Things to do.

• Global Moderator

Fix PTB so it actually works instead of being 20 minute TDM with more XP.
    Fix pirate hat bug. Sometimes with the new hat you wear two hats.

Slow down no-dachi wind up but speed up its release. Currently its the most flexible weapon in the game. Long and high damaging too. Its release is pretty slow making it very draggable but its windup is really fast comparatively so you can almost choose to start your attack instantly or wait for ages while swinging. Its high damage negates the new damage system penalties. Its too flexible.

Viking spear. Too fast for its length and knock back. Even with a sarrisa you only for to parry it once before you are in range to attack. But with the Viking spear you have to parry it several times before you get close enough. Reduce its knockback or speed.

Falcata is a bit too fast. Slow down its recovery and combo times for a realistic fix. A falcata has a weighted tip while a kopis is balanced. So if you miss with a falcata its momentum would make it hard to recover from and hard to combo fast.

Spartan weapon switch after throwing needs to be slowed down too. So Spartans are forced to throw from further away.

Pirate swords could use a small damage buff.

FIX SERVERS CRASHING.

There’s more stuff to do but I forgot what they are.

• No-dachi windup could use a very small windup increase, Not sure how i feel about speeding up its release though, I kinda like dragging with it :\

• Global Moderator

@Terminally:

No-dachi windup could use a very small windup increase, Not sure how i feel about speeding up its release though, I kinda like dragging with it :\

Not a drastic increase in release speed Just a very small one.

• Pirate swords could use a small damage buff.

I agree on a lot of what you said, but the pirate’s sword has a pretty high attack speed, so I think it compensates for its lack of damage.

• @Terje:

I agree on a lot of what you said, but the pirate’s sword has a pretty high attack speed, so I think it compensates for its lack of damage.

True, I honestly don’t think pirate swords need much more of a damage increase, that said I don’t play pirate much…

• Pirate guns should have more damage and be harder to use, this is the main problem with this class. Don’t get me wrong, I love blowing people’s heads off with point-blank blunderbuss shots, but the guns feel pretty weak sometimes, and usually you’re better off pulling out a melee weapon.

• Nodachi is weaker and slower than all knight and viking two hands and it only out ranges sword of war and pole axe. Nodachi is so weak it can take 4 kits to kill ninja/spartan 5 to kill a viking and 7 to kill a knight. Spartan 1 hand swords are all faster, longer range, and do more damage then the katana? Samurai overhead and thrust attacks have 0 drag compared to almost all other weapons.

• Automaticman, reading what you just said set off my bullshit meter real quick. I’m talkin in the red zone-level bullshittery. 5 Nodachi hits to kill a Ninja? 7 to kill a Knight? Those numbers are pretty ridiculous. And the thing.about Samurai weapons having no draggability is garbage too. The Nodachi as well as the 2 spears and the club are all mighty draggable.

• @Oy:

Automaticman, reading what you just said set off my bullshit meter real quick. I’m talkin in the red zone-level bullshittery. 5 Nodachi hits to kill a Ninja? 7 to kill a Knight? Those numbers are pretty ridiculous. And the thing.about Samurai weapons having no draggability is garbage too. The Nodachi as well as the 2 spears and the club are all mighty draggable.

Yup don’t forget the dynamic tracers, it took me 7 hits to kill a knight once when i was dragging super hard and each strike just barely touched him…

• With the quick health regen I gotta say it’s a probable factor in that scenario. But what weapon were you using, and remember he’s a OP knight lol. At least it wasn’t a Spartan.

• I said it can take 4 hits to kill a ninja, not 5. Regen is of course a factor? All knight weapons can throw a thrust and overhead and drag 180 degrees easily, while if you ever played a Samurai you’d notice you get maybe 60 - 90 degree drag with almost all weapon thrust and overhead attacks. Samurai trusts have slightly more dragability than spear weapons.

We suffer no trolls here….

that’s not true, honing ones trolling skills seems to be one of the only constructive things that happens here

• @Automatic_man:

…that’s not true, honing ones trolling skills seems to be one of the only constructive things that happens here

Are you arguing with yourself?

• Global Moderator

4 hits to kill a ninja? Stop aiming for his legs and hitting him with blue tracers. It can also 1hit overhead headshot a ninja.

• I’ve used the nodatchi a lot, from my experience its the best weapon for killing a ninja. It only takes 1-2 hits to kill him, 3 max. IMO there is nothing wrong with the weapon, balance wise.

• Global Moderator

@Terje:

I’ve used the nodatchi a lot, from my experience its the best weapon for killing a ninja. It only takes 1-2 hits to kill him, 3 max. IMO there is nothing wrong with the weapon, balance wise.

It’s easy to use. And I’m not suggesting nerfing it to the ground like pirate guns. Just slight changes that alters how it plays.

• @Automatic_man:

I said it can take 4 hits to kill a ninja, not 5. Regen is of course a factor? All knight weapons can throw a thrust and overhead and drag 180 degrees easily, while if you ever played a Samurai you’d notice you get maybe 60 - 90 degree drag with almost all weapon thrust and overhead attacks. Samurai trusts have slightly more dragability than spear weapons.

that’s not true, honing ones trolling skills seems to be one of the only constructive things that happens here

You said 5 hits to kill a ninja, 7 for a knight, then edited your post to say 4 hits for ninja, 5 for a viking. Then you call me a troll? Fuck off mate.

