Psyfon's Chivalry: Medieval Warfare SweetFX Graphics Enhancer Configuration!

• **4/25/2014 - Just a heads up, i now realize that both of these presets, and these screenshots, were taken with ‘Gamma 2.3’ in the console, where the default i believe is ‘Gamma 2’. My bad, i honestly had no idea. That being said, perhaps the fantasy config doesnt have as much of a brightness problem on arena and ruins as i thought initially, if you are on gamma 2 (the default gamma setting)

4/23/2014 - Added Competitive config with brightened shadows, reduced fog, and overall clarity improvements. Not just for competitive play, it looks pretty nice. (check below posts for screenshots)

This is perfectly safe and legal, i have played chivalry for over 1k hours (according to steam) and about half of that is using sweetfx on and off. I have not been banned yet, and i doubt you will either, as thousands and thousands of people use this on all kinds of games, like planetside 2 and battlefield, and despite whatever controversy there used to be about that, its now deemed safe by almost every game, and it wont get you banned. This is also not a virus, sweetfx is a graphics injector that has been around since the dawn of time (not really) but seriously, its been around for a while. The reason i have a different download for it than normal is because only special versions work on 64 bit, and this is one of them that works. This is the original page of the download http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604 so, don’t worry, this is 100% legitimate and accepted by VAC. Hopefully this clears up some things.

Hey there everybody. Ever feel like chivalry looks a bit washed out? Very foggy, and low quality looking in the distance? Feel the game could look a bit cleaner, with more lush and robust colors, with deeper and richer shadows?

Look no further than SweetFX. What is SweetFX, you might ask?

From the SweetFX website:

[color][font]SweetFX is a universal image improvement and tweaking mod,[/font][/color]
    [color][font]that works with almost any 32bit (and hopefully soon 64bit) DirectX 9, 10 or 11 game or application.[/font][/color]

[color][font]It's goal is provide similar tools to games in realtime, as video processing software provides for movies and videos.[/font][/color]

[color][font]It runs on all Windows versions from Windows 2000 and up. Both 32bit and 64bit.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]It works perfectly with all cards that can run DirectX9 games and support shader model 3\. (that's all cards since the Ati Radeon X1xxx and Nvidia Geforce 6xxx series)[/font][/color]
    [color][font]Some of the effects will even work on cards so old that they can only run shader model 2\. (Ati Radeon 9xxx to X8xx series and the GeForce FX 5xxx series)[/font][/color]
    [color][font]- there is a compability setting that enables support for these really old cards in /SweetFX/SweetFX_compatibility_settings.txt[/font][/color]

[color][font]Effects included:[/font][/color]

[color][font]* SMAA Anti-aliasing : Anti-aliases the image using the SMAA technique - see http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* FXAA Anti-aliasing : Anti-aliases the image using the FXAA technique - currently only work under DirectX9\. Use the d3d9.dll found in \SweetFX\dlls\FXAA DX9 dll\ for this.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Explosion : Scatters the pixels similarly to the Explosion filter in Irfanview[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Cartoon : Creates an outline-effect that makes the image look more cartoonish.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Advanced CRT : Mimics the look of an old arcade CRT display.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* LumaSharpen : Sharpens the image, making details easier to see[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Bloom : Makes strong lights bleed their light into their surroundings[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* HDR : Mimics an HDR tonemapped look[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Levels : Sets a new black and white point. A fast and easy way to increase contrast but it causes clipping. The Curves effect does this in a more subtle way without causing clipping.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Technicolor : Makes the image look like it was processed using a three-strip Technicolor process - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Cineon DPX : Makes the image look like it was converted from film to Cineon DPX. Can be used to create a "sunny" look.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Monochrome : Removes colors from the image so it appears as if shot on black and white film.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (and typically does it better then the Tonemap effect)[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves - without causing clipping.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Sepia : Sepia tones the image - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepia_tone#Sepia_toning[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting )[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dithering#Digital_photography_and_image_processing )[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Border : Makes the screenedge black as a workaround for the bright edge that forcing some AA modes sometimes causes.[/font][/color]
    [color][font]* Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.[/font][/color]

Okay, well thats great and all, but how do i use it? What are the effects? Well, out of the box, the effects are very slim and most people wouldn’t notice at all. But, i have a config file, that will make your game look better than ever before!

Introducing….well, a simple config file i’ve made on accident, that looks freaking amazing!

