When was a separate button for backswing introduced?

• When was a separate button for backswing introduced?
    I remember that originally you had to swing from the right to be able to then back swing from the left.

I notice their is a button now that allows you to start a swing from the left.
    This sort of thing makes me want to give the game another go.

When was the separate back swing introduced?

• january 2013 – about 15 months ago

I’m assuming you’re talking about alternate swings.

• Thanks. The alternate swings?
    I am just talking about being able to prepare a swing from the left without having to start with a right hand swing.

• lol… its stuff like this that makes me fear for my generation…

• @Terminally:

lol… its stuff like this that makes me fear for my generation…

How so. I am just trying to get the facts straight before I dip in.
    Games tend to have their own way of saying things. Alternate could mean anything.

I have been playing WOTR and Mechwarrior Online and have not touched this game in a very long time. I think I have played it for less than an hour. That was when it had just been released in october 2012.

I think the last time I looked for a few seconds the back swing still did not start from a neutral position but showed the right swing first just at the bottom of the screen. Fair enough really if you are using a shield.

• You obviously haven’t given the game a chance. Played for under an hour and you don’t even know basic mechanics like an alt swing? Fair enough but maybe you should just stick to wotr. It’s a nice simple game for nice simple people.

• @Oy:

You obviously haven’t given the game a chance. Played for under an hour and you don’t even know basic mechanics like an alt swing? Fair enough but maybe you should just stick to wotr. It’s a nice simple game for nice simple people.

lulz

/10chars

• There are a lot of people who are judging me right now for asking a simple question.
    A lot of people who need to realise that I am asking so I can know and GIVE THE GAME ANOTHER CHANCE.
    If you read you would have understood that I have not played the game since the independent back swing was introduced and recently found out about it. This means that your basic mechanic is something I have never played with and have not had a chance to know about.

Instead I am getting a lot of people saying I have not given it a chance?
    I am trying right now to gather info about the left hand swing mechanic so I can consider whether to give it another chance.

Very judgemental people here. OY do you have a constructive reply? Apart from the first reply I feel like I am just feeding the trolls atm.

The ALT swing may have been in game from the beginning. But I am asking about independent left swing. If they are the same thing then fine let me know.

• They are the same thing.
    By default you can perform this move by holding down the Alt (keyboard) key and pressing your usual attack. There are alternate overheads as well as horizontal swings, though obviously the horizontal alt is far more noticeable in its differences. The default key configuration also places the alternate horizontal/overhead swings on mouse 4/5 (thumb buttons) if they exist, so they are very easy to access.

• OK cool. Thats great. I can now use the alternate key to do a left swing starting from the left with no delay while a right swing plays out. Part of why I asked was a mate was wanting me to play chivalry and said that the ALT left swing was always in game from BETA while I remembered that you had to first swing with the right before following up with a left.

Now that War of the Vikings seems to be a dumbed down WOTR and WOTR is going to be a while updating again. I was thinking I just might give Chivalry another go especially if things like left swing have been fixed. Which it seems like it has.

So thanks Dudeface. I appreciate the constructive response :)

Other questions on things that may have changed:

• Can fists still beat a person in full armour to death?
    • Can I now target un-armour points for weak spots? Such as an open visor?
    • Is there a historical mode that puts the correct armour for a period in play and restricts the rest?
    • Any option to remove all the ahistorical or barely historical weapons? Basically I would love a historical mode.
      At the moment its kind of like playing skyrim. Weapons and armour junked together from all periods.
    • Does chivalry have a population now that “deadliest warrior” expansion is out?
    • Do limbs fall off less frequently as they would in real life?
    • Has archery been improved?
    • Is there a way to do less over stretched swings and more conservative ones by moving ones torso for shorted swings?
    • Is there a way now to choose more colours to make the factions seem less like football teams and more like medieval knights with all of there heraldry?

I appreciate any responses and am looking forward to trying this game on for size with a little more serious an attitude.

P.S. Just had another go and it does grow on you.

YES

Headshot = most damage
      bodyshot = normal damage
      legshot = least damage

• Is there a historical mode that puts the correct armour for a period in play and restricts the rest?
      No.

• Does chivalry have a population now that “deadliest warrior” expansion is out?
      Yes.

Limbs do not fall off in this game. Play black knight mod.

This doesn’t really make sense. Archery is fine.

• Is there a way to do less over stretched swings and more conservative ones by moving ones torso for shorted swings?
      That is the point of real time swing control. AKA dragging. You may manipulate your attacks mid swing.

• Is there a way now to choose more colours to make the factions seem less like football teams and more like medieval knights with all of there heraldry?
      yes, the customization menu.

• @FartTender:

Limbs do not fall off in this game. Play black knight mod.

What game are you playing? Limbs get cut off often when killed.

• Sweet thx farttender. Answered most of my questions.
    I saw a lot of arms especially come off in the short game I played. Something very rare especially through armour.
    But it’s good to hear that there are some damage points to aim for.

The archery thing is a more a comment on what Total Biscuit revealed in his review of chivalry

• @FartTender:

This doesn’t really make sense. Archery is fine.

The heck are you on about? fine? Archers are too strong and needs a nerf. period.

• inb4 thread becomes archer discussion.

• Jeez some of you folks are nice and welcoming to new players, can’t understand what turns people off.

Yes, fists do not change their damage output based on your armour as you may wonder. (It makes sense for plated knight fists to hurt more but alas they don’t.)

Chiv isn’t as advanced as WotR in this regard, though it seems buggy as best over there. High damage for head shots, low for feet, middle between those.

No, though I’m not sure how incorrect some weapons are. I get the Double Axe would never be used in a real fight though.

• Any option to remove all the ahistorical or barely historical weapons? Basically I would love a historical mode.
      At the moment its kind of like playing skyrim. Weapons and armour junked together from all periods.
      Nope.

Yes, healthily so.

No, limbs can fall off with any killing blow that strikes them in an area with an attack and weapon that can dismember. Cutting blows like swords and axes being swung can sever arms and heads, though blunt damage delivered to the face will crush the head.

Archery is a big debate but it feels strong as of so far.

In a way. You can attack faster off of a parry, which reduces on the swinging time, though not on the release time. It’s faster but it’s not exactly what you’re thinking of.

No, sadly. Masons can never have blue, and vice versa for the Agatha and red. It does pain me to say but it makes sense, as people just really struggle with anything even remotely individual, and always seem to assume they are an enemy.

I realise you got a good few answers to these already but I felt like doing this as some people are unnecessarily jerkish for asking a standard question.

• @Xylvion:

The heck are you on about? fine? Archers are too strong and needs a nerf. period.

Archers will always be “too strong” vs an individual with no projectiles, because that is exactly the point

• Hey don’t knock WOT, that is a tough game, you have to be ‘‘elite’’ to even have a 55% win rate.

• @chivalryinterested:

Hey don’t knock WOT, that is a tough game, you have to be ‘‘elite’’ to even have a 55% win rate.

Turns into pay to play is the problem.