Chasing

• Well imho the Maa complainers started to appear when it was removed, you could no longer reliably get in their face anymore if they backpedaled forever.

• @zombojoe:

Well imho the Maa complainers started to appear when it was removed, you could no longer reliably get in their face anymore if they backpedaled forever.

Exactly, it is almost pointless for a Knight to even try to chase down an Archer or Man at-arms, Chase bonus was something that was intended to prevent people running off like they could in Age of Chivalry, if a Maa wanted to run, you have no way to catch them.

Though I think it is rather silly that the chase activates instantly, if there was something that just made the chase speed slowly accelerate to max speed rather than happening instantly, that would be nice.

BUT! there is one down-side about this, adding the chase to every part of the body will increase weapon range, incase if you already hated that Broadsword stab leap, you’ll hate it even more because

Movement speed + Reach + Release + Leap = Max range of a weapon

• I like the idea of adding front chase only when doing a war cry though.

• @Dr:

I like the idea of adding front chase only when doing a war cry though.

Agreed. Only issue is sorting out how to stop it from being used in conjunction with the vanguard charge. I do not want to have to deal with that supercharge shit again.

• @zombojoe:

Well imho the Maa complainers started to appear when it was removed, you could no longer reliably get in their face anymore if they backpedaled forever.

MaA complainers started to appear when the game was released. Maybe before. That said, as a person who mained MaA when forward chase was still around, I loooooved forward chase.

• @gregcau:

Chase mode is for reason and that reason is not to create acceleration when facing someone, it just exasperates face hugging.

Solution: Chase speed applies from all angles but only when more than 5 meters away from opponent. Since it’s, you know, a chase mechanic, not a “look at him and run faster” mechanic.

• chasing is fine, we really dont need knights chasing maas like its nothing

• @Daiyuki:

Solution: Chase speed applies from all angles but only when more than 5 meters away from opponent. Since it’s, you know, a chase mechanic, not a “look at him and run faster” mechanic.

I would be fine with something like that.

• @CRUSHED:

chasing is fine, we really dont need knights chasing maas like its nothing

Chasing is broken at the moment. And the alternative is maas running away like it’s nothing, which is worse.

@Daiyuki:

So you run after someone, get to within five meters… they turn to run and… you stay five meters away until they decide to stop? This sounds bad. I like the idea of stopping face hugging, but it should be 1 meter. Strike range. Unless the chase were to wear off slowly enough for you to cover that last 5 meters before expiring. But then you still have a problem of waiting for someone to get five meters away before chasing… otherwise you won’t get the bonus.

• its not broken, its working fine for me

• @CRUSHED:

its not broken, its working fine for me

It randomly stops for some periods of time and takes quite a few seconds to start again.

• @CRUSHED:

What class are you playing, and how is it working?

• Mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J66_HwlnQMo&feature=youtu.be

It clearly doesn’t work very consistently.

• @McLumberjack:

Chasing is broken at the moment. And the alternative is maas running away like it’s nothing, which is worse.

So you run after someone, get to within five meters… they turn to run and… you stay five meters away until they decide to stop? This sounds bad. I like the idea of stopping face hugging, but it should be 1 meter. Strike range. Unless the chase were to wear off slowly enough for you to cover that last 5 meters before expiring. But then you still have a problem of waiting for someone to get five meters away before chasing… otherwise you won’t get the bonus.

I see what you’re saying, but since all movement speed changes are gradual in Chivalry (with continued input), I think it would work ok. An ideal solution would be to have the bonus always apply when looking at the back, but have a range cutoff when at any other angle, but I don’t trust TBS to implement anything beyond very simple concepts.

A compromise would be 2-3 meters, yes, because the point of having the cutoff is so that you cannot swing at close range while benefiting from the speed because that contributes to reduced blocking effectiveness.

• I’m liking the chase distance cutoff idea and the battlecry activated frontal chase idea. Do it TBS!

• @CRUSHED:

Same for me, not sure why people keep talking about it when it’s working fine.

• Like I asked crush, what class are you playing, and define working.

• @McLumberjack:

Like I asked crush, what class are you playing, and define working.

I play every class. Working = I can catch up to people.

• Being able to catch a person isn’t proof of chase working. Most don’t run in a straight line. If you can catch a determined MAA as a Knight or Van, and quickly, without running 200 yards I’d be surprised, and ask you what is right with your game files that is wrong with mine. Watch this video from the last page. That is chase as it stands for most people. Not working:

@Kim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J66_HwlnQMo&feature=youtu.be

It clearly doesn’t work very consistently.

• Mod

@McLumberjack:

Being able to catch a person isn’t proof of chase working. Most don’t run in a straight line.

Especially annoying since moving your crosshair off of them for a split second makes you completely lose all your speed, then once it’s back on them it’ll take a good 4-5 seconds before it kicks back in.