List of things to go over in tuts.

• This is what I have so far as a list (in no particular order)

Let me know what I may be missing:

–—

• Windup, Release, Recovery >> explains each of these states and their limitations, as well as what happens when you get hit by a melee weapon during these states.

• All About Combos >> explains what a combo is and how to execute one, as well as the limitations of certain combos. Also talks about combo-parry.

• All About Stamina >> goes into detail about stamina costs for various actions and what happens when you are low and/or out of stamina

• Torso Mechanics >> goes into detail about how the torso moves as you look around. Explains how that is used for ducking and matrixing and other ways to avoid hits and/or head hits, or delay being flinched until your release.

• More on Attacking and Blocking >> goes into detail about the parry box and basic ways to bypass parries and blocks. Also touches on how far you have to turn to defend a very close proximity attack. Talks about Parry into Parry.

• The Riposte >> explains how to perform and the details of it. Also explains the difference between using and not using a shield.

• Feint Mechanics >> explains how to feint and what the feint window is.

• Flinch Mechanics >> goes into details about the flinch state. Also touches on the “flinch” state when you hit an obstacle with your weapon.

• Feint to Parry >> explains a useful tactic that many may not think of using early on and explains a way to set up a bind for FtP. (Also CFtP).

• Initiative and the “Locked” state >> explains a basic idea of what initiative is and what a locked state is (think parry lock).

• All About Kicks >> explains the difference between the two kicks and their uses.

• Dragging and Accelerating >> explains the real-time swing mechanic.

• Turn Speed >> explains about turn speeds on different weapons. Also explains about turn speed reduction as you change directions during an attack.

• The Z-Stab >> goes into detail on how to perform a basic Z-stab

• The Rainbow Slash >> goes into detail on how to perform a rainbow slash. (Can we call this an Arc-Slash… please?)

• The Reverse Overhead >> goes into detail on how to perform a reverse overhead.

• All About Projectiles >> goes into detail about each type of projectiles.

• All About Dodge >> goes into details about dodging.

The following would be videos that I am unsure if they should go in a series about combat mechanics… they seem more pro-tip type vids, yes? Will still do the videos of course, but don’t think they will be a part of the series.

• Fighting Alongside a Team >> Tips about how to fight effectively with a team instead of LMB mashing and vanguard charging into a group of 4 teammates that are killing 1 enemy.

• Spacing and Footwork >> Explains the importance of good spacing and footwork.

• Alternative Fakeouts >> goes over various alternative ways to feign attacks or feign directions of attacks.

• Blunt, Pierce, and Chop >> Explains the advantages of certain weapons against classes.

A series just for Catapult spots and timings

A series just for Mindgames >> this one I want to tackle sometime, because it seems like a very difficult concept to put into a clear definition. A very abstract concept, but the simplicity of this game feels like it allows a great way to demonstrate such concepts.

• Absolutely spectacular list. Can’t wait to watch the videos myself. Just one thing I noticed.

• The Reverse Overhead >> goes into detail on how to perform a reverse overhead.

Remember, you can also use reverse slashes, reverse stabs, use reverses in combos, target switching with reverses, etc. I don’t mean to toot my own horn here, but myself and Spook are the only people in NA who consistently make use of reverses in actual scrims and not just duels. We’ve both been using them for quite a while and know exactly how to use them. If you want to talk about reverses, I would recommend spectating me and Spook while we scrim and record that to use in your videos. It would probably be the best way to demonstrate their use since a lot of players use reverses as just a gimmick.

Again, I don’t mean to toot my own horn here. But these videos could be really kickass and since Spook and I specialize in reverses, I figure we could contribute to that section of the video.

• Shields? Moreso on attacking i guess with a shield, and dropping guard against kicks, how to prepare for incoming projectiles, how to aim the shield, etc.

/10char

• This post is deleted!

• Like a general shield tactics? Would that go in a pro-tip general video?

In the riposte and initiative video I would go over some shield mechanics.

Unless you mean the different shields in general. Like the difference between buckler and heater, etc.

@Flippy

I thought reverse stabs could only be done with spears.

Also I don’t consider horizontals to fall in that category. That would be more along the lines of an accelerated horizontal. SiN started to use that with the poleaxe extensively after he learned how strong the horizontal was on that weapon.

• reverse slashes are a thing for sure, just have to look up a bit but they can certainly be considered backswing hitters.

