Team Killing Solution

• I’ve posted much is this as a reply in other post but… why not handle team damage in a way like War of the Roses? Any damage that hits an ally is dealt to you only. Aka if I’m not careful with my swings I can kill myself by hitting allies. This keeps a penalty in the game for swinging (or shooting/throwing) randomly but prevents abuse to others. This was made extremely relevant in two situations that I have been a part of.

Any solution that still applies damage to team members will be abused to kill team members so scrap it and make it strictly a personal penalty avoided by precision and experience.

P.S. I’m not currently in the Beta, I’m just offering a suggestion based off of posts I’ve seen on these forums. Feel free to send me a key though!

• @Tsion:

I’ve posted much is this as a reply in other post but… why not handle team damage in a way like War of the Roses? Any damage that hits an ally is dealt to you only. Aka if I’m not careful with my swings I can kill myself by hitting allies. This keeps a penalty in the game for swinging (or shooting/throwing) randomly but prevents abuse to others. This was made extremely relevant in two situations that I have been a part of.

Any solution that still applies damage to team members will be abused to kill team members so scrap it and make it strictly a personal penalty avoided by precision and experience.

P.S. I’m not currently in the Beta, I’m just offering a suggestion based off of posts I’ve seen on these forums. Feel free to send me a key though!

Don’t remember who it was, but I remember a jolly ol’ chap from a time ago who was explaining how team killing should work, and I think it was a jolly good solution. Instead of doing any damage to anyone, your attacks will simply bounce off of teammates and cost stamina.

• That would penalize the accidental kills that players sometimes get (you know you do that sometimes too).

Referring to my thread : viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3073
    It would be a lot wiser to just implement the good ol’ punish/forgive system. At least, even in terms of flawed solutions, this one promotes a better honor system. Instead of having the option of “punish” constantly, the player who was killed can have the option of forgiving and punishing the player. Obviously some people will always punish, but it will get old after a while.

It is a flawed plan for a better solution. In my opinion.

• Reflective team damage is stupid. It killed Warband multiplayer.

• The best solution is to not deal any damage at all to teammates; if we have reflective damage, then trolls will purposefully get in the way of your attacks and kill you that way.

• It’s fine as is - after the game is released some servers will roll out with no damage and then people will be satisfied. Really, I think it’s being over-analysed here.

• @The:

It’s fine as is - after the game is released some servers will roll out with no damage and then people will be satisfied. Really, I think it’s being over-analysed here.

That would destroy the game. It will promote no skill and nothing good can come out of that…

There just needs to be a solution to penalize players without it being too radical or without taking away that feature.

• @falconfetus8:

The best solution is to not deal any damage at all to teammates; if we have reflective damage, then trolls will purposefully get in the way of your attacks and kill you that way.

The only way to do that is to place themselves between you and an enemy, which would cause them to get cut down.

Both options have their benefits and drawbacks. Reflective would end intentional TK’ing, but archers would have more of an incentive to shoot in a crowd, because they can safely heal away from the battle. Siege weapon balance could break as well, because trading your life for a cluster of the enemies would be worth it.

Might be useful to have a server option for friendly damage (default, none, reflective). I prefer the default.

• @SapientWolf:

Might be useful to have a server option for friendly damage (default, none, reflective). I prefer the default.

There’s something I could back.

• @obnoxious:

There just needs to be a solution to penalize players without it being too radical or without taking away that feature.

You’re not going to get one that suits everybody, though, and I think self-damage isn’t the way forwards, personally. It’s a frantic game - sometimes team damage happens and it just needs to be accepted. It’s the sledgehammer approach to team killers.

Not sure why some servers having no team damage would kill the game - people have a choice whether to use said servers or not, and the biggest skill is surely combating with your enemy, not whether you can avoid hurting your team. Eh.

• Or how bout just reduce the damage done to allies by 50%? So you still hurt them, just not as much. On Tuesday I will have a better opinion. I just heard of this game a few days ago and can’t wait to play it!

• @Chuckdatass:

Or how bout just reduce the damage done to allies by 50%? So you still hurt them, just not as much. On Tuesday I will have a better opinion. I just heard of this game a few days ago and can’t wait to play it!

That is currently the case and is doing fine in public environments actually. We are planning to turn it up to 100% damage by the time we get our clan server though.

• I’ve been for a reflective FF option for a long time. I think it would help new players learn without frustrating their teammates and getting them yelled at. Even if it’s just 50% damage like the current FF, you’d learn pretty quick not to hit teammates. The fact of the matter is people are pretty inconsiderate in games - they might have some minor regret when they hit someone on their team, but it won’t be enough to stop them from being careless in the future. If they hurt themselves every time they hit a teammate, though, it directly impacts their own enjoyment of the game rather than their teammates’ - they’ll learn a lot faster that way.

• Have team damage be dampened the further away you are from enemies, up to 90%. This would prevent team killing at the spawn and the like.

• @knightofwar:

Have team damage be dampened the further away you are from enemies, up to 90%. This would prevent team killing at the spawn and the like.

I really like this idea and it’s something I don’t really see any major faults in implementing. If a strike (or an arrow) lands on a teammate that is near an enemy. Then deal the damage… if there is no enemy in the vicinity… then don’t deal any damage.
    It’s not realistic but I don’t see any logical reason (other than to be a dick) why anyone would accidently hit a teammate that is nowhere near an enemy.

• @knightofwar:

Have team damage be dampened the further away you are from enemies, up to 90%. This would prevent team killing at the spawn and the like.

+1