My first scrim, advice/tips?

• Alright so I’m the server admin/group officer of a very new chiv clan, and next week I will be taking part in my very first scrim.

That’s right I’m a virgin (at comp play) and I haven’t seen any threads on scrim advice or teamplay help at comp level. Although I didn’t search, so sue me.

Anyways, I main knight longsword/broad if this is relevant, and it will be a 5v5 vs a much more experienced clan, so I am a little nervous.

I realise that teamplay advice will be very situational, but if there is anything you guys wish you had known before going into your first scrim, then please do let me know.

Thanks!

• Personally I believe with a weapon as the Longsword, you’re screwed in 5v5 scrims.
    But in a first scrim you’re bound to be screwed anyway.

A suggestion to keep in mind would be to constantly look over your teammates. NEVER get into situations where every member of the team has his own opponent to deal with because 1) the enemy is likely to flee from you and corner your teammate and 2) you said it yourself, they are more experienced. Only teamplay can win scrims.

• Yeah, I was considering trying a harder hitting weapon such as messer or poleaxe, but I have less experience with these, SoW could be another option if they have a few vanguards.

• scrims srs buisness

• Weapons I’d recommend for scrims are SoW against vanguards, Grand Mace, Poleaxe, or Polehammer against many knights.

In the end though, it all comes down to how much experience you have with 1 weapon…. except for with the Longsword.
    It’s been my favorite weapon for a long while, but in the end there’s just a moment where one needs to admit his favorite weapon has been completely nerfed into the dirt.

• Yeah, longsword is my favourite weapon too, but it’s only really good in duels, and when I say good, I actually mean because I like it.

• longsword is a shadow of its former (pre-summer patch) self but it can still work, particularly in 5v5 where you’re often only engaging 1 or 2 players in each teamfight. I stopped using it because i just couldn’t get results with it, but my clanmate has stuck with it and he usually outscores me so it’s still viable if you know how to use it.

communication is very important, for example make sure you call the archer position if you see it before the rest of your team so your own archer has a heads-up and your melee can position themselves accordingly. in teamfights, knights are usually the first to engage (well they are for us, anyway, i can’t really speak for all clans) so make sure you’re at or near the front - but it’s very important that you stay close enough to your teammates that you can’t be easily isolated and outnumbered by the other team before your friends can help, comp games are very unforgiving for lone-wolf knights.

the best advice i can give you is to try to enjoy it and don’t get downhearted or angry if things don’t go well. experience is a massive, massive deciding factor in scrims and it takes a fair amount of time to build team synergy and learn best practices. my clan started playing comp again in late february after an 8-month hiatus and the first few weeks were pretty painful with quite a few crushing defeats. As a new clan, you must expect to lose many games before you find your feet. do your best not to turn on teammates when they make mistakes, whilst contructive criticism is helpful and should be welcomed, shouting at people will just lead to a toxic atmosphere and make people not want to play again.

finally i’d reccomend you watch a few videos of clan games so you know what to expect ahead of time. alter has been recording most of our recent scrims, so you might want to check out his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHU5NHUjiCPXDlVRbadfEgg

edit: alter also plays LS in those vids so it might be helpful to see how he gets the best out of it too

• Thanks for the advice Thomi, I will have a look at those videos when I get home. Basically, apart from the group owner, none of us have been a part of the competitive scene before(we want to try bring new people into comp play), we have took part in a 2v2 and a 3v3 to date, both of which we managed to win, although due to short notice I wasn’t available for either.

• Chain of command. My clan got to division One. Four 22 week seasons of ctf. A leader should be able to change
    tactics and read the match and have good timing and know his players strengths.

• @loin:

Chain of command. My clan got to division One. Four 22 week seasons of ctf. A leader should be able to change
    tactics and read the match and have good timing and know his players strengths.

You’re in a clan, or have been? On the steam forums you call me a clanfag/clanqueen, and it seems you have more comp experience than I do. Hilarious.

• 1. Communication is key, tell your fellow clanmates what’s going on and if you see someone flanking, if you need help or whatevs.
    2. Feint the shit out of your opponent until he falls for one. If you don’t feint you’ll get feinted yourself. (practice feint reading)
    3. Don’t hit your teammates unless you both agree that it’s the best way to get rid of someone.
    4. Use SOW instead of longsword, a lot better to feint with, especially stabs.
    5. Communication again, most important part.
    6. Don’t get mad at your clanmates if they kill you or whatever, then they’ll be in a bad mood too and you will lose more likely.
    7. Regroup, don’t rush in alone.
    8. Communication.
    9. If possible try to go 2v1 against people to bring them down a lot faster.
    10. Communication is key.

• @Xylvion:

1. Communication is key, tell your fellow clanmates what’s going on and if you see someone flanking, if you need help or whatevs.
    2. Feint the shit out of your opponent until he falls for one. If you don’t feint you’ll get feinted yourself. (practice feint reading)
    3. Don’t hit your teammates unless you both agree that it’s the best way to get rid of someone.
    6. Don’t get mad at your clanmates if they kill you or whatever, then they’ll be in a bad mood too and you will lose more likely.
    8. Communication.

This and never attack one enemy with more than 2 team mates so you don’t risk too much team damage and all ways target switch, no tunnel vision!

• Best advice: WIN

• @Xylvion:

1. Communication is key, tell your fellow clanmates what’s going on and if you see someone flanking, if you need help or whatevs.
    8. Communication.

Pretty much this. Communication and feints. BTW, how do you know so well about this? I thought you were never in a clan.

• Communication. In any team game, communication is the biggest factor for good team work. (That and practicing with each other a lot).

It is so important that if you find your clan is NOT speaking during the scrim just start talking about anything. Don’t complain about anything, don’t whinge, don’t be negative. Just keep it light and fun, and it will transition into needed game communication. Don’t be silent.

This is important for any team game, not just chiv.

• Fight with a courage, protect your men and lead them to victory!

• @Albert!:

Pretty much this. Communication and feints. BTW, how do you know so well about this? I thought you were never in a clan.

I got my secrets (;

• @Albert!:

All of it is pretty common sense. Coming up with the list is easy, it’s actually executing it that is hard. Even for the most experienced players it can often be all too easy to make bad choices like rushing in alone without even realising it. Practice, experience and a constant vocal communication is needed to keep only good habits.

From there, the rest is personal and strategic improvement, both of which still have a lot of unexplored depths, so it’s definitely possible to catch up and start innovating.

The most important advice I can give though is to never ever focus on winning or losing. The result of the match should not matter to you or your team. What is important is to celebrate improvement (you may have still got crushed, but at least you hung in a little bit longer this time) and to take some time to think about what worked, what didn’t and why so next time you can try something new. The fun is in the challenge of improving, not just winning. Trust me when I say that winning is a whole lot sweeter when you’ve worked your thoroughly abused bumhole off to get there. ;)

• Play another game.

• Don’t take scrims too seriously. They’re just supposed to be practice. They’re 10x more fun than pubs and that’s the idea.