Fortification Contest - Seaborn - Final Contest Entry Version

• **Seaborn
    **_Final Contest Entry Version

_
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=278701152

Fortification Map Contest Entry - Seaborn

=================

The Agatha fleet presides in a secluded harbour overlooked by a little known but beautifully preserved ancient city built into the rocks that surround it. The Mason order have been tipped off that for the last few months King Argon’s flagship - the likes of which has never sailed the seven seas - is also at rest here, watched over by the looming cliffs and turrets that have protected the secrets of powerful men since before the recording of time. With this new found information, the Mason Order have concocted a plan that will allow them to commandeer this beast of the ocean, whilst also doing untold damage to the Agatha fleet and port.

Unless they are stopped.
    Forcibly.

-Objective 1-
    The Mason Order must navigate their way through a network of Sea Caves, bringing with them a cart full of explosives to wreak untold Havoc in the nearby Agatha Controlled Port and City.

-Objective 2-
    Once the Mason Forces are free of the caves, they are confronted by the Elite Gaurd of the city, stronger than the average warrior, trained with a wider variety of weapons, and faster too. The Elite Gaurd are limited in number, and must all be defeated before the Mason order are free to progress further into the city.

-Objective 3-
    If the Mason order successfully dispatch the elite gaurd, then they are free to move down into the storehouses, armouries and inns that make up the lowest tier of the city. Here they must slaughter the local townspeople, and attempt to raise to the ground 3 key structures, as well as the battleships currently moored in the harbour, which they they can sink with either torches, or a ballista normally used in the defence of the city.

-Objective 4-
    Once the port has been successfully sacked, the Mason Order board King Argon’s flagship, and must attempt to sail it down a narrow ravine pass, whilst the Agathian’s, in their desperation to recapture the crowning jewel of King Argons fleet, leap onto the boat from both sides of the ravine, with little regard for their own safety. The Mason order have the ability to capture 2 bridges at strategic points along the river, which will allow them to move their forces forwards, in an attempt to keep up with the ship that is making it’s way downstream. Should the Mason order manage to maintain a majority on the ship, it will keep moving. The Agathian’s have access to Ballista all along the ravine, which they can use to defend the bridges, and to snipe Mason warriors on the King Argon’s ship.

-Objective 5-
    If the Mason order successfully traverse the ravine, they are presented with their final obstacle, a great sea gate, and two great cranks that must be turned in order to open it. Here, a last ditch defence is put up by the Agathian’s, but it may be too little too late.

=================

-Unique Features/Moments-

-New Cave and Ship models
    -New sound effects
    -Custom Soundtrack
    -Large portion of battle takes place on moving ship

=================

Seaborn is a level constructed by 4 students of the Computer Animation course at Bournemouth University. It was an ambitious undertaking and we are incredibly proud of what we managed to achieve in a relativly short space of time. For all but one member of the team, this was the first level we have ever created, though it definately wont be our last!

Level Design and Environment Art - George ‘CupMcCakers’ Hulm
    Scripting and Animaton - Jonathan ‘Cimmerick’ Flynn
    Environment Art and Modelling - Finn ‘Tropical Goth’ Connolly
    Modelling - Michael ‘Carn’ Newborn

=================

Maps included:
    AOCTO-Seaborn_p.udk
    AOCTO-Seaborn_game
    AOCTO-Seaborn_art
    AOCTO-Seaborn_col

• This sounds like a megaproject!

• Astonishing!

• All sounds great looking forward to playing in the future.

• yeah sounds amazing - cant wait to see bits of map

• Looking forward to seeing this one :)

• Thanks for the words of encouragement guys!

So, after numerous iterations we have settled upon a 2D layout that we feel is strong enough to take into the UDK and begin work upon. Feedback is naturally very welcome, so if you have any ideas, suggestions or criticisms feel free to take aim!

• This map looks really cool. Good luck! Remember that 2 months will go by a lot faster than you think so get a lot done early. Things will pop up that you don’t expect to take a lot of time but they do.

• Great concepts/artworks

• Thanks guys, thanks for the advice!

Here are some very eary WIP shots of the flagship model we are working on!

And here is a shot of the water shader that we will be basing ours off of. This is a shader that I made for another project, we will customise it to suit the theme of this level better.

• Nice!!! the concept art blows me away!

• I’m glad you like it, I’ll pass the message along :) We’ve got some more in the works as well!

• Here’s are a couple of early shots of what we are working on. All of our assignments are over now, so the real work has begun! Keep watching this space :gorilla: We should have a version of the Workshop by Friday!

• A server will be up with nightly playtests by the end of the week! Let me know if you want to get involved! I’ll PM you and add you to the facebook group where said playtests will be organised! :D

Any thoughts on the layout are more than welcome!

• Here are some more WIP shots :)

This is the last section of the level, and is also the area that we are planning to turn into a deathmatch arena

Here’s a view back at the city from the river escape section
    and here is the start of the river section

• I’m pretty sure this is gonna be awesome

• Thanks AfiNity! We certainly hope it will live up to your expectations! here’s a WIP piece of concept art for ya’ll! :D

• Mast need to be higher and maybe ships longer

• Thanks @Bardaf! It is funny you should say that, as we have just made changes to that effect today! We have also begun texture work on the ship and the caves have been implemented in a very basic form! :D If you have any other suggestions or criticisms, please, let us know :)

Here is the first 3D draft of the caves! don’t worry, they will be MUCH prettier. How does the space look in regards to gameplay?

and here is some concept art for the caves to help visualise what they are going to look like

Again, we are at your mercy, slaughter us with criticism! Alongside the official rotation, we are also going to host a server where people will be able to playtest the map! If you want to get involved, let us know and we will put you in the loop!

Regards,
    George

• Wow is that open sea picture a real time reflection sea or a cube map setup???

I had to revert my real reflevtion one it hogged soooo much fps