Cosmetic dlc or Skill/Achievement based unlockables

• This seems to be a subject that’s being debated right now.

Basically which do you prefer, Rank/Skill/Achievement based unlockables or the current style of cosmetic skins that anyone can buy. Please don’t consider the money side of this as we can do a poll later about if the winner from this poll should be paid for or free.

Unlockables could be for:

• rank 45, rank 55 etc.
    • Getting good k/d ratio in TO
    • Getting big kill streaks for example silver, black, gold and pink items for getting 30/40/50/60 kill streaks in a round.
    • Tournament wins.
    • Other ideas could also be implemented.

• Quoting this from a thread I made a while ago:

"There could be helmets unlockable for tasks as simple as completing the tutorial.
    Survive as the king for the full remainder of a round.
    Get 1st place in a 32+ FFA match with at least 25 kills more than the one who got 2nd place.
    Get 5 kills in a row after drinking mead.
    Burn every section yourself in Battlegrounds.
    Obtain an incredible kd ratio in a crowded Duel match.
    Reach 1 hp around 5 times in 1 match without dying."

But no, no matter how cool they are, I won’t pay for them.
    Seems awfully consistent with surveys.
    “Great! You won! Now if you would just enter your credit card number …”

• Yeah it was too complicated adding payment or free options for both so I simplified the poll for now to see which people prefer, please vote without considering the money side. I just want to see which cosmetic items people would prefer for now.

Thanks for your extra achievements that could be used ^

• I would like to see more rank unlockables.
    Also, special weapon skins for 5k/10k kills. Doesn’t have to be a new model, just a fancier texture or something.

• please not to much stuff for which you’d need e.g. 40 kills without dead… there are just to many players (including me) who wouldn’t be able to do it until after judgement day^^ and for the poll: i’d like both… as long as the requirements for the Achievement/Skill based unlockables aren’t to “ridicioulus” high so that only the “upper 10.000” Players could get them while anybody who just isn’t that good are screwed…

• @Großadmiral:

please not to much stuff for which you’d need e.g. 40 kills without dead… there are just to many players (including me) who wouldn’t be able to do it until after judgement day^^ and for the poll: i’d like both… as long as the requirements for the Achievement/Skill based unlockables aren’t to “ridicioulus” high so that only the “upper 10.000” Players could get them while anybody who just isn’t that good are screwed…

Why not have SOME unlockables that are very hard to get, that’s the whole point, a sense of achievement if you get them, there could still be easier unlocks to get as well.

Also it could be made so its 30/40/50 or 60 kills higher than your death count to make it easier. For example a K/D ratio of 37/7 would be enough to unlock the lowest item.

• Also it could be made so its 30/40/50 or 60 kills higher than your death count to make it easier. For example a K/D ratio of 37/7 would be enough to unlock the lowest item.

i am already lucky if my death count isn’t twice as high as my kill count… i don’t know if you are just so spaced out because you are “just so good” or just joking… but something like that for the lowest item is, in my opinion like making everything you can unlock in a game and every of the cooler equipment unlockable only in the highest difficulty of the game which in this example would be 5 times as difficult as Dark Souls on the highest difficulty

• @Großadmiral:

i am already lucky if my death count isn’t twice as high as my kill count… i don’t know if you are just so spaced out because you are “just so good” or just joking… but something like that for the lowest item is, in my opinion like making everything you can unlock in a game and every of the cooler equipment unlockable only in the highest difficulty of the game which in this example would be 5 times as difficult as Dark Souls on the highest difficulty

It’s supposed to be really difficult to get them. That’s the idea. This way they actually MEAN something. If every filthy plebian could get them, they would mean nothing.

• @Großadmiral:

Nothing is more difficult than Dark Souls on highest difficulty.

But I think the OP is talking about some really tough-to-unlock cosmetics. I get that you might feel it’s a bit overkill for newer players like maybe yourself, but the whole point is to make unlocking them actually feel like you achieved something. This also packs the cosmetics with somewhat of a competitive feel.

And the reason, I’m guessing, why some people including myself dislike the paid DLC is because you didn’t do anything for it. The only thing it shows is that you had a few spare bucks, making you one of many people fitting the requirements. (no offense to those who bought them, the DLC weapons look really fitting)

Summary: I’d rather be too bad at this game to unlock a special helmet than unlock a helmet everyone already has with my eyes closed.

• @Flippy:

It’s supposed to be really difficult to get them. That’s the idea. This way they actually MEAN something. If every filthy plebian could get them, they would mean nothing.

so “Just screw all the others who aren’t as elitary as me!” there’s a difference between “Making it a challenge to get something” and “Making it so f’n difficult that only the top players get it…”

btw i aint that new… i’m atleast level 22^^ i started playing sometime last year… i don’t remember when exactly… soemtime in summer i guess… i always played on the server of a lets player (Sgt.Rumpel and before you say anything, a few high-ranking players would also play on it), which then was closed… after that at first i stopped playing… he than opened a DW Server so i bought dw but his server was nearly always empty and so i started playing on the official servers

• I don’t see why you should be rewarded for being bad. It’s sort of counter-intuitive. No offense, really. Just practice more.

