How to expand CMW next?

• So we had a side track with DW which was not a true expansion.

What would be a good incremental expansion that is not an overhaul, but builds upon the existing code base to add great value to CMW? I would of course rule out MMO or really anything that takes more than 6 months to add.

We have the community working on maps, some of which will be incorporated, with tweaking and polishing by the devs.

But what can be added that you would consider innovative to make the game even more fun?

Progression of some sort is always popular (look at MMORPG popularity) but obviously cannot progress weapons/armor because that would defeat the purpose of balanced fights. I suppose you could have something to progress towards cool armor/weapons - the whole level 60 helm I guess but given the rank bugs etc not sure that adds much.

Anything single player I would rule out as that never amounts to long lasting play.

It is a pity the engine is so complex to add functionality, I do like how they are working on making it better but there are limits which is why hopefully they are investing in R&D to get onto a new engine.

The only idea I can think of is to have a server in the middle of the Atlantic ocean and have Europe vs Americas vs rest of the world in a server which tracks battles and shows a map so that as one side beats the other the territory turns the appropriate color so you can fight for your continent.

• Long story short: Chiv 2 but with a more mature development team

• Something with zombies IMO.

• @Sophax:

Long story short: Chiv 2 but with a more mature development team

^^^ This ^^^

• I’ve been wanting medieval zombies forever. Finally someone’s trying it.

• @Chimpanzer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/648243123/dead-crusade?ref=live

Shit that looks cool but unpolished but cool nonetheless.

Btw did he refrence Chivalry Medieval Warfare as the game that they worked on? Who are these ex-Chivalry devs or current Chiv devs working on that game?

EDIT: Found him

“Scott oversees the creative direction of Dead Crusade and acts as Lead 3D Artist on the project. Scott started his career as a 3D Environment Artist at BioWare, working on Star Wars: The Old Republic helping to create many of the games planets and dungeons. Scott than went on to act as a co founder and Lead 3D Environment Artist on Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, directly recruiting and managing a team of over 10 artists and co-creating many of the games official maps. His most recent release was 2013: Infected wars, working as Lead Environment before moving on to create Aesthetic Games and begin work on Dead Crusade.

You have this game that does the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkt-8N0BVXs sort of

• Meh there hasn’t been any news on hellraid in forever though, and considering it’s Dead Island style combat, I don’t know how good it could be anyway.

• @Chimpanzer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/648243123/dead-crusade?ref=live

lol’d at the 3 headed rat.

Chiv with zombies? Rather have a peasant uprising with cudgels.

• Crusaders vs Saracens, presented in a strictly non-political/religious way. The Saracens of the Crusades era had their own distinctive equipment and fighting techniques - a Saracen model as a general option would be cool to have in the game.

• @Cat1099:

Crusaders vs Saracens, presented in a strictly non-political/religious way. The Saracens of the Crusades era had their own distinctive equipment and fighting techniques - a Saracen model as a general option would be cool to have in the game.

Well if you look at the lore of the game or just play the training level the Agathians did go to war with people presumably Saracens/Turks. It was a crusade and they described the landscape as a hot desert. Happened 3 years before the events of this game and they were called Tenosians. The defeats the Agathian empire suffered and the death of the king started this civil war between the mason order and the rest of the agathian empire.

All completely fictional of course but it would be a nice prequel. All in the book of lore which is sadly lost due to torn banner “upgrading” their site a couple of times.

• I’d like to see some sort of co-op horde mode. A small group of players fighting upon an ever growing mountain of corpses. It doesn’t have to be zombies, in fact it’d be better if it wasn’t. Reasons for this are twofold:

1. It would give TB some much needed AI and crowd experience which would come in good stead for the development of Chivalry: MW2, a technologically advanced game where players lead whole armies against each other in an enormous spectacle of battlefield violence.

2. It’d be rad.

• More official TO with stuff like Coldfront where you are assaulting an enemy castle with siege towers, ladders, catapults. Defenders with massed ballista, boiling oil etc.

• @lemonater47:

Well if you look at the lore of the game or just play the training level the Agathians did go to war with people presumably Saracens/Turks. It was a crusade and they described the landscape as a hot desert. Happened 3 years before the events of this game and they were called Tenosians. The defeats the Agathian empire suffered and the death of the king started this civil war between the mason order and the rest of the agathian empire.

All completely fictional of course but it would be a nice prequel. All in the book of lore which is sadly lost due to torn banner “upgrading” their site a couple of times.

I didn’t pick up on that in the training level but I need to revisit it anyway. I’ve only been playing since early March, so lost out on the book of lore.

A Crusader/Saracen conflict as the theme for an expansion and Saracen models as choices for play would bring a true historical aspect to the game.

• @lemonater47:

I think I have the lore page bookmarked, will have a squiz when I get home. Something along these lines would be great, could even run it as a sequel, having the Tenosian forces invade the weakened and divided continent, potentially opening up mason vs agatha vs tenosian style team objective maps etc (ie. 3-way battles)

• If you’re interested in Chivalry’s lore you can read up on it here.
    http://liveweb.archive.org/web/20130108194022/http://www.chivalrythegame.com/lore.htm

Also here is the link for the game manual that includes the lore prologue and some background info on the maps.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20121202070231/http://www.chivalrythegame.com/files/manual_v5.pdf

• Aren’t zombies a bit overdone now?

• @sephius:

Aren’t zombies a bit overdone now?

Yep.

Peasant uprising.

• Knifelegs, thanks for the links. I certainly didn’t get a manual with the Steam CMW download; lack of a manual is my biggest beef with download games in general.

• One of the awesome things about aoc was the siege maps, where there was more full-blown invasion battles, and more creative objectives like repairing a bridge so you can send a siege tower across and get into the castle. In MW it seems like TB is afraid to touch anything involving too much physics or coding, afraid they’ll break something.