Feints

• Chivalry has been out for over a year and a half now and feints are STILL a thing.
    There are threads almost daily about feints and for good reason.
    Because they are stupid, and have been since they were introduced.
    The whole idea of a feint is stupid in this game since it practically guarantees a free hit on your opponent. The “elite” of this game try to justify feints by saying they are readable (they aren’t lol you must have potato syndrome if you think that feints are readable or predictable) which I find quite ironic since the very same people are found falling for them ingame just like everyone else.
    There is no way to tell a feint from a real attack. All you can do is try and wait until the last second to parry and good luck parrying if they’ve feinted into a lookdown overhead.
    In every server you play in, there is always somebody calling somebody else out on being a feg for using feints and with good reason.
    Feints are a guessing game
    I can deal with the all in one, can do absolutely everything greatsword and the pro rank 50s that use it exclusively and think they’re good.
    But feints are dogshit.
    I can’t believe that there are people that still actually defend feints.
    After all this time. All the butthurt it has caused. All the controversy for and against feints. Since release this has been a topic. And feints still aren’t gone or at least fixed.
    good feint m8! Wow that was a good feint! totally didn’t see that 1!! OMG that feint was amazing!!! gg
    What’s sad is I heard some clanfags say this in one of their videos the other day. GOOD FEINT M8 GOOD FEINT!!
    TB please fix the dogshit that is feints and stop spilling coffee all over the servers.
    But as I’m sure I’m going to be told by the best community ever, I guess I just need to “git gud”.
    GIT GUD M8 GOOD FEINT M8 GOOD FEINT!! TOP KEK I TIP MUH HELMET 2 U

• Probably a bad troll, creating a new account for this, bad attempt my friend.

• This bait. It is alluring. Well-crafted. It sparkles in the water. But the fish knows it is bait.

• git gud
    /10feints

• Lost me at “there are still threads on feints every day”. I don’t think I’ve seen one since last year.

• “GIT GUD M8 GOOD FEINT M8 GOOD FEINT!! TOP KEK I TIP MUH HELMET 2 U”

Ooohh, I get it. 1 post+ joindate Apr 2014 = 1 april.
    A late april fools joke. Clever man.

• LMB feints? Pretty easy. Overhead feints? A little tricker.

Stab feints and handle hit polearm feints (I’m looking at you polehammer) are the only real problems with feints right now, and it has more to do with animation starting inside an enemy’s playermodel than it does with the feint mechanic itself.

My biggest problem, to this day, is in regards to facehug stab feints and facehug brandi feints. Both of these things will hit you immediately upon release, giving you no time to decide whether or not they’re going to be dragged around your body or go straight into you. Overhead feints for polearms would also become easier to read if a solution to handle-hits were devised, giving even more reason to suggest that feinting itself isn’t what makes countering feints difficult.

Really, the problem with feints actually is not feints, but how the game’s mechanics work in conjunction with them.

• The OP lacks parsimony.

• Its funny that you bash him because top knight duels have like 50% guessing in it these days.

• I defend feints. Not because I overly enjoy to use them, but because I enjoy the challenge they represent when used against me. In a competitive point of view I rather have feints that are hard, but possible to read and deal with, than a lame back&forth swinging game that ends up with somebody losing his stamina. More often than not it’s a heavy weapon vs a light weapon and the guy with the lighter weapon runs out of stamina and loses the fight. Not very entertaining.

And if you don’t think feints are readable then just go agianst Sophax or someone and I’m pretty sure you will change your mind. And before someone says “hurr durr but they are not 100% readable” <- thats because it takes tremendous skill, but just because something is hard don’t make it random.

But tbh it doesn’t matter. Obviously the devs enjoy the feint mechanic since it’s still in the game. It’s their game they have all the right in the world to do whatever they want with it. Tbh I wish they woud just go with their own ideas 100% rather than try to please the entire community at the same time by doing wierd compromises and odd design decisions.

One thing I’ve noticed though recently is that tracers hit way before animation. No I am not talking about handle hits. I mean that the tracers are litteraly way ahead of the animation. I made a mod that pauses the flow of the game the second an attack connects, and what I saw was scary. With lookdown overheads the maul hit before the handle even connected and the weapon itself was pointing straight up into the air. It was the same with most other weapons and attacks, always hit a bit before the model actually colides with the player. If they fixed that, feinting would also be alot more managable.

• @CRUSHED:

Its funny that you bash him because top knight duels have like 50% guessing in it these days.

Not true ^^

• FEINTS!..…

• One thing I’ve noticed though recently is that tracers hit way before animation. No I am not talking about handle hits. I mean that the tracers are litteraly way ahead of the animation. I made a mod that pauses the flow of the game the second an attack connects, and what I saw was scary. With lookdown overheads the maul hit before the handle even connected and the weapon itself was pointing straight up into the air. It was the same with most other weapons and attacks, always hit a bit before the model actually colides with the player. If they fixed that, feinting would also be alot more managable.