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d4J6TCdO2Y

Screenshots:
    Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

And so on and so on :) (More screenshots ––> http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/zdelves/library/?sort=9&page=1)

How to install:

FIRST STEP, IMPORTANT!!!

Disable any external Anti Aliasing, if any, applied to chivalry. This will interfere with SweetFX and give unpredictable results. However, Anisotropic Filtering is 100% compatible and i actually recommend that you force it through the Nvidia Control Panel (or whatever AMD has) on CMW.exe because it makes textures not become blurry messes past 4 feet ingame (google it if you want to learn more).

–--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Moving on…

Download THIS FILE HERE —> http://www.mediafire.com/download/55w1kcn99k4nths/Swfx_Injector_20130601.zip

Put everything thats inside the .zip you downloaded above (^^^^) into C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/chivalrymedievalwarfare/Binaries/Win64

OR (if you are on a 32 bit system and run the 32 bit version of the game)

C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/chivalrymedievalwarfare/Binaries/Win32

If you don’t have a Program Files(x86) folder, simply follow the same path through the Program Files folder (aka 32-bit windows users)

(!!VERY IMPORTANT, IF YOU DON’T FOLLOW THIS THE MOD WONT WORK!!) IF YOU RUN THE 64-BIT VERSION OF THE GAME AND HAVE 64-BIT WINDOWS: Open the SweetFX_x64 folder and copy the contents of it to your C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/chivalrymedievalwarfare/Binaries/Win64 directory, and click yes to overwrite all!

Now download my config below, put it in the same directory that you put the other files, and overwrite when asked!

Fantasy Config 1.0.0:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/kup93qhtnxthc8m/SweetFX_settings.txt

This is the config in the screenshots in this post. It looks great on most maps, but until i figure out a compromise, its best to just press Scroll Lock to turn the mod off when you play on ruins and arena, as the sand basically turns a very bright yellow/white and makes your eyes bleed in the dark :) other than that, looks great.

Competitive/CleanNsimple Config 1.0.0:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/qtenqlc5h4472or/SweetFX_settings.txt

This heavily reduces fog in the distance, and prevents colors from bleeding into eachother, as well as sharpening the overall look of the game, and tames down the graphics a little bit. It results in a very easy to look at game, suited for competitive play.
    –--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And…thats it! You should be golden! Press the Scroll Lock key to turn it on and off ingame.

All screenshots were taken with the absolute maximum settings, with some of them having light shafts enabled, and some disabled (i and most people play with them disabled because muh competitiveness)

Most FPS this has made me lose is 10, but that was only moor ctf in agatha spawn so far, for example agatha spawn in hillside 1st objective had me maxing the fps out at 90 no matter if it was on or off.

My specs are:

560ti 448 core 1268mb vram, clocked to 850MHz Core, 1700MHz Shader, and 2100MHz Memory

i5 3570k @3.8ghz

8gb 1666mhz DDR3 Ram

This isn’t really very straining to run, so long as you can at least run the game with medium-highish settings with a constant 60 fps or your system is semi decent and made within the last 6 years it should be able to handle this with minimal fps loss just fine. And if not, turn down some ingame settings, and leave this on! In my opinion, the vast improvement in color and shading, and crisper looking textures is a much better trade than certain ingame settings!

Optional Chivalry config tweak (recommended):

go to Documents/My Games/Chivalry Medieval Warfare/Config and open up UDKEngine.ini

press ctrl+F and type in bSmoothFrameRate, and change the two lines that show up from TRUE, to FALSE.

“bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE” is what the two lines it finds should look like.

This will enable your game to break past 60 fps, and go up to the engine maximum of 90 in multiplayer, and don’t believe the myths that say there is no reason to have an fps higher than your refresh rate - that is nonsense. It has a huge part in mouse movement and feel, and will overall make the game feel much more responsive, and buttery smooth too! Its basically a free performance boost. Do it, you won’t be dissapointed ;)

This is a WIP, as i just happened upon the settings accidentally tonight, and i was blown away by how fantastic they look. They still need a little bit of tweaking, most importantly sometimes things get extremely bright, i.e. agatha knight armor near the fires in hillside, i will be working on it over the coming days to improve this even more, and will create some kind of version system, and log. I hope you download and enjoy this mod, if people like this, i think that’s just awesome! I’d like to know any feedback, feedback is appreciated! I may make custom configs for people that want tweaks. Let me know, got any trouble installing, etc, i’m willing to help!

• L(・o・)」

Now if only I could run vanilla Chivalry stable enough.
    But I’ve tried tweaking my video settings and found out that the higher/more demanding I set them, the better my fps. -.-'
    So I’ll try this out when I get home from work.

