Reworked parry/block system

• I honestly don’t know how others, aside from my own group of friends that play this game, feel about the parry system, personally it feels a little flawed.

A lot of combat i’ve both observed and been in just end in endless parry wars until one person gets fed up or gets a few lucky hits off, problem is, it shouldn’t come down to one party getting so bored he feels the need to play over-agressively, that’s not tactics, that’s being bored/frustrated from having a large, slow hitting 2 hander be parried repeatedly by a dagger.

I’m not sure if it’s in the game or not, (and if it is, it needs some serious changing), but the weapons need to take a certain amount of stamina based on the type they are, a dagger shouldn’t be able to parry a greatsword/maul several times, it should take away some serious stamina. Unless I’m mistaken, the idea of a smaller, fast hitting weapon isn’t to parry an enemy with a weapon 4x larger than his own until you’re able to stunlock them from attacking, forcing them to parry back.

An example of what I said above is.

Maul > Dagger - 45% stamina away from sideswing, 50% for overhead.

It’s not just smaller weapons I’m talking about either, the spears/halbert are able to constantly parry an enemy until they can simply outrange them, want to play aggressively against them? too bad prepare to get every attack parried, want to try a faster hitting weapon on a different class, too bad prepare to get your shit rocked by 1 hit.

Tl;dr, a lot of the combat relies too heavily on the playstyle to widdle you target down to utter boredom by forcing them to parry repeatability while you do the same, by the time you get a good parry off and recover, or you break their parry, you’re both straight back to parrying again

• Endless parry wars is awesome. :P

But yeah, I wish they’d remove the random “Parry doesn’t work this time!” for no reason.

• Feints with onehanders are extremely hard to predict.

• @SlyGoat:

Feints with onehanders are extremely hard to predict.

Irrelevant, by the time you parry and the one-hander either realizes that he should attack or is mid swing, you can just parry it again

• Which is why feints exist. A person who knows how to perfectly feint can end a fight in less than 4 seconds no matter how good you are, because I’ve done it, and it’s been done to me. If you really think feints are irrelevant (regardless of weapon, all timings can be learnt with a bit of practice), I urge you to duel either Sophax, or one of my most recently trained, Planetus and I promise they’ll render your parries completely useless.

Of course, if you don’t want to feint, you don’t have to attack the moment you parry another attack, you could wait a second (because they’ll likely be expecting a counter if you’ve both traded a couple of times), and attack near the end of their parry animation to land a hit whilst they’re recovering - that’s another little trick from AoC.

• @Martin:

Which is why feints exist. A person who knows how to perfectly feint can end a fight in less than 4 seconds no matter how good you are, because I’ve done it, and it’s been done to me. If you really think feints are irrelevant (regardless of weapon, all timings can be learnt with a bit of practice), I urge you to duel either Sophax, or one of my most recently trained, Planetus and I promise they’ll render your parries completely useless.

Of course, if you don’t want to feint, you don’t have to attack the moment you parry another attack, you could wait a second (because they’ll likely be expecting a counter if you’ve both traded a couple of times), and attack near the end of their parry animation to land a hit whilst they’re recovering - that’s another little trick from AoC.

This, especially the second paragraph.

• @Martin:

Which is why feints exist. A person who knows how to perfectly feint can end a fight in less than 4 seconds no matter how good you are, because I’ve done it, and it’s been done to me. If you really think feints are irrelevant (regardless of weapon, all timings can be learnt with a bit of practice), I urge you to duel either Sophax, or one of my most recently trained, Planetus and I promise they’ll render your parries completely useless.

This, if you don’t know how to feint then you shouldn’t be complaining about the system, because feinting is how you go through people’s constantly parrying. Not only that, but there is a shield bash/kick button which can stun them long enough to get a hit in.

• Skilled players can overcome it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnRxtazljg

• @Andrew:

Skilled players can overcome it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnRxtazljg

Not when The Baldy is in it.

Though I did just go match for match with him, he’s way to good to fight.

• The reason blocking is so hard is because this game requires you to have 60 fps or you can block or successfully attack. 40 fps is fine. But from personal experience at playing 20 fps for about 28 hour is frustrating and you cannot see the other players attack.

