Shields don't need a buff- they need more stamina cost.

• This may just be a recent impression, but from what I gather a lot of “hitting around shields” has been “fixed” to still count as blocked.
    Couple this together with a high stamina recharge rate and very low stamina drain from most weapons and even the most novice MAA turtles become highly mobile fortresses.

While I understand that there needs to be something to give the newbies a surviving chance for when they haven’t yet understood and mastered block timing, giving people basically near infinite, no-need-to-time everblocks seems overdone.
    I have been in dozens of situations lately where not just I, but a teammate as well have pummeled an MAA or knight shield with half a dozen hits and instead of getting an eventual stun, there just was another “clang”.

I am not sure how much this has been changed or buffed, but I know for certain it used to be possible to stun people if they turtled all too much. This has now completely gone away these last 2 months I have been playing more again, and its a real shame.

Since kicks only do anything useful to shields if they are actually “up”, that is no real help, either. I would much prefer it if at least that were changed somehow.

For example a strong kick into a passive shield still slightly staggers, and even a weak kick briefly opens up and stuns a shield that is “up” long enough for a 2 handed weapon to connect.
    Otherwise all that happens is you get 2% damage done, then the shield is back up before you can connect with something. And, this on top…standing kick reach is tiny(especially if you are pursuing an MAA which can run out of your range even when backtracking before your strong kick windup is over).

I know there are always SOME ways “around” shields still left, but I just don’t think near infinite free no-timing blocks are a great thing to have.
    If there’s something I am unaware of to quickly dispose of MAA shield turtles in a frontal attack, please let me know.

• you can feint shields if you mix it up with kick, hit them during the shield drop time
    if he’s dodge happy try and run him out of stamina with a combination of kicks and regular attacks, don’t get hit by regular swings- if he feints that’s less stamina for him especially if you’ve been hitting his shield or he’s been dodging

shields are fine imo, good enough tradeoffs offensively for a defensive boost- if they lower the shield drop time it’s going to give them an immense defense and offensive boost so that’d be silly

also if you need to there’s always the option of quick kick into switching targets

• you’d be surprised how quickly they run out of stam when being beaten down by 2-3 opponents. the shields are fine right now, but the only issue is the speed boost that they give weapons, that shit is bullcrap.

• The stamina drain was horrible before. Couldn’t even manage a 1v1 fight with a shield. I think it’s ok now.

• @SomeDudeOnAForum:

Couple this together with a high stamina recharge rate and very low stamina drain from most weapons and even the most novice MAA turtles become highly mobile fortresses.

lol/10chars

• Global Moderator

Q+F=Win!

Or even RMB+F

Make sure you hold F though. Works well against turtles. Not so well against people who know how to use shields.

• @lemonater47:

Q+F=Win!

Or even RMB+F

Make sure you hold F though. Works well against turtles. Not so well against people who know how to use shields.

Feint to kick will work well enough on most shield users, its the good ones you gotta worry about…

• You still kick them in the nuts and take a chunk of stamina. There has to be some reward for reading the kick properly and not doing the instinctive thing, which is to block. I’m always quite impressed when a shield guy will drop his block, stand there legs apart and scream ‘PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT’ while I plant a foot firmly in his nethers.*

*This may just happen in my mind.

• @McLumberjack:

You still kick them in the nuts and take a chunk of stamina. There has to be some reward for reading the kick properly and not doing the instinctive thing, which is to block. I’m always quite impressed when a shield guy will drop his block, stand there legs apart and scream ‘PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT’ while I plant a foot firmly in his nethers.*

*This may just happen in my mind.

I can’t imagine how painful that would be…

• Heh.

Thanks guys. Feinting into the kick I may have to try more often. Its just an incredibly short reach of the kick for the amount of distance you can create during the “kick windup”. Strong kick especially seems to take very long. And jump-kicking itself costs the kicker insane amounts of stamina, sadly.

Another problem usually is that it isn’t permaturtles, which are easily enough stun-kicked, but that special kind of noob that has a “raise shield, hit once randomly, raise again, but then also slash again randomly” kind of thing going.
    So half the time its just a 50/50 gamble of walking into a slash, because they disregard attacks/feints etc.
    Bit like playing poker with someone who has absolutely no idea about bluffing or proper stakes and therefore throws you off.

In the end the solution usually just is waiting for someone to catch up as well and then getting the guy from the side.