Improve the audio clues

• This is an aspect in games that is often greatly overlooked. Why have a huge grenade icon when a falling grenade could instead make a distinctive sound? Why have an “out of ammo” message when you could have a clear sound effect of the hammer nose hitting the empty bullet chamber?

These are pretty basic examples, but audio clues nevertheless increase the readability of different actions and add a lot of immersion. “Show, don’t tell” is a rule of thumb in literacy, and it applies to game design as well.

Now Chivalry does a fairly good job at this, but it could still be improved in some areas:

**1. Reliable blade collision sound effects
    Currently you can hear a small cling or thud even if the swing did not properly hit an object. This is a pain in the ass because often I find myself thinking “oh, he hit something, time to strike back”, but in fact it was only a scratch and his combo swing gets me.

There should be a sound effect only when hitting an object so that it stops the blade. This way you’d know for sure his combo is interrupted and you have the initiative. Many surfaces like Moor grass don’t have a hit sound at all, and this should definitely be fixed too.
    2. Higher pitch for parry ripostes**

This one is mainly to make learning about the differences of a riposte and parry more intuitive for newbies. It also helps you in facehug combat, as when you hear this sound you can tell for sure that the enemy is going to strike. Many weapons have ridiculously fast ripostes that you need to parry almost instantly. Add feints to the mix and Claymore facehuggers become a huge pain to deal with.

3. Sound effect for feints

Basically there would be a small grunt when the enemy feints close to you. Facehug stabs tend to start inside your body and it becomes impossible to tell whether the enemy will feint or not, thus blocking such attacks boils down to a guessing game. It calls for a solution.

We could test this in beta with a placeholder sound, and if feint reading becomes too ez we either implement a different solution or just leave it be.

4. Preciser wheezing

Currently the stamina wheezing threshold is way too low, basically it only tells you that the enemy is somewhat low on stamina. You can dodge, feint, kick, parry, combo, basically do everything with 30 stamina. It should be increased so that you could only parry and combo. There could be slightly lighter wheezing when low on stamina generally.

If you have additional ideas for sound clues, feel free to voice them in the comments.
    also plez discuss

• Oh yea, and I guess the stab feint window could be simply decreased by 0.1s too, would make it a lot more readable.

• Better audio for vanguard charges?

• @Monsteri:

Basically there would be a small grunt when the enemy feints close to you. Facehug stabs tend to start inside your body and it becomes impossible to tell whether the enemy will feint or not, thus blocking such attacks boils down to a guessing game. It calls for a solution.

We could test this in beta with a placeholder sound, and if feint reading becomes too ez we either implement a different solution or just leave it be.

How does that help? You can’t have a sound effect for something that’s ABOUT to happen, and a sound effect after a feint would add exactly nothing.

It used to be that people made an attack grunt after the point of no return, so if they made a yell you’d know to block, no yell, it’s still in feint territory. Is this not still the case? I confess in all the hubbub I forget to listen for it these days, and with fast weapons it wasn’t really reliable anyway. Good feature though, if they did take it out I’d question why.

• @Stuffy:

Better audio for vanguard charges?

and footsteps, can’t hear people unless they’re already in range which is annoying.

• I only like the first idea, and perhaps the last one if you mean people should only start wheezing when really low on stamina. Ideas 2 and 3 would just dumb the game down, ripostes are supposed to be fast and aren’t a problem anyways, also feints are supposed to fool people, but if you play a sound effect it will make it easier to read. Also, often times when you feint the other guy will have already fallen for it, so what’s the point of playing a sound when someone presses q?

• @McLumberjack:

How does that help? You can’t have a sound effect for something that’s ABOUT to happen, and a sound effect after a feint would add exactly nothing.

It used to be that people made an attack grunt after the point of no return, so if they made a yell you’d know to block, no yell, it’s still in feint territory. Is this not still the case? I confess in all the hubbub I forget to listen for it these days, and with fast weapons it wasn’t really reliable anyway. Good feature though, if they did take it out I’d question why.

A yell as you enter the nofeint territory would be just as good as a sound for feinting itself, but neither are present in the game at the moment. In fact now that we have the 0.2s feint lockout (that wasn’t present in the early versions IIRC) the yell would be even better, you’ll still have to have cat-like reflexes to parry the strike if you have no visual clues, but it’d certainly be possible.
    @Xylvion:

and footsteps, can’t hear people unless they’re already in range which is annoying.

I agree
    @Gndo:

I only like the first idea, and perhaps the last one if you mean people should only start wheezing when really low on stamina. Ideas 2 and 3 would just dumb the game down, ripostes are supposed to be fast and aren’t a problem anyways, also feints are supposed to fool people, but if you play a sound effect it will make it easier to read. Also, often times when you feint the other guy will have already fallen for it, so what’s the point of playing a sound when someone presses q?

Of course the feint can’t be played BEFORE someone feints, you’ll still have to wait out the windup period before parrying. But when the windup is at the last 0.2s and there have been no grunts, you know the deal is real and the strike will bite unless you parry. It increases readability, mane. Especially useful when you can’t exactly see the whole weapon model.

• Yes things like the things below for feints.

“haha fient” or “trololololololol” or even “get gud scrub”

Out of stamina could be things like.

“I’m really bloody tired the next time I parry something I’ll be stunned and you get a free hit and there’s nothing I can do about it”.

Really though it’ll make it a bit too easy and make it less immersive.

And I use footsteps tons. I think they are amazing in this game. If you can’t hear them turn up your volume.

• @Monsteri:

It should be increased so that you could only parry and combo.

Does that sound like “aHAahAHA DARE I PARRY YOU NOW?” I think it was pretty clear that you could still parry without getting dazed.