I turned everything on low settings and changed my resolution very small so now I have 40-60 frames depending on the map. I do much better and it is 100% less frustrating. :fenc:

• I understand the concept of feint, thanks. I mean I outlined that in my OP but sure.

What I was talking about was the lack of/minor penalty for parrying with a smaller weapon with a quick swing, to a large weapon with a slow swing.

Believe it or not, it takes more effort to swing a halbert and have it parried than it does to swing a dagger and have it parried, especially if they’re done against eachother

• Incomparing to the way the new parry system works and the old one in Age of Chivalry, I would have to say that I prefere this one. IF you feel like you are not able to parry attacks, then I strongly suggest to practice a little bit :-) I got no problems with it.

• @wildwulfy:

Incomparing to the way the new parry system works and the old one in Age of Chivalry, I would have to say that I prefere this one. IF you feel like you are not able to parry attacks, then I strongly suggest to practice a little bit :-) I got no problems with it.

He’s not saying that he’s having trouble parrying, he’s saying that it’s too easy to parry.

• I’m tired of finally chasing down an archer who keeps shooting me as I fight (like a man) and then as he knows how to block, he can just keep blocking me over and over until a teammate of his comes to back stab me. I should be able to overwhelm him, he should be losing stamina or the block should only take away some of the damage. At the least he should get stunned for blocking with a dagger.

• @Revilo:

I understand the concept of feint, thanks. I mean I outlined that in my OP but sure.

What I was talking about was the lack of/minor penalty for parrying with a smaller weapon with a quick swing, to a large weapon with a slow swing.

Believe it or not, it takes more effort to swing a halbert and have it parried than it does to swing a dagger and have it parried, especially if they’re done against eachother

I don’t think parrying is too easy or common, but I agree with this portion. It’s definitely a balance issue if the stamina drain is equal when the weapon weights are so dissimilar.

• heres ma opinion:

stamina shouldnt be drained to much by parrying in common. if u parry a hammer with a dagger u should DEFINITLY lose alot of stamina but for the fairness u shouldnt get too much damaged.
    and yea blocking seems way to easy it should be like aiming really percicsely at the attacking spot to successfully block it. like for instance move prty far up with your whole sword to parry incoming overhead attacks, or aiming at the right side for a slash not just pressing parry and hope for hte best. or lets say i stab someones leg and he didnt jump he just blocked me very skillfully and all dat. well i dont mean make the blocking area ridicoulusly small but i mean greatsword = rather easy to parry just because its yea prty big but maybe little slow. mace u gotta aim percisely for an successfull block but its prty “handy” so u could have the chance to retry or something i dunno.

more difficulty, more player reward -> more epic moments and more “realisim” outa this.

• I agree on the matter entirely, stamina penalties should occur when parrying against much heavier weapons, maybe even receive a percentage of the full damage in the case of severely outclasses weapons such as dagger vs greatsword/hammer.

• There are more techniques than feinting to break someone’s guard :)

• Totally agree. When I unlocked the maul I was furious at its complete uselesness against an enemy with a dagger, an archer in this case.
    Come on, if anyone tried to block such an overhead strike with a dagger in a real fight, they would just have the hand and the dagger hammered all the way from their head to their groin.
    I think it should be much harder to parry strikes with daggers, after all, they are quite short and probably not as durable as a sword.
    Or maybe some formula of this kind:

x = attacker’s weapon’s stamina needed for a strike
    y = defender’s weapon’s stamina needed for a strike
    z = stamina consumed for the parry

and then

z = (x-y) * 1,5

or something like that. Add some kind of a minimal value so that blocking a dagger with a zweihander doesn’t cost 0 stamina. Obviously, you are the math guys, your formula would probably look more like the catch rate in Pokemon games :P
    If I got it right, a formula like this should make it more stamina-consuming to block a big weapon with a small one, but make it quite balanced when fighting weapons of similar size and weight.

• I noticed that parrying seems to put you into a longer pause then attack spamming. So, if you block an attack from another player he’ll be able to swing again before you can get in an attack. It seems kind of pointless to even bother trying to block for me; it works only some of the time and doesn’t help me get a better opening to strike back. The only real option is to play man of war and hop around my enemy to confuse/disorient them.

Maybe I’m doing it wrong?