Parrying/Stamina Issues

• People have been complaining that they run out of stamina too quickly during fights and they get killed when they don’t even make any mistakes. You’re penalized for successfully blocking attacks and fights against multiple enemies can’t possibly last longer than like 10 seconds, no matter how skilled the player is. My idea is to make parrying have 0 stamina cost; fights would last longer in general, so duels would be more enjoyable. No more annoying stun for running out of stamina from blocking multiple attacks successfully, and no more fights being fought around grinding the other player’s stamina away through spamming them to death. You would still run out of stamina during fights, but only from making mistakes; ripostes that miss would still be penalized and random spamming would be penalized. This would make defending against attacks easier, and it would encourage attackers to actually think their attacks through and use clever strategies for getting around shields/parries. It would discourage what people are currently doing: smashing people over the head with the same attack over and over again until they run out of stamina (very quickly). Currently, playing defensively is just about impossible and every fight is a panic that rapidly degrades into a LMB-fest to get the other players stamina down before yours. This might even be the largest problem with the game right now, and the combat’s lack of enjoyability is wrongly being blamed on other things that are actually fixed (feints, bubble, animations, etc.). Thoughts?

• I agree I’ve been saying this for a long time! But there is still an issue that weapons hit too fast and ahead of animation. Windups are also too short resulting in hit trade playstyles where random outcomes are too common. A less good opponent can very often beat a better one by simply chancing and randomly attacking alot (spamming?).

Here’s an old rather embarassing clip of me fighting dnotol in a ESL tournament back in januari 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRCzGl95n6s

This is gameplay at its finest. The game was so damn fun back then, looking at old footage makes me really miss it. Believe me I have tons of footage of me getting rekt as well but there’s so little bullshit and combat is much more fluid. And I know for a fact I wasn’t whining about the game back then, only about the idle flinch which was just a bug.

Oh and the bubble isnt fixed, it’s still there. I want them to make it exactly like it was before, smaller that is.

• As a few people may know I very seldom parry, in fact others say I never really parry. Anyways I know for a fact that if you run out of stamina blocking it is still viable to continue the fight by using sidesteps, footwork, and flinches.

• @Cerebral:

As a few people may know I very seldom parry, in fact others say I never really parry. Anyways I know for a fact that if you run out of stamina blocking it is still viable to continue the fight by using sidesteps, footwork, and flinches.

Good luck with that versus people who can aim and who actually close in before they attack. And in 1vMany you’re chanceless unless your opponents are complete garbage.

• @kywild:

Good luck with that versus people who can aim and who actually close in before they attack. And in 1vMany you’re chanceless unless your opponents are complete garbage.

Perhaps this only works with spear weapons, and it actually works very well in 1vMany situations.

• I like this idea, rather than mindlessly spamming in 1vN situations I like to keep defensive and wait for an opening, however it’s not really possible if I want to have some stamina left for feints. Shields would need some sort of an additional buff if stamina cost for parrying was removed. And no, no, NO unlimited stamina for shields please. Perhaps the bash could be combo’d like a normal attack?

• @kywild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRCzGl95n6s

Haha, that parry speed back then was a bit silly. You could recover from falling to a feint by backing away and parrying again.

• 0 stamina drain on blocking would make heavy weapon useless vs very good player, the stamina drain on parrying is already good right now, the problem is the stamina drain on feinting, ftp, cftp, it’s to high you can’t fight multiple opponent like before, but before buffing this you need to make all feints readable and it’s not really the cases right now lol.

• Heavy weapons wouldn’t be useless, they would still have crazy knockback, damage, and in most cases, reach. Also, a very good player could just as easily counter any other weapon in the game, not just heavy weapons. You would have plenty of stamina left for feinting if parries didn’t cost anything. Eliminating the cost for parries would also reduce the amount of stamina used in ftp and cftp. Also, if you eliminate the cost for feinting you would encourage people to feint more than they already do.