• You don’t even have to look up with 1h LS. All you need to do is turn around and slash, that thing is so long it hits behind you at the start. Works especially well with combos, stab -> reverse slash hits more often than not.

• I thought reverse stabs could only be done with spears.

Still worth mentioning since they do exist. You can also do them on Halberd and Billhook.

Also I don’t consider horizontals to fall in that category. That would be more along the lines of an accelerated horizontal.

Still a reversal. Just mentioning them couldn’t hurt. “I think that this move is just an accelerated slash, but it can also be considered a reversal.” or whatever.

• stamina managment (i.e. running away on low stam)
    knockback parrys
    backparrys
    backcounters
    delaying your attack to hit multiple people (i.e sow stab drag over 3 people)
    explain the different attacks in detail (safest attack aka swing but low dmg and slow, risky attack that can be sidestepped aka overhead but high dmg, safe attack and safe damage but no combo aka stab)

delaying flinch so you can get super fast combo hits in
    timing attacks in 2v1 instead of spamming
    target switching
    leanbacks, double parrys etc
    aggressive and defensive playstyles
    cftp ofc
    you should also explain how intimidation plays a huge role

• Teammates are not to be lmbd into 24/7.
    ^how could you forget that :L

• Everything in this thread sounds good in itself, but damn if the newbies won’t get confused with all these mechanics and terms and moves. It would be very hard to create a solid image of it all when the flood of information is so massive. The videos would likely be long as heck too if they went into all the details suggested here.

I’d simplify some of them so that the general mechanic behind the moves is explained but not all the moves themselves, e.g. explain how hitboxes and matrixing works but don’t list all the different types of dodging. Let the players experiment themselves, see the moves in action and get surprised by what other players do. As long as they know the mechanics behind these moves they won’t get frustrated when they lose to them, and can instead be in awe after seeing the extent the mechanics can be used to.

Also I created this crude mockup some time ago, let’s post it again then.

• @Flippy:

Absolutely spectacular list. Can’t wait to watch the videos myself. Just one thing I noticed.

Remember, you can also use reverse slashes, reverse stabs, use reverses in combos, target switching with reverses, etc. I don’t mean to toot my own horn here, but myself and Spook are the only people in NA who consistently make use of reverses in actual scrims and not just duels. We’ve both been using them for quite a while and know exactly how to use them. If you want to talk about reverses, I would recommend spectating me and Spook while we scrim and record that to use in your videos. It would probably be the best way to demonstrate their use since a lot of players use reverses as just a gimmick.

Again, I don’t mean to toot my own horn here. But these videos could be really kickass and since Spook and I specialize in reverses, I figure we could contribute to that section of the video.

Haha flipster, you did those dubaxe reverses on me quite a lot in our scrim yesterday. XD Hurts like a bitch, and it one shotted me 80% of the time. You’re definitely one of the best guys to talk to about that shit.

• I never finished, but here’s what I started with. Maybe it can give you some ideas, and you’re free to take anything.

Try to make it simple and concise, short if possible. Explain concepts in as few words or steps, or however you plan on conveyance. A lot of these concepts have the chance of being over explained, and daunting to a new player to say the least. Single sentences, short clips and good editing can go a long way if the work is put into each part.

http://youtu.be/MnoXHX8HTyY

Best of luck!

• @H:

I never finished, but here’s what I started with. Maybe it can give you some ideas, and you’re free to take anything.

Try to make it simple and concise, short if possible. Explain concepts in as few words or steps, or however you plan on conveyance. A lot of these concepts have the chance of being over explained, and daunting to a new player to say the least. Single sentences, short clips and good editing can go a long way if the work is put into each part.

http://youtu.be/MnoXHX8HTyY

Best of luck!

A bit off topic, but that’s what I hate about kicks. Your opponent is constantly throwing his foot and yet you’re the one running out of stamina and subsequently getting stunned.

• @Monsteri:

Everything in this thread sounds good in itself, but damn if the newbies won’t get confused with all these mechanics and terms and moves. It would be very hard to create a solid image of it all when the flood of information is so massive. The videos would likely be long as heck too if they went into all the details suggested here.

I’d simplify some of them so that the general mechanic behind the moves is explained but not all the moves themselves, e.g. explain how hitboxes and matrixing works but don’t list all the different types of dodging. Let the players experiment themselves, see the moves in action and get surprised by what other players do. As long as they know the mechanics behind these moves they won’t get frustrated when they lose to them, and can instead be in awe after seeing the extent the mechanics can be used to.

