The recent (gameplay) patch

• i guess if you like the patch and dont really care if they make any changes to it or not, you’d presumably choose “KEEP everything as it is now”.

If you dont care about whether they make changes or not then… you probably dont really think anything needs changing: id assume anyways.

• @Triumphant:

i guess if you like the patch and dont really care if they make any changes to it or not, you’d presumably choose “KEEP everything as it is now”.

If you dont care about whether they make changes or not then… you probably dont really think anything needs changing: id assume anyways.

Well I never really had a problem with handle hits, although I don’t think they make a lot of sense.

Anyways I’ll vote for no change.

• @Bluebeard:

It is about the patch with animations and bubble reduce. Not the most recent.

Oh. Well in that case…

Handle hits can be changed by wildwulfy’s idea of removing the tracer sockets from where the hands are on a weapons handle. This would still allow fast attacks from look down overheads, but at the very least you won’t be getting hit by the very bottom end of a weapon. The red hit tracers would stop being drawn where the top of the hand is on a weapon. Yes it’s a big change and would require a lot of work due to tracer changes but I think it’s the best idea I’ve seen and doesn’t add confusing shit like “handle hits do no damage or no flinch” and other things like that.

Stab feints + bubble changes. Face hug stab feints were already difficult to read pre patch and have now been made harder with a 60% bubble reduction. I’ve already been over what I think about this, but to sum it up briefly I would say that I would be fine with if they made changes to the bubble and made it slightly bigger; but only if they were to find a “sweet spot” which allowed stab feints not to be so effective at close range but also didn’t introduce the old problems with the bubble.

That being said, I feel that when both players are within face hug range, whoever takes the initiative first with an attack or a feint is usually the player who will be at the advantage. This is especially effective against players who have a defensive play style much like Bluebeard and Crushed. I don’t feel the 60% reduction to the bubble has changed this as much as you make it out.

2h sword changes I’m fine with and have adjusted to them already but that’s just my opinion. There are definitely some wonkiness to them at times however.

• By the way, is it just me that thinks it odd that everyone wanted bubble removed/reduced, and now that it has been reduced, some players would rather have it back again?

• needs to be adjusted… the attacks shouldn’t be doing damage during a windup animation. Either fix the handle issue a bit or make it animate as an actual attack. I can use weapons like the poleaxe, gmace, holy water… and have you seen the poleaxe for example. If you’re close to your opponent but not even that close, you can do an overhead if you hit and go into a combo overhead and hit basically while its in combotime… makes for a very fast 2 piece and a biscuit. Lots of broken combat going on and i DO want to keep the bubble reduction, but i think that it may need adjustment. The bubble was hated by myself and many others and rightly so, but the reduction could maybe be backed off just a bit. Having the bubble is in a way a good thing, but too much of a bubble is a bad thing. I don’t think enough testing went into that 60% number and perhaps could maybe drop to like 50% or whatever seems to work better for that.

As far as the animations, i’m used to them now and like them pretty good. The camera is nice too as far as visibility, but i wish they depicted ranges a bit better, i’ve been hit by swings way out in front of me watching them miss yet they hit me… so the camera needs to be in line with my hitbox which it feels that it is not.

I also think that since the 1st person animations were changed, 3rd person animations need a little love… but not a drastic overhaul, just a better depiction of what’s actually going on. Good players do not parry visually, they parry just on knowing the game and muscle memory. Newer players parry on what they see visually, and i myself wouldn’t mind visually knowing what the hell weapons are doing in front of me since the animations are the most deceptive thing that can be abused heavily.

Also, archers didn’t get nerfed this patch and i’m still waiting.

And finally, broadsword needs windup increase on stab.

Thank you, thank you.

• @gndo:

By the way, is it just me that thinks it odd that everyone wanted bubble removed/reduced, and now that it has been reduced, some players would rather have it back again?

Yes it’s strange. But these people say that they didn’t have a problem with the bubble which is fair enough if they didn’t. Reverting the patch completely however is a ridiculous idea.

• TBH, the patch didn’t change handle hits, so this shouldn’t be a change that is made to the patch. Although it is an indirect buff to handle hits. Maybe I’m just being pedantic :P

• Don’t revert.

The current patch needs some tweaking to fix some dodgy shit like handle hits, and then it’ll be okay. 2H Swords also need some love.

• I have seen this mentioned before, and I wouldn’t mind testing to see if this works on the Chiv beta:
    have the wind up draw non-damaging tracers that can be parried.
    The reason? If someone is doing a facehug stab feint, you can force an early parrying and kick them away to gain distance. Similarly, this would effect a look down overhand as you’re drawing the windup in your target so upon release the tracers begin inside the enemy players model. Also fix kick so it’s actually reliable… and not some voodoo when it does work as intended.

What this would effectively do is weaken face-hug stab feints, and face-hug look down overhand feints. Though you can argue that if a player is in range to do this, you’ve already made mistakes somewhere in the fight. I wouldn’t mind testing this, but I think it might create other balancing issues.