• Bump: Getting some dev input would be nice.

• Nothing needs to change. You can hear footsteps miles away don’t. And your other suggestions would just make things blatantly obvious.

• I can only hear footsteps from people in front of me, like 100 meter in front of me, behind me I can only hear them when they’re 5 meters away tops, only if they’re knights that are running though.

• Currently you can hear a small cling or thud even if the swing did not properly hit an object. This is a pain in the ass because often I find myself thinking “oh, he hit something, time to strike back”, but in fact it was only a scratch and his combo swing gets me.

95%+ of the time the weapon hits something it makes the correct sound. Once every now and then when lag is a bit higher than usual, it fails.

2. Higher pitch for parry ripostes

This one is mainly to make learning about the differences of a riposte and parry more intuitive for newbies. It also helps you in facehug combat, as when you hear this sound you can tell for sure that the enemy is going to strike. Many weapons have ridiculously fast ripostes that you need to parry almost instantly. Add feints to the mix and Claymore facehuggers become a huge pain to deal with.

The parry sound plays ASAP on parry, like you want above in section 1. The player that chooses to riposte on the parry would require at least 100ms for the client-server-client interaction that would require the parry riposte sound to initiate on your computer. So it would be a ‘double clang’ if you want the ASAP parry noise in section 1. They could add a sound on riposte, but I think it already grunts.

There is already a sound for feints. When the feint window closes the attack grunt sounds. Thus you should consider it a feint until you hear that grunt and hold your parry back until then.

4. Preciser wheezing

Currently the stamina wheezing threshold is way too low, basically it only tells you that the enemy is somewhat low on stamina. You can dodge, feint, kick, parry, combo, basically do everything with 30 stamina. It should be increased so that you could only parry and combo. There could be slightly lighter wheezing when low on stamina generally.

If you have additional ideas for sound clues, feel free to voice them in the comments.
    also plez discuss

That point is changing mechanics not sound, please be consistent. As it stands the wheezing is precise, it starts at a specific stamina count. It takes practice to internally understand where that point is and how to best take advantage of it.

Footsteps could do to be a little louder, I suspect sound card quality has an impact on this. IE onboard mobo sound is not good enough to give those footsteps the fidelity they need.
    Also remember that the engine plays by default 64 sounds. Perhaps increase that if you have a good enough CPU.

• @Toll:

95%+ of the time the weapon hits something it makes the correct sound. Once every now and then when lag is a bit higher than usual, it fails.

It doesn’t. It consistently makes a sound even though the blade doesn’t stop. Feel free to try it yourself, it’s the same offline and online.
    @Toll:

The parry sound plays ASAP on parry, like you want above in section 1. The player that chooses to riposte on the parry would require at least 100ms for the client-server-client interaction that would require the parry riposte sound to initiate on your computer. So it would be a ‘double clang’ if you want the ASAP parry noise in section 1. They could add a sound on riposte, but I think it already grunts.

It doesn’t grunt.
    EDIT: Also, I know there is some delay in the input, perhaps I didn’t articulate it well but what I meant with the higher pitch is that it’d start off as the usual parry sound and pitch upwards if the attack command is given. CHALaiinnng
    @Toll:

There is already a sound for feints. When the feint window closes the attack grunt sounds. Thus you should consider it a feint until you hear that grunt and hold your parry back until then.

There is no grunt 100% of the time in live.
    @Toll:

That point is changing mechanics not sound, please be consistent. As it stands the wheezing is precise, it starts at a specific stamina count. It takes practice to internally understand where that point is and how to best take advantage of it.

Sure, it is precise, but it still isn’t of much use. You can dodge and with some backstrafing dodge quickly again.
    @Toll:

Footsteps could do to be a little louder, I suspect sound card quality has an impact on this. IE onboard mobo sound is not good enough to give those footsteps the fidelity they need.
    Also remember that the engine plays by default 64 sounds. Perhaps increase that if you have a good enough CPU.

I think there’s some sort of an odd system in place where you hear footsteps from much farther away if you’re looking at their general direction, but if someone’s running behind you they make almost no sound until they’re in hit range. I suppose this is nice for sneaking up on archers, but it’s somewhat annoying in group combat. Also gives even more advantage to 3p players.

• Feints are perfectly readable and don’t need anything else to make them any easier. If they were any easier, they’d be useless against good players.

• But there is already a grunt after “nofeint territory”.

• @Xylvion:

I can only hear footsteps from people in front of me, like 100 meter in front of me, behind me I can only hear them when they’re 5 meters away tops, only if they’re knights that are running though.

You can hear ten you just aren’t noticing them. People notice sounds wen they are looking at the thing making the sound. Often people just don’t notice things from behind.

Or your headset is fucked.

• Hmm sounds work most of the time for me, I don’t have the problem of weapons clanging but continuing on and feitn grunt works too.

Maybe your computer needs an upgrade or your network connection is pov?

• Only posting about the first issue. We brought this up to Slygoat ages ago. He said it was a feature. You can replicate it
    easily. Turn on tracers, go up to a tree/wall. Swing till the very edge of the red tracers intersect the wall. It’ll play sound as if it hit but continue through. This is annoying as you can’t trust the sound. Nothing to do with lag or fps.

• @Naleaus:

Only posting about the first issue. We brought this up to Slygoat ages ago. He said it was a feature. You can replicate it
    easily. Turn on tracers, go up to a tree/wall. Swing till the very edge of the red tracers intersect the wall. It’ll play sound as if it hit but continue through. This is annoying as you can’t trust the sound. Nothing to do with lag or fps.

I think the sound is slightly different that with a full hit, but would be near impossible to tell the difference in combat.