• Falcata is sick. It can two-shot samurai, is just as fast other one-handed swords and is pretty long as well. It needs to be slowed down, maybe even a slight damage nerf. I wouldn’t even mind if the entire shield bash on secondaries was scrapped and the swords would get their normal versatility.

• @Oy:

You said 5 hits to kill a ninja, 7 for a knight, then edited your post to say 4 hits for ninja, 5 for a viking. Then you call me a troll? Fuck off mate.

omg you’re trolling again…

• Nodachi is pretty great for a lone samurai. Kinda crappy if you have teammates around though, since you’re pretty much prohibited from swinging if you want your teammates to help you in melee. Because the blade is so enormous, there’s a very limited arc that won’t cause overheads to hit the ground, and using this arc gives the opponent a lot of time to block the swing and prohibits dragging. It might be possible to start the overhead low then drag it upwards to avoid a ground hit, but idk. Its thrusts are long but just ok, perhaps even underwhelming owing to the slow speed, relatively low damage, and lack of thrust combos. In the situations that thrusting becomes a better option than swinging or overheading, it’s usually difficult/impossible to follow up on it. Fighting under the buildings in bamboo comes to mind.

Fighting a saber-pirate, a ninja, or anybody else with similar speed weapons makes the nodachi feel totally inadequate.

In conclusion I think it’s a sweet weapon with a lot of nice individual components, but there are a number of situations where it simply cannot perform and the components don’t work together very well in its current state. So I wouldn’t say flexibility per se is the problem. Perhaps flexibility in the speed it can be swung at (drag into windup, windup into drag, and no drag each produce vastly different attack speeds, but still produce acceptable damage levels), and how this winds up fucking with the parry system in ways that other weapons really can’t. Still…

Viking spear knockback is just ridiculous, especially with the attack speed bonuses. Proper footwork means that you need to block it at least twice to do anything better than a hit trade, and as far as I know this is true with every single weapon matched against it regardless of relative weight and length. Can’t say I’ve extensively tested this hypothesis though.

Hard to say if pirate problems are their equipment or their playerbase. Pirate swords feel pretty meh, but it could be because I keep messing around with the blunderbuss instead of getting used to them. Blunderbuss is terrible for anything but point-blank headshots and 10hp finishers, but I don’t know why. I think it might spread too much at medium-close range? The overall unpredictability of the spread, even at point-blank? Cutlass seems either too weak or too slow. I know the saber is a (very) fine weapon, but pirates usually lack the group melee discipline for it to land the hits necessary for it to kill without getting overwhelmed. Most pirate problems may ultimately boil down to poor coordination between pirate players, since you pretty much need half of the team to be good shots and the other half to be good swordsmen. Or the entire team to be both, and to understand when they should be doing which and how many of them should be doing it.

• @IP:

Nodachi is pretty great for a lone samurai. Kinda crappy if you have teammates around though, since you’re pretty much prohibited from swinging if you want your teammates to help you in melee. Because the blade is so enormous, there’s a very limited arc that won’t cause overheads to hit the ground, and using this arc gives the opponent a lot of time to block the swing and prohibits dragging. It might be possible to start the overhead low then drag it upwards to avoid a ground hit, but idk. Its thrusts are long but just ok, perhaps even underwhelming owing to the slow speed, relatively low damage, and lack of thrust combos. In the situations that thrusting becomes a better option than swinging or overheading, it’s usually difficult/impossible to follow up on it. Fighting under the buildings in bamboo comes to mind.

Fighting a saber-pirate, a ninja, or anybody else with similar speed weapons makes the nodachi feel totally inadequate.

In conclusion I think it’s a sweet weapon with a lot of nice individual components, but there are a number of situations where it simply cannot perform and the components don’t work together very well in its current state. So I wouldn’t say flexibility per se is the problem. Perhaps flexibility in the speed it can be swung at (drag into windup, windup into drag, and no drag each produce vastly different attack speeds, but still produce acceptable damage levels), and how this winds up fucking with the parry system in ways that other weapons really can’t. Still…

Viking spear knockback is just ridiculous, especially with the attack speed bonuses. Proper footwork means that you need to block it at least twice to do anything better than a hit trade, and as far as I know this is true with every single weapon matched against it regardless of relative weight and length. Can’t say I’ve extensively tested this hypothesis though.

Hard to say if pirate problems are their equipment or their playerbase. Pirate swords feel pretty meh, but it could be because I keep messing around with the blunderbuss instead of getting used to them. Blunderbuss is terrible for anything but point-blank headshots and 10hp finishers, but I don’t know why. I think it might spread too much at medium-close range? The overall unpredictability of the spread, even at point-blank? Cutlass seems either too weak or too slow. I know the saber is a (very) fine weapon, but pirates usually lack the group melee discipline for it to land the hits necessary for it to kill