• @Rickvs:

L(・o・)」

Now if only I could run vanilla Chivalry stable enough.
    But I’ve tried tweaking my video settings and found out that the higher/more demanding I set them, the better my fps. -.-'
    So I’ll try this out when I get home from work.

Easy fix for that, set your graphics card to always run in top performance in the nvidia control panel for cmw.exe, and disable any power saving settings in your windows control panel.

• Video almost uploaded!

EDIT: Video done, check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d4J6TCdO2Y&feature=youtu.be

• EDIT: Nevermind, please disregard my 'Murican intellect.

• Holy dick-butt the game looks incredible with this mod. TB please put this into an official update. I’m not seeing ANY fps drop and I don’t even have my 4770k overclocked. I’m sitting at the default 3.5GHz. There is a graphical issue on Moor though. I’ll try to record it and post it here later today.

• :D

And yeah, do record it. By any chance, is it the shadows acting wierd? With dynamic shadows on, any FOV above 127 makes shadows bug out on Moor, so thats why i play at 127 fov. Sometimes i’ll go up to 135 for mlg tower shield mode though.

I don’t think TB would be able to put this in officially though as its the property of Ceejay.dk originally, and this specific version made by Boulotaur2024, i just made the config file for it :)

• Working on a new version, never tested this on ruins and it looks like absolute sheit.

Also, i’m going to be making a competitive sweetfx, that makes the game look as clear as can be in the distance, with lighter shadows, and overall an easier picture to look at and process information. It also looks pretty nice.

EDIT 1: Competitive config is coming along VERY nicely. It actually still looks great, because things are highlighted with black outlines a little bit, giving the look of shadows, but shadows are lightened a pretty damn big amount, while still looking good, it also tones down the heavy amount of bloom the game has on max settings, to make everything look very crisp and clear. Heres a pic:

Before:

After:

The aim for this new config isnt to look super pretty, but clean up the visuals of the game to allow an optimized flow of information for competitive play, and also brighten the shadows.

Still working on the first config.

• I can’t wait for that competitive config. Looks incredible. Really good work man.

• Competitive config added to the first post. The screens i posted in the last one are representative of what you will be getting. I still havent come up with a good solution to the original config (Now called the Fantasy config). It looks AMAZING on most maps. But, on arena and ruins, it makes your eyes bleed. Best solution for now is to keep that Scroll Lock key handy and just play with it turned off for those maps :) I’m sure i will be able to find a solution that keeps the visuals but reduces the ultrabrightness that can happen sometimes. Hope you guys enjoy what ive got so far! I can take requests also. Want a black and white config, for example? thats doable. I’ve been thinking about making one that tries to give the colors of Dark Souls to chivalry.

• If anyone enjoys using the Fantasy Config and wants me to work on it to prevent the ultra-brightness that can happen sometimes, let me know. I can easily fix the ultra-brightness, but sadly it effects the way the whole thing looks. I’m sure there is a way to do it correctly though, i just need to snoop around some more.

I may also just make a less extreme config, that is just a simple improvement from the vanilla game but looks great on all maps.

Lemme know, feedback is appreciated.

• The less extreme config would be nice. Slightly increased saturation and better AA and we’d be golden.

• This looks pretty good any update on this or TB’s side of things?

• Developer

@Mr.Lion:

TB’s side of things?

The what now?

• You’re supposed to put this into an official update. Didn’t you get the memo?

• I find that it remove an aspect of snow maps.

• @dudeface:

You’re supposed to put this into an official update. Didn’t you get the memo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bchnLOT7ic

• Yeah i kinda gave up on this for a while as the ultrabright rocks on moor and blinding arena with the “fantasy” config was really hard to sort out (without changing the look of the config drastically), also because i had a phase where i played on all lowest settings, 120 fps 24/7, and didn’t even use any sweetfx, but i miss my shiny graphics so i may go back to work on this. Actually just went to this page to download it myself to play with it, may make some tweaks.

• Also, just to clear things up, TB has nothing to do with this sweetfx config, second i’m not sure if they would have legal right to include it, not from any issue on my part but because the guy that created the sweetfx .dll’s may have some kind of policy against that, and third, a lot of people may simply just not like the way it makes the game look, oh and fourth, i’m not 100% satisfied with it yet myself anyways :p

Not that i wouldn’t want them to officially add it in if they wanted to, i’m just stating why its unlikely :)

And, nice one Andrew, hehe

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.