This sounds interesting. Could you post screens?

• @kywild:

I defend feints. Not because I overly enjoy to use them, but because I enjoy the challenge they represent when used against me. In a competitive point of view I rather have feints that are hard, but possible to read and deal with, than a lame back&forth swinging game that ends up with somebody losing his stamina. More often than not it’s a heavy weapon vs a light weapon and the guy with the lighter weapon runs out of stamina and loses the fight. Not very entertaining.

And if you don’t think feints are readable then just go agianst Sophax or someone and I’m pretty sure you will change your mind. And before someone says “hurr durr but they are not 100% readable” <- thats because it takes tremendous skill, but just because something is hard don’t make it random.

But tbh it doesn’t matter. Obviously the devs enjoy the feint mechanic since it’s still in the game. It’s their game they have all the right in the world to do whatever they want with it. Tbh I wish they woud just go with their own ideas 100% rather than try to please the entire community at the same time by doing wierd compromises and odd design decisions.

One thing I’ve noticed though recently is that tracers hit way before animation. No I am not talking about handle hits. I mean that the tracers are litteraly way ahead of the animation. I made a mod that pauses the flow of the game the second an attack connects, and what I saw was scary. With lookdown overheads the maul hit before the handle even connected and the weapon itself was pointing straight up into the air. It was the same with most other weapons and attacks, always hit a bit before the model actually colides with the player. If they fixed that, feinting would also be alot more managable.

You mean using AOC_Slomo 0.1 was too hard to use?

• @kywild:

I think this is caused by your hitbox being in front of your 1st person model.
    When the camera and model were moved back(to fix clipping) the hitbox is still where your model used to be.
    Your actual hitbox cannot be perceived properly and that is an issue.

I am not sure though. I think I should actually make a thread to catch the devs attention and hear from them if I am horribly wrong or not.

• @Bluebeard:

I think this is caused by your hitbox being in front of your 1st person model.
    When the camera and model were moved back(to fix clipping) the hitbox is still where your model used to be.
    Your actual hitbox cannot be perceived properly and that is an issue.

I am not sure though. I think I should actually make a thread to catch the devs attention and hear from them if I am horribly wrong or not.

Yes, this. I honestly think this new camera is one of the worst things this game has ever seen. I want to be convinced otherwise, however.

• It makes fast hits even more out of sync

• Isn’t the entire point of a feint for it to be unreadable and you fall for it? If you’re fighting in real life, you want to be unpredictable, and that’s exactly the same in any competitive game. If you haven’t noticed, the formula for a game these days are to have a “easy” button, however that does not mean it’s cheap or unbeatable!

Most FPS games these days have an insta-kill melee, what is the difference between a CoD cheap knife attack and a Chiv feint? One difference is you can be feinted and receive a hit, but you CAN live and fight back. You aren’t useless the moment a feint is used against you, find other means of approaching your target, if you know he feints in his strategy, use better footwork…back the hell up…get hit with a free attack and then ruin your opponent because you aren’t one hit. If you’re playing an MAA, DODGE!

Comprehend you aren’t useless, this is a game based solely upon understanding your enemy and predicting your enemy(whether using a feint, OH, swing, or stab) and that is the absolute beauty of it. This is why this game still lives on and so many people are compelled to come back. It is not a run and gun lul I win because I one hit everyone. You have to think about your actions and you’re punished when you screw up, rewarded when you throw your opponent in a panic.

THIS MAKES SENSE!

• One thing I’ve noticed though recently is that tracers hit way before animation. No I am not talking about handle hits. I mean that the tracers are litteraly way ahead of the animation. I made a mod that pauses the flow of the game the second an attack connects, and what I saw was scary. With lookdown overheads the maul hit before the handle even connected and the weapon itself was pointing straight up into the air. It was the same with most other weapons and attacks, always hit a bit before the model actually colides with the player. If they fixed that, feinting would also be alot more managable.

@Flippy:

This sounds interesting. Could you post screens?

It actually makes a lot of sense and it’s the reason I want the old camera back. You character’s hit box is now way in front of your eyes now and it makes things both look like they hit earlier than they should and it also makes things look like they hit wayyyyyy out of reach.

The new camera is honestly a huge problem.

EDIT: Just realized BlueBeard ninja’d me to the answer.

• @kywild:

I duel vs sophax regularly and both of us can read shitty feints or feints from a bit of distance, but facehug stab feints/lookdown overhead into your head is mostly guessing. My knight tourney also proved that feints are mostly guessing atm as so many people are falling for them these days, when i play random and do some good stab and OH feints pretty much nobody can read them as far as i know

Good feint for me = freehit 90% of the time, 10% the other time i get sidestepped or the other guy gambles and just attacks

Feints readable on some weapons like double axe or maul, sure, 2HSwords, broadsword etc? hell no

it doesnt help that the tracers hit too early and we have ping

Call it mindgames or whatever. Its still not mechanical skill.