Lateral 2H Sword Swings

• I recently went back to the greatsword after a long period of playing other classes and weapons (not that you asked, but MAA Broadsword, Javelin, Vanguard Spear, Shortbow and miscellaneous knightery) and I noticed I wasn’t getting the accelerated or decelerated hits I’m used to on lateral swings (LMB + alt version). Hits seemed to ghost through or not connect when I put things at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions.

By turning on hit tracers (AOC-Drawtracer_1 in the console) it became apparent why this is.

a) The swing stops tracing before you’d expect it to, at about the 10-11 o’clock position. (on a right to left swing)

b) The early part of the swing, that starts behind the head, tilts up so it’s just above character height from the 6 o’clock to 2 o’clock position . I’d always assumed it was about neck height for headshots, but this isn’t true until the middle of the swing. Also, as this is to the side of the character there’s no way to lower the arc without crouching. Tilt forwards and you’ll just end up higher than you were before and then drop rapidly to foot level or into the dirt.

I don’t know how long it’s been this way, perhaps forever, but it’s certainly not the way I remember the greatsword feeling. I always thought it swung from the shoulder, not above head height.

It’s certainly not the only weapon where animations don’t match the mechanic, but it’s the one that’s annoying me at the moment.

• Did you test in 3rd person? I’m pretty sure there’s some actual gameplay altering bullshit with the 3rd person camera that makes the tracers stop too early. Compare the swing to the tracers in 1st person.

• Hasn’t GS always been… bugged?

Surely there are a few more weapons that have incorrect tracers but Greatsword has always seemed like the true motherload of hitbox failure.

• @B4RK:

Did you test in 3rd person? I’m pretty sure there’s some actual gameplay altering bullshit with the 3rd person camera that makes the tracers stop too early. Compare the swing to the tracers in 1st person.

1st and 3rd. The tracers don’t change.