Best program to record vids in?

• What is the best hopefully free program to record combat vids in? I was thinking of getting fraps, but I dunno.

• I use DXTory personally, but i’ve been getting weird lag with it enabled recently. It may just be my settings that are wonky.
    Would recommend it.

• Bandicam is pretty neat.

• Mod

I use Shadowplay to record, it’s pretty good but only available if you’ve got a newer (GTX 600+ series) Nvidia card. Records at 60fps 1080p, no noticeable performance impact and pretty small file sizes. It’s also got a handy “Shadow” mode which automatically records the past 1-20 minutes (you can choose how long) of gameplay in the background that you can save at the press of a button.

• This post is deleted!

• Global Moderator

Bandicam.

It can do exactly what shadowplay does. Hardware acceleration. But it can also do it with AMD and intel graphics.

Also fraps sucks shit. Its only got its name. Only reason it still sells. No one knows any better.

• @lemonater47:

Bandicam.
    Fraps sucks shit.

This is 2014…pls nobody use fraps pls no :,(

I cant believe people still use it after all this time lol.

• if you have a card that supports it, i’d recommend shadowplay. Another FREE option would be msi afterburner.

DxTory and Fraps and Bandicam are not free, people just ‘obtain them’ which is easily done of course. All of the programs will cause a bit of frame drop at times and get worse over time EXCEPT shadowplay as far as I’ve been using it.

Shadowplay ftw if you have an nvidia card that supports it. Download Geforce experience and find out.

• Global Moderator

Well with bandicam you can use Nvidia Cuda H.264. Which is exactly how shadowplay works. And it can do the same thing with AMD cards (app acceleration) and even the intel graphics that no one uses in your CPU (intel quicksync). Though the intel way requires a bit of setup to start. The makers of bandicam have just utilised an exploit to get it to work. Shadowplay is just hardware acceleration. Bandicam uses hardware acceleration since a patch in December. They also have amazing support. Every day the developers are ok their forums Answering questions, fixing problems and even apologising when things take a long time to fix. But their patches are all based on community feedback.

For the record I actually purchased bandicam. Worth it.

• ^ might check it out in the future, i know i tried it out in the past and wasn’t overwhelmed by it, if it has improved since then i might give it another go.

• Thanks, I’ll try some of these.

• Mod

I bought Dxtory and use the lagarith lossless codec. Takes up a bit of space though, roughly 10 MB per second.

• fraps is nice for its ease of use – just load it and you’re done. And does lossless video, if quality is very important to you, so the file sizes are large. it’s not free though.

if you’re worried about working and editing with compressed footage, always make sure you use a lossless codec and worry about compression after you finish the final product in order to get the highest quality possible.

never used the rest. Shadowplay requires a 650 nvidia or higher though.

• Global Moderator

@Tyoson:

I bought Dxtory and use the lagarith lossless codec. Takes up a bit of space though, roughly 10 MB per second.

Lol shadowplay and bandicam with the H.264 Codec do 30MB a minute to your 600MB a minute. That is at 720 though. File size also varies game to game chivalry is actually quite bad in that regard. Chivalry in 1080 using Xvid was 100MB a minute just about.

@NoVaLombardia:

fraps is nice for its ease of use – just load it and you’re done. And does lossless video, if quality is very important to you, so the file sizes are large. it’s not free though.

never used the rest. Shadowplay requires a 650 nvidia or higher though.

Bandicam comes pre loaded with the fraps codecs if you desperately want 8GB a minute. When you upload to YouTube it will compress the crap out of it anyway reducing the quality massively. Bandicam has “other option” where fraps has none. You can even use external codecs.

• Dxtory is pretty good.

You can also use Open Broadcaster Software to record to file if your CPU is beefy enough.

• Hauppage HD PVR external recorder.

• @zombojoe:

Dxtory is pretty good.

You can also use Open Broadcaster Software to record to file if your CPU is beefy enough.

Never heard of Dxtory, I’ll have to check it out.

• Global Moderator

Dxtory is pretty good. Though had some real issues with chivalry for me. Still bandicam has more choice.

• @lemonater47:

Dxtory is pretty good. Though had some real issues with chivalry for me. Still bandicam has more choice.

For whatever reason Bandicam DESTROYS my fps in chiv, no idea why.

• @Hitom:

Hauppage HD PVR external recorder.

“free” “program”

“external” “recorder”