Backstabbing

• Backstabbing. It seems an odd choice for the archer, I sometimes feel guilt when I ‘matador’ a knight and get a huge hit of backstab damage with something like a javelin or sabre. If they’re new I bet they wonder what the hell just happened.

Basically it doesn’t read.

So! How about instead of the class, backstab only applied to daggers. It makes a little more sense, a sneaky small blade that you can slip into a weak spot, and people are more likely to make the connection to a weapon than a class.

In case you’re wondering, yes this gives MAAs a backstab weapon, but honestly it’d be good to give them a reason to use the dagger that isn’t just showing off.

• queue thread about all the totally valid and not made-up tactical advantages to being a knife-at-arms.

• Global Moderator

We’ll when the game was released and everyone sucked as archer the backstab bonus was kinda necessary.

But now I think it should be restricted to daggers and daggers should get a slight damage nerf. But I was thinking archer daggers only not MAA daggers.

• All the non dagger archer secondaries (sabre, shortsword, cudgel) are fearsome on their own and don’t need a backstab bonus in my opinion. Restricting it to daggers, would be a nice equaliser to the secondary weapons. Daggers can be difficult to block at times and if they were the only weapons that had a backstab bonus then it at least would encourage archers to at least try to go for those backstabs if they ever find themselves close to combat.

Man-at-Arms with a dagger that can backstab however is not much of an issue I believe. It would require you to swap away from your primaries (which are much better than daggers due to a number of different reasons such as effective range, damage, hits to kill etc.) to the dagger and then get in very close. The advantage of some of the MaA primaries is that you can still stay at a decent range and hit people. You can’t achieve this with daggers. Also if you were forced to parry something with a dagger then you would be eating an extra hit to your stamina.

• I think backstab needs a unique sound effect, its not every consistent when you take extra damage without even realizing it. Same with headshots.

It works fine as a game mechanic imo.

• @zombojoe:

I think backstab needs a unique sound effect, its not every consistent when you take extra damage without even realizing it.

You add a sound effect for it and everyone is going to go “What the fuck, how was that a backstab, he was standing right in front of me!?”

So yeah, let’s just keep the backstab for daggers where it won’t be much of an issue because nobody is going to use them anyway unless they want to show off.

• Just get rid of it. Unneeded for any weapon really. Daggers are fast which makes up for their lack of damage.

Certainly don’t give it to MaA daggers, that’s just silly.

• Here’s an idea, keep it with daggers… but now EVERYONE can have a dagger? Knights weren’t exactly above having one.

I honestly think it’s the only way it makes sense is for it to apply to all daggers, it comes down to that readability thing I mentioned. The next best thing would be to take it out entirely, leaving it to archer daggers only is even more arbitrary.

• Don’t give Knights daggers, just remove the backstab bonus altogether.
    Archers have ranged weapon, that’s their specialty. Also don’t just add the bonus to daggers because having some luck and skill can already achieve great results wielding one. All it takes is 1 misplaced parry, and dagger-users will usually be able to get at least 2 quick hits in.

Who needs an actual backstab bonus? It’s more fun to just sneak up on people, kill them with a Maul or Zwei, and then type in the chat: SNEAK ATTACK FOR 16X DAMAGE!

• @Martys:

You add a sound effect for it and everyone is going to go “What the fuck, how was that a backstab, he was standing right in front of me!?”

So you mean it will work like Chivalry as usual when it comes to drags, feints and other forms of combat?

• Backstab only on archer daggers or removed.

• @zombojoe:

So you mean it will work like Chivalry as usual when it comes to drags, feints and other forms of combat?

Pretty much

• Backstab is not needed at all.

Just last night whilst playing, I was shield knight using SoW (blasphemy I know), I overheaded a poor guy and my archer buddy stuck him in the back and he died to 2 hits. He was like WTF, I was like ‘backstab’. It was silly.

• Well its a 50% damage increase. If you get a headshot with a high damage weapon + backstab its going to fuck shit up. You can kill anything up to vanguards with heavy javelin backstab headshots.

One of my favorite things to do in scrims is to backstab vanguards because they’ll try to dance and turn their back to me and end up dying to 2 hits.

• I love 2 shotting vanguards from full hp with Shortsword stabs. Since sidestabs register often as backstab damage not OP!

• @McLumberjack:

Here’s an idea, keep it with daggers… but now EVERYONE can have a dagger? Knights weren’t exactly above having one.

I honestly think it’s the only way it makes sense is for it to apply to all daggers, it comes down to that readability thing I mentioned. The next best thing would be to take it out entirely, leaving it to archer daggers only is even more arbitrary.

Only if we can dual wield a dagger and sword.

• @Monsteri:

Only if we can dual wield a dagger and sword.

This isn’t AOC. :p

• I actually think all weapons in the game on all classes need a backstab bonus so you take a risk turning your back at your opponent doing them fancy gay ass backswings and spin-around-ballerina-showdowns

• The backstab thing has been something I’ve never really noticed. I’ve never really realized that I’ve backstabbed someone or been backstabbed, ever. It’s just kind of there. More important things to focus on.

• @kywild:

I actually think all weapons in the game on all classes need a backstab bonus so you take a risk turning your back at your opponent doing them fancy gay ass backswings and spin-around-ballerina-showdowns

But how am i supposed to show people what a unique butterfly i am if I risk extra damage?

• @Terminally:

But how am i supposed to show people what a unique butterfly i am if I risk extra damage?

Sexy pink Barbarian skin with butterfly emblem.