning it’s been fine, but we’ll see how long it lasts. Glad to hear that it’s not just me though, thought I was going crazy since my pingtest results were great.

• Not sure if this really helps anyone, but I’ve found that it normally happens more so in the evenings for me (GMT)

• @Rekrab:

Not sure if this really helps anyone, but I’ve found that it normally happens more so in the evenings for me (GMT)

Happens a lot in the evenings for me too (EST). It’s so random that I wouldn’t have a clue where to start to find what’s causing it.

• This is how my server browser loaded up just now, wonder if the super high ping servers were loaded during one of the spikes.

http://i.imgur.com/GwsV9cE.jpg

Ran command prompt next to my game (windowed), and pinged google.ca while running around on a server. What I found was that the response time jumped up a ton (9-10ms - 150ms+) just for the one call when the game teleported me. It was 100% consistent when Chiv wasn’t running.

• Developer

Kim Jong Kill: Given the ping results, and given the server browser screenshot, this definitely looks like a networking issue. Whatever it is looks to be outside the game and outside my expertise.

Rekrab: I don’t know, not enough information. Need more networking tests.

DemonicChocobo: Sounds like either a massive, inconsistent networking issue, or a clock sync issue, or heaven forbid both. Doing the same types of tests that Kim Jong Kill did could be useful. Running the tool in this thread could rule in clock sync issues.