Good lord, this duel gamemode!

• Before you say anything: I didn’t know this yet. I had no idea about the current state of the vanilla duel gamemode in Chivalry. I heard bad things about it, but I’ve converted to classic duel servers instead and hadn’t played the vanilla duel gamemode in about 6 months.

Good god was I surprised with the current state of it. Duel menu still cancels whatever you typed in chat, your cursor is completely disabled from time to time, challenging or accepting a challenge is glitchy as hell, and the winner of the match still isn’t announced 75% of the time (it just says “Won the most duels!”, without a name).

I’ve been suggesting this gamemode to new players for such a long time… Sure, I usually told them that you’ll find better players on classic duel. But I pretty much always mentioned the vanilla duel gamemode as well.
    All these new players I recommended to play this. Oh my.

If there is ever a patch called the “Let’s Finally Fix The 1 Year Anniversary Bugs”, duel menu should definitely be somewhere on top of the fix list.

• Yeh, duel mode needs to be completely overhauled. It’s in really bad shape.

• I hate duel-mode. I find it to be full of residually aggressive players who care only about their record. How the hell am I supposed to learn to get better if I only fight the top guy once or twice and he comes at me with every trick he’s got?

Classic duel (chiv+ duel my personal fave) is so much laid back, friendlier and a much better learning experience. The pro’s can go all out on you sure; but they’d rather go all out on their equally skilled buddies, and since there is no record they usually don’t mind taking it easy on a lower rank.

• @Jack:

I hate duel-mode. I find it to be full of residually aggressive players who care only about their record. How the hell am I supposed to learn to get better if I only fight the top guy once or twice and he comes at me with every trick he’s got?

Classic duel (chiv+ duel my personal fave) is so much laid back, friendlier and a much better learning experience. The pro’s can go all out on you sure; but they’d rather go all out on their equally skilled buddies, and since there is no record they usually don’t mind taking it easy on a lower rank.

Well, I disagree when you say that its “full of residually aggressive players”. We sure have that, but there are some nice people too.

About the learning thing, well, we should all learn the basics (draging, riposte etc) from a tutorial + pratice mode (with decent skilled bots) witch is something we also don’t have. So its up to veterans to teatch noobs, and that is really, really bad. As you said, there are some aggresive players who care only about their record.

But yeah, Duel Mode really needs some love. And the tutorial, we need so much a better tutorial… Everyday its the same bullshit, “AW DRAGGING BITCH, EXPLOITER, WTF”. A nice tutorial would fix this.

• @Jack:

I hate duel-mode. I find it to be full of residually aggressive players who care only about their record. How the hell am I supposed to learn to get better if I only fight the top guy once or twice and he comes at me with every trick he’s got?

I can attest to this, because I would definitely qualify as one of those residually aggressive players who lorded over the duel servers; I used to live on a steady diet of liquor, heavy powerlifting, beef, and Chivalry. I still sort of do.

However, when duel records actually broke a GREAT many months ago, either displaying 0:0 or some bogus number (and our actual records are probably permanently erased), I stopped caring nearly as much. Sure, I stomped for a nice 10-0 for a few hours every day, but those records were the bread and butter of duels and of duelers like myself.

One thing the duel records brought to everyone was the FEAR of loss.

To the OP… You are barely even scratching the surface. Duel mode is horrifically, unimaginably neglected and broken.