Also I created this crude mockup some time ago, let’s post it again then.

Great post Sir, I totally agree with you man. There are people that like the challange of discovering a move, so the tutorial shoudn’t kill that.

I think that the most important things are parry-riposte (aiming your parry, timing, shields), the fact that moving your mouse moves your torso (matrixing, ducking) and most important, swing manipulation (this I think will put an end to the “drag is an exploit” bullshit). Some bots with high skill parrying to pratice accelerated or delayed attacks, and some other bots with some dragging skills so the player can see how it looks like when he is recieving such attacks.

When I’m teatching someone, the thing they find most hard to pull out are drags. Accelerated ones are kinda easy, but delayed attacks are the trickiest ones, but I guess thats just a pratice/experience thing so no problems here. Give the noobs a zweihänder on the tutorial so they can see how delaying and accelerated attacks works. IMO, this is one of the best learning weapons because its kinda easy to pull out drags with it.

• This post is deleted!

• @J-P:

If you plan on making series of short videos I’d recommend either making a really short intro or no intro at all. I personally hate having to skip the intro every time I try to watch series of videos. Outro can be longer since either you’re gonna click the next video or stop watching anyways. Shit like this matters, don’t know how familiar you are with making videos.

I don’t really know the mechanics in depth or how you’re planning to do this but I guess you could make a video of the basics and expand from that and give more complex things their own videos.

Oh and you should probably give archers some kind of video too, doesn’t need to go in depth just basic stuff like not shooting when you’re more likely to hit a teammate or if your teammate already has the kill. I guess this could be integrated in the other videos but might get confusing since it’s a ranged class in a melee game.

5 second logo splash. 5-10 second intro for the video – “Hello and welcome to another Chivalry Combat Mechanics tutorial. In this video, we will be learning about insert subject here

Don’t worry, I’m very familiar with making videos. I do professional animation work (for ad studios and vfx, etc). I have yet to undergo an actual project related to video games and I would like to take the same care and slickness into a project like this. The one thing that I will enjoy about making these is having full control of the process, though limited with my current equipment (such as a decent voice recorder, and non-conflicting software so I can comp with lossless videos).

I am not worried about everything looking 100% perfect; this is the main issue of why I didn’t start making tutorials almost a year ago (that and I had a terrible rig to record at a decent frame-rate). One: I don’t have the patience for that since I have other things to worry about. Two: I doubt people will notice / care, as long as the information is conveyed concisely.

Right now I’m going slowly, since I have to juggle RL stuff as well. But I am setting up a framework for the series, and still working on some graphic elements for the demonstrations as well.

Maybe I SHOULD add in a video about stab, and overhead attacks as a basic video. Lots of players that come into the game skip the game tutorial and expect it to play like a FPS with left click only. I’m still unsure of whether it is needed or not, because those who are looking up tutorials would probably already know about stabs and overheads. Regardless, it would still probably be a good opportunity to explain the strengths and weaknesses of each type of attack.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Maybe I SHOULD add in a video about stab, and overhead attacks as a basic video. Lots of players that come into the game skip the game tutorial and expect it to play like a FPS with left click only. I’m still unsure of whether it is needed or not, because those who are looking up tutorials would probably already know about stabs and overheads. Regardless, it would still probably be a good opportunity to explain the strengths and weaknesses of each type of attack.

Yeah man, just a quick talk about the 5 attacks, to show that they exist. Then, you could talk about swing manipulation on each of theese attacks. Maybe you could link all this talk to momentum too, like when is the most oportune time for each of theese attacks.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Simply mentioning these attacks in any video should be enough of a hint to get a viewer to do more research, without putting those who know the basics off with boring material.

You should think about if you’re trying to target those who want to learn specific new techniques or those who simply want to learn more about the game, but don’t know what exactly they’re looking for. I think it’s possible to do both, but you have to be careful to get the pacing right.

In general I think the shorter and more focused the videos (or video sections) are, the better. That way it’s easy for people to skip over what they know and get to the stuff they want to learn, while also providing a completely new player all the info if they want it. For example, I don’t think rolling stuff like reverse overheads (in detail) into a video about general dragging is a good idea. It’s too much information for the newbie, and a more experienced player will get bored going over basic swing manipulation.

I’ve wanted to make SOME sort of video tutorials for a while now, but lacked the means to do it. Best of luck to you, though. :)

• Yeah it would definitely be good to sort this by degree of skill: basic mechanics, specialized techniques, advanced combat tactics, pro exploits.