As it is right now, I like the reduced bubble because I can maneuver through multiple enemies much easier, and not get blocked by invisible barriers. In general, combat feels more fluid. I want to see tracers below the hand on the player model removed on all weapons, swords, polearms, spears, maces, anything below the players hand should not be drawing a tracer. Getting hit by a brandistock stab when standing behind that player is retarded.

Also buff longsword. SoW has a niche as strictly anti-vg, but longsword sits in weapon limbo in terms of usefulness.

• Keep this patch, increase flinch times a very small amount to reduce overhead spamming effectiveness (it’s a tad over the top at the moment).

• Voting for a revert, even if this not gonna happen obviously, the feeling of fighting was simply better pre patch for me, less floating or innacurate weird attack.
    The camera was a good idea in theory but in practice, the fact that it is higher give you a bit less time to react to OH and force you to look down vs some weird face hug stab like sow stab.
    The new animation are really shit for sword etc and actually i think the feeling is worse for every weapon but it’s still “acceptable”
    The bubble idk, sometimes it’s like i feel it even more than before with the new camera, sow facehug stab are annoying to block, not talking about facehug feint.

Don’t give me wrong, i think it’s acceptable, most of the thing you could do pre patch are still doable now i think but the feeling is just worse, i doubt i will play this game seriously in the future anyway.

• As expected: CRUSHED voted for revert and Lemonater voted for keep everything. Funny because both had the same opinion on the last balance patch that did exactly the reverse.

The patch is a step in the right direction but there are quite some issues that need to be tackled. I actually called out handle hits before but people insisted it “not a big issue right now” and wanted the bubble reduced instead. Now that we finally agree that they are a big issue there should be a fix that does not include invisible walls blocking player movement or similar things.

• @Gauntlet:

I have seen this mentioned before, and I wouldn’t mind testing to see if this works on the Chiv beta:
    have the wind up draw non-damaging tracers that can be parried.
    The reason? If someone is doing a facehug stab feint, you can force an early parrying and kick them away to gain distance. Similarly, this would effect a look down overhand as you’re drawing the windup in your target so upon release the tracers begin inside the enemy players model. Also fix kick so it’s actually reliable… and not some voodoo when it does work as intended.

What this would effectively do is weaken face-hug stab feints, and face-hug look down overhand feints. Though you can argue that if a player is in range to do this, you’ve already made mistakes somewhere in the fight. I wouldn’t mind testing this, but I think it might create other balancing issues.

As it is right now, I like the reduced bubble because I can maneuver through multiple enemies much easier, and not get blocked by invisible barriers. In general, combat feels more fluid. I want to see tracers below the hand on the player model removed on all weapons, swords, polearms, spears, maces, anything below the players hand should not be drawing a tracer. Getting hit by a brandistock stab when standing behind that player is retarded.

Also buff longsword. SoW has a niche as strictly anti-vg, but longsword sits in weapon limbo in terms of usefulness.

Excellent ideas. My major problem with stabbing weapons is that they literally start inside your body, and you simply don’t have the kind of reaction time to parry them when feints and drags are thrown into the mix. The bubble bandaged this by making attacks take longer to reach, but it also caused a whole slew of other problems which I’m glad are gone with the bubble’s reduction.

If you could parry a stab slightly before it’s released, then horrible looking tactics like greatsword drag stabs starting in your body ending into your side can be better dealt with. Brandistock does this a lot also where the stab starts inside your torso, forcing you to parry to avoid being hit instantly on release, then using its slow speed to drag way around your parry. Allowing someone to parry a windup ever so slightly would fix a whole lot of problems with handle hits, feints, and facehugging in general.

If there’s going to be any major changes next patch, it should involve facehug stabs and handle hits. These are the biggest issues at the moment so far as I can tell. Then, after that, archer can be toned down a little bit (by changing things like arrows flinching in release) and shield knights can get an offensive buff, but only after their ultra fast swings and overheads get looked at.

• @DokB:

Oh. Well in that case…

Handle hits can be changed by wildwulfy’s idea of removing the tracer sockets from where the hands are on a weapons handle. This would still allow fast attacks from look down overheads, but at the very least you won’t be getting hit by the very bottom end of a weapon. The red hit tracers would stop being drawn where the top of the hand is on a weapon. Yes it’s a big change and would require a lot of work due to tracer changes but I think it’s the best idea I’ve seen and doesn’t add confusing shit like “handle hits do no damage or no flinch” and other things like that.

Stab feints + bubble changes. Face hug stab feints were already difficult to read pre patch and have now been made harder with a 60% bubble reduction. I’ve already been over what I think about this, but to sum it up briefly I would say that I would be fine with if they made changes to the bubble and made it slightly bigger; but only if they were to find a “sweet spot” which allowed stab feints not to be so effective at close range but also didn’t introduce the old problems with the bubble.