• there is a differnece between “being bad” and just “Not good”

• btw i aint that new… i’m atleast level 22^^ i started playing sometime last year… i don’t remember when exactly… soemtime in summer i guess… i always played on the server of a lets player (Sgt.Rumpel and before you say anything, a few high-ranking players would also play on it), which then was closed… after that at first i stopped playing… he than opened a DW Server so i bought dw but his server was nearly always empty and so i started playing on the official servers

This is the cutest thing I think I’ve ever read.

• there is something that i’d call a “rewarding game” if you just started that game and sees (or asks somebody who unlocked the helmet of your dreams) what he has to do to get it and that is something like 30 more kills than deaths and there is nothing in between and this is the easiest thing you get… it’s just frustrating… i guess some people around just can’t undertand that anymore because they have reached a new level of existence… but if the first thing you can unlock (that isn’t level based) is something for which you have to play and train for Months instead of lets say weeks, i don’t think that new players would get to excited about that… they would only be frustrated witht thoughts like “i will never get this or that…” if there are unlockables inbetween and e.g. he gets another nice looking helmet it feels more like “The first step on a long staircase” rather than “standing on flat ground and have to climb the Mount Everest without any equipment just to get the first helmet”, so that it feels like “Yeah with some time i can reach it” instead of “It doesn’t matter how long i’d train i will never reach it”

and

This is the cutest thing I think I’ve ever read.

Twice the pride, double the fall
    -Count Dooku

i’d rather say you would like to get… we in Germany call it “Zucker in den Arsch blasen” which translates to “Blowing sugar into the butt” which e.g. means to prefer somebody so you just want something that you and your other high ranking colleagues can easily unlock by going to a public server when there are no other high ranking players and then just stomp all lower players but the newer players would have to work theire butts off just to get close to get it…

• The problem with things like a K/D based unlock is that it’s really easy to game. You can get on with a couple of your friends and bang that achievement out in 10 minutes.

You can still game a pure kill-count system but it’s far more time consuming.

So rewards that result from incremental progress are good… harder to circumvent, easier for people of all skill levels to attain (albeit at different rates).

• Well there could be lower achievement items to unlock as well, but I still think their should be a good range right upto crazy difficult unlockables, so that players always have something to strive for.

By the way, I’m not being elitist, I definately don’t consider myself pro, I doubt I could get much more than a 30 kill streak right now anyways (at my current skill level) but this doesn’t stop me wanting unlockables for better players or for me when I improve.

• Fix the bugs, sort out the weapon balance and leave the game alone. New skins, textures, classes whatever in Chivalry 2 plz.

• @Toll:

Fix the bugs, sort out the weapon balance and leave the game alone. New skins, textures, classes whatever in Chivalry 2 plz.

Artists make skins they don’t fix bugs, although unlockables would perhaps need some coding.

• @Toll:

Fix the bugs, sort out the weapon balance and leave the game alone. New skins, textures, classes whatever in Chivalry 2 plz.

New content like that would affect all that stuff at all. Why be so against it?

• might i make an example how i could imagine the unlockable Skins?
    Kills:
    get 10 kills in one Game
    get 20 kills in one Game
    get 30 kills in one Game
    get 40 kills in one Game
    –-
    Kills compared to deaths (sounds stupid i know)
    get 10 more kills than deaths
    get 25 more kills than deaths
    get 35 more kills than deaths
    get 45 more kills than deaths

K/D-Ratio
    get a K/D-Ratio better then 1.5 and so on

LOOSER!
    (shouldn’t be equipment you can be proud of, completely Rust encrusted chain mail and stuff for the knight e.g.)
    the opposite of the stuff above^^

and maybe class specific stuff like:
    Goliath, this is David:
    during a duell kill a knight with the sling only
    (special stuff for the archer unlocked)
    Upset Victory:
    during a duell defeat an enemy that is atleast 10 levels above you

“Meisterbrief vom Langen Schwert” (Master letter of the long sword whcih was awarded to “Doppelsöldner” because they mastered the Zweihänder)
    kill atleast 15 Enemies with the Zweihänder in one game (maybe with multiple stages, bronce, silver and gold e.g. with 15 is bronce)
    -new skin(s) for the Zweihänder

Jack of all Trades
    get a kill with one weapon of every weapon tree and with each class in one Game

Of Men and Mice
    as a knight kill an archer during a duell
    new skin/helmet/whatever for the knight

just an idea