Blocking/ Parrying Consistence

• Hi guys I just wanted to talk about parrying and blocking real quick and hear some of your opinions on it.
    Everything I talk about in this post is just my experiences in game and I just want to see if anyone has any similar experiences and feels the same way I do.

Parrying/Blocking from behind:

I’ve noticed far more regularly now that when I attack an enemy from behind who is facing away from me and he parries my allies attack front on, he also manages to parry me from behind. This has always been an issue the game has suffered from I think but it never occurred as often as it does now for me at least. I could always overlook it as a 1 off since I didn’t see it happen enough to really make a big deal of it.

However this has been occurring much more now to the point that when I attack somebody from behind and they’re fighting against another player, I expect them to parry despite not facing me at all. This also happened with a shield the other day. This is not a ping issue or server lag and I am positive that its not an issue on my end either. I’d just like to ask - does anybody else experience this? How often? And do you think it is an issue that needs more attention? Is it a problem for you?

Inconsistent parries:

I think that parries in this game have always been inconsistent and always will be because of the way the game works and pings and such. But still I notice many attacks going clean through the parry like a hot knife through butter when they should be parried. I notice this mostly against man at arms on their stabs, when we’re facing it off and they then decide to dash forward and stab with usually broadsword or norse sword. But of course this still occurs with all the other classes. Archers are quite bad offenders for this type of thing also. Once again I’d just like to hear what you guys think of this? Do you find attacks going through your parry? How often? And is it a problem for you?

Feints vs Parrying

I think that the reason feints are hard for me to deal with personally is because of the speed that some attacks hit. For example the greatsword lookdown overhead. It’s pretty overpowered in my opinion but that’s another subject. Anyway, this attack on this particular weapon is very fast and can hit almost instantly in facehug range. The issue I find with feints is that if I see that overhead coming, I really don’t have time to wait to find out if it is a feint or not because if I try to call it, I’m going to get instant hit. Now I still fall for feints against other weapons, and as lame as I think feints are I can at least counter some of them by trying to wait it out. But I can’t do that against certain attacks on certain weapons such as the greatsword because they hit so fast. What do you guys think of this? Is it a problem for you?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this guys, thanks for reading.

• All of these issues occur to me as well. I hate it. I’ve just grown to deal with it unfortunately…

• I thought that it was just me experience this kind of thing!
    I have issue where if I attack from the side or behind & they are attacking someone infront of them, my hits just go right through them & does nothing - no parry just like thin air. Can get very annoying at times… it’s almost like it doesn’t register properly

• Butthole parrying has been happening at an all time high for me. I’ve never seen it happen so much before until lately. It’s rather annoying when I outsmart my opponent and there being roughly a 1 in 2 chance of him using his butthole to stop my blade.

• MaA quite often do side stabs, so you need to turn to the side before parrying. Unless you’re talking about ghost swings that pass through you and your parry without doing damage?

• The trick is to keep the tip of the enemies weapon in the center of your screen, and that’s why you can block from behind as well.

• I was starting to become sure that hit-thru-parry was an actual MAA ability it happens so often.

• @AngryDave:

I was starting to become sure that hit-thru-parry was an actual MAA ability it happens so often.

Do you turn before blocking?

• Not when the stab appears to be central, but yes otherwise.

• That was a good productive post kudos to OP.

I pretty much agree with your points, feints are never going to be balanced when it comes to stabs and overheads because you can start your attacks inside people and feint out of them so there is no such thing as waiting out in those situations because you either wait and get instant hit or you get feinted.

Its more obvious now with the bubble reduction, what needs to happen is weapons should collide with the environment, so if your spear is poking a player you should not be allowed to attack because you can’t put any force into it. A few games have this feature but I don’t think its been properly implemented in a melee game yet.

• Its more obvious now with the bubble reduction, what needs to happen is weapons should collide with the environment, so if your spear is poking a player you should not be allowed to attack because you can’t put any force into it. A few games have this feature but I don’t think its been properly implemented in a melee game yet.

But it would be super easy for people to abuse this. If you saw someone wind up an attack you could just sprint face first into their weapon and stop the attack.

• @Flippy:

But it would be super easy for people to abuse this. If you saw someone wind up an attack you could just sprint face first into their weapon and stop the attack.

What do you think happened in medieval combat?

• @zombojoe:

What do you think happened in medieval combat?

Fuck me, didn’t realize I was playing a medieval warfare simulator all this time.

• The unfeintable window should be increased. 250 ms (i believe that’s what it is now) is just too fast considering you have to factor in the ping, and the human average reaction time is around 300 ms.
    Maybe increase it to 300 ms or 350 would be better.

• @MissingNo:

The unfeintable window should be increased. 250 ms (i believe that’s what it is now) is just too fast considering you have to factor in the ping, and the human average reaction time is around 300 ms.

Actually the average human reaction time is 215ms. Though many things can alter it. People can score consistent 150ms reaction times. Then there are the really slow people getting 300ms. Being drunk or drugged slows it way down. Adrenalin can speed you up.

• =/
    Gonna buy myself some adrenaline injections. Feinters beware!

• So me playing chivalry drunk 90% of the time is detrimental to my performance? This sounds crazy!

• I play baked 90% of the time and if anything it makes me better. Drunk makes me laugh a lot more but I’m not as good, sorry Tyoson. Usually if I play drunk I just go into servers full of noobies (lvl 10-30) and feint-spam them. I don’t even attack, I just keep feinting them and watching them parry parry parry parry until I piss myself laughing at how retarded a mechanic it is.

• Game mechanics are clearly balanced around players with access to adrenaline shots going up against drunk players.

• @MissingNo:

The unfeintable window should be increased. 250 ms (i believe that’s what it is now) is just too fast considering you have to factor in the ping, and the human average reaction time is around 300 ms.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/stats.php

Also if you look at this; https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkCaqK9JaJDIdEo3NDJKWkk5SVhRY2tEYjBLSk1xbWc&usp=drive_web#gid=102

You can see the weapons with the shortest windup times are the daggers, with 0.15 windup times. But then you have to factor in that daggers can’t hit straight out of release like other weapons. So they have to travel quit a distance during their release which means people can see them and parry them accordingly. So there’s no excuse for anti-feint arguments. You just need to train your finger to not press RMB until after the feint window has passed.