That being said, I feel that when both players are within face hug range, whoever takes the initiative first with an attack or a feint is usually the player who will be at the advantage. This is especially effective against players who have a defensive play style much like Bluebeard and Crushed. I don’t feel the 60% reduction to the bubble has changed this as much as you make it out.

2h sword changes I’m fine with and have adjusted to them already but that’s just my opinion. There are definitely some wonkiness to them at times however.

Pretty much all of this. I have adjusted to the new 2H sword animations for the most part, but, I would like to see them be smoothed out more, still feel a little jerky. I’m not sure of what my character is doing some times based on the swing animation.

I have definitely had my share of weird stuff this patch, lag, desyncing, ghost swings. But, I don’t think it’s as bad as it’s made out to be. People need to stop focusing on how handle hits are NOW, and how classes interact NOW, because we haven’t done balancing yet.

The reduced bubble was good, perhaps increase it a tad? I have been very anti-bubble, but, I can admit that it does help, now that players are much better. However, most everyone agreed that the negative outweighed the positive with the bubble, so reduced is good. Perhaps make it a 50% reduction, instead of 60%?

2H flinch timers also need to be looked at. It’s just dumb that I could possibly have to CFtP every time I successfully land a combo, because they can just flinch me out of it. Flinch timers should be based on the combo time of the weapon, not a universal number.

I would hold off on the whole “game is dying” end of the world comments, before seeing how balancing shakes out. TB is open to listen, don’t be so negative.

TL;DR - I can live with this patch, we still need more tweaking and refining, but it’s definitely going in the right direction, in my opinion.

• The new camera and animations are awkward as hell, imo. At first, I liked the idea that you’d be able to perceive attacks from the sides better, but the fact that shit hits me from miles away has completely overshadowed that perk. Strikes and stabs don’t even need to go outside the FoV when standing still, which they had to before in order to hit. (Subject to positional lag)Also, whenever I attack and hit something, I feel like it’s the bottom of my sword that connects with the target at literally all distances. Just try overhead attacking a wall as far away from it as you can. It looks and feels awkward. It also doesn’t look like I’m even hitting people at some distances when I do.

The bubble problems are still here, not just as apparent, (which is nice, of course) but now it’s far too easy to force attacks to connect directly after windup. I used to like this back in Chivalry+, but back then I never played with feints.
    The best solution would obviously be to have a smaller bubble but with new completely reworked tracer animations adjusted to the smaller bubble to allow tighter combat. (Not just for overhead attacks) I’m pretty sure this would take ages to change, and would break the game several times during the process, so no.
    They’ve said that they’re looking into handlehits, but I’m still skeptic about the issue, and the camera and animations are still unpleasant. Bottom line, I liked the last patch better, so for now I vote for a revert.

• @DokB:

Originally Posted by gndo
    By the way, is it just me that thinks it odd that everyone wanted bubble removed/reduced, and now that it has been reduced, some players would rather have it back again?

Yes it’s strange. But these people say that they didn’t have a problem with the bubble which is fair enough if they didn’t. Reverting the patch completely however is a ridiculous idea.

Yeah the worst thing is those people are incredibly rude and patronising to anyone that doesn’t agree, and then change their mind to the complete opposite but continue to be rude and patronising to those who don’t agree with their new opinion!

It’s truly mind boggling how anyone could be so arrogant and opinionated to think that they are always right even though they have just done a complete 180 in their opinions.

• Despite being somewhat against unnecessary changes by nature, I’ve come to like the new animations. Still an unnecessary change IMO, but good enough.

Bubble reduction doesn’t make blocking nearly as difficult as I feared it would, absolutely a great change.

Some animations still need some tinkering, mainly the alt-slash on a few weapons.
    Handle hits are also not something I’m a fan of. Polearm weapons already have a reach advantage and although Chivalry isn’t the most realistic game, saying instant lookdown “handle-hits are part of the weapon’s playstyle” is just stupid.

• I hate the 0.8 flinch, it makes trading with combos too common. It also made spamming attack when you get hit popular. Bubble reduction augmented this… “playstyle”. I’m just not having fun with my slow weapons anymore since everyone can force trades with me.

Why did we reduce flinch again? So that someone can punish combo feints in duels because inability to do so is “horrible”? Great. Fantastic. And now this certain someone wants it reverted because apparently hasty decisions made in 5 minutes are not the best ones.

I am so done with balance arguments.

• The increase in flinch times was one of the most annoying changes from last year or whenever it was. I am glad it’s back to normal.

• @dudeface:

The increase in flinch times was one of the most annoying changes from last year or whenever it was. I am glad it’s back to normal.

Yeah this, combat in general has much more flow now and just feels better in regards to flinch.

Thing is with the bubble handlehits and feints were balanced and didnt need ANY changes. Now to get that solid combat back you have to adress those two issues and fixing those will probably change the whole combat again… and for what… fists not hitting from behind? really? Just sick and tired of this game changing from a solid state into a worse one every 3 weeks and it shows… people are sick and tired of this shit, maybe not on these forums but definetly the EU community