Are low rank servers a good idea or not

• Recently I’ve been seeing posts on the steam forums from new players who think the combat and gameplay is really basic, clunky and basically shit. Their experience has been in the low rank 0-15 servers, and they have even said the chat in these servers is basically full of people laughing at how “crap” the game is.

Low rank servers didn’t exist when I started playing the game, and I remember getting my ass kicked by skilled players, this was a little annoying, but it also showed me the skill that can be attained in this game, and ultimately, made me want to play the game more to improve.

I understand that these low rank servers are supposed to be there so new players aren’t thrown in at the deep end so to speak, but if this low skill spamfest is a players first impression of the game I’m not suprised it puts people off.

So, should low rank servers be removed?

• Shouldn’t take too long for any sensible person to figure out that mindless spamming can only get a player so far.

• Yes but there are players who have terrible first impressions of the combat because they only play against other equally clueless players, and then write the game off as amateur and casual.

Clearly not good for increasing the player base.

• @B4RK:

Shouldn’t take too long for any sensible person to figure out that mindless spamming can only get a player so far.

The problem is that mindless spamming is most effective in a pub match where every single players is just a terrible players. So people see how effective it is and assume that’s all the game has to offer. It’s really awful and bad for the game’s health. I would support removing the low rank servers.

• Thank GOD for low rank servers. I fucking hate joining a pub duel server, only to find it populated by level fives.

• Added poll, second option is supposed to say wrong impression, I blame my phone xD

• @Flippy:

The problem is that mindless spamming is most effective in a pub match where every single players is just a terrible players. So people see how effective it is and assume that’s all the game has to offer. It’s really awful and bad for the game’s health. I would support removing the low rank servers.

I agree with this point of view. Spamming LMB works in these pubs so when these newly ranked 16’s get out into the wild and start getting destroyed with simple concepts like correct distancing or proper parry-ripostes the logical conclusion they’re going to come to is “wow this game is shit”. I don’t want them to think that! This game isn’t shit its awesome and there’s more to it than LMB spamming for days.

I think there shouldn’t be any low level servers. Trial by fire is the only way. Perhaps making a better tutorial would help more.

• Steam forums are toxic as hell. If only, even the new players, would just join this forum instead of believing what all the “400-500 hours pro’s who get drunk and bitch about how TB is purposefully screwing them with every patch” have to say on the Steam forums.

I think the low rank servers are a good idea but shouldn’t be highlighted in green making them so obvious in the server browser. I can relate to new players not wanting to be pubstomped by players better than them, but currently the low rank servers are the ONLY servers noobs join until they no longer meet the criteria. Then, at rank 16, they play their first match on a normal TO server and immediately start calling everything they see “exploits”, “tryhards”, and “broken”.

It’s comparable to swimming, really. A kid who spends his first years in the kiddie pool shouldn’t immediately dive into the ocean without supervision afterwards. They gradually start spending less time in the kiddie pool and more in the deeper pools, getting swimming lessons.
    Somewhat of a vague example scenario, I know.

Low rank servers are a great addition, but don’t make them so obvious for new players to find. Or lower the maximum rank to 10 instead of 15.

• Anyone who is half-competent will be able to judge the potential of the combat mechanics fairly well regardless of the server selection. The people who complain have no patience and would never amount to anything anyway.

• @dudeface:

Anyone who is half-competent will be able to judge the potential of the combat mechanics fairly well regardless of the server selection. The people who complain have no patience and would never amount to anything anyway.

Possibly, but there was one guy who posted a screenshot of him coming top of the board for his team as vanguard (lol) on his first game, to prove how “easy” this game is, and how basic the combat was. Essentially he thought he had mastered the game already. And this apparently made him think the game was bad.

• The game is better off without him.

• @dudeface:

The game is better off without him.

Probably so, but that’s not my point. My point is that low rank servers give a bad and incorrect first impression of the game. And first impressions are important if you want to “sell” a game or any product.

• I feel like the concept of the idea is good. However I often notice that players who “graduate” from these low rank servers have a hard time transitioning to normal servers. They are suddenly thrown into an environment in which they are outclassed, and some of them get frustrated as a result. I know that some people are suggesting that there be intermediate servers to perhaps lessen the difficulty of transition.

• Chivalry will never have a good first impression to the “download and play” players that see there’s a Tutorial/Training Mode but just refuse to actually play it first.

Be it postponed by joining a low rank server or immediately encountered by accidentally joining a classic duel server, new players will get their ass kicked. They should. Some players have played too much CoD in the past and simply won’t accept that they can’t beat everyone and know everything about the game in the first 50 hours. They will get their asses kicked, and they will have to do a lot of trial and error.

The CoD playerbase simply can’t handle skill-based games. I think that’s the golden rule here.
    The low rank servers are fine if you ask me, but don’t confuse low-ranked players with unwilling-to-learn players.

• Having those low rank servers means you don’t lose players prone to rage quitting.

Not having those servers means you don’t lose potential good players as at the moment they don’t understand.

• How about 0-10 rank servers and 11-20 rank servers?

• @Monsteri:

How about 0-10 rank servers and 11-20 rank servers?

The trouble I see with this, is that it just delays the problem. If new players start in 0-10/15 then just ‘graduate’ to the intermediate servers without encountering skilled players, how are they going to learn.

IMO, the sooner a new player encounters a skilled player the sooner they can begin learning. If they just ragequit because they got their ass kicked then maybe this game isn’t for them. After all this game requires patience; no instant gratification here.

I can see positives and negatives for having low ranked servers, I just hope they don’t put off more players than they help.

• People whine when they outrank the lowrank servers because all of a sudden they can’t kill anyone. Idc, but they’d be better if they played against high rank players since day 1.

• Out my nearly 200 hours in the game, perhaps three have been spent in low rank servers…I found them boring and started playing in duelyards that allow players of all levels. Yes, I’ve been killed 5 times for every kill made and am still a crappy player, but this kind of play doesn’t allow for self-deception. There’s a decent player in me somewhere and he’ll eventually come out.

That being said, I really don’t have an opinion about low rank servers, other than perhaps a level 0-25 duelyard would allow new players to compete and learn something without being bullied by level 50s.

• @Cat1099:

Out my nearly 200 hours in the game, perhaps three have been spent in low rank servers…I found them boring and started playing in duelyards that allow players of all levels. Yes, I’ve been killed 5 times for every kill made and am still a crappy player, but this kind of play doesn’t allow for self-deception. There’s a decent player in me somewhere and he’ll eventually come out…

Don’t give up, you will get there with the right attitude and determination, which you seem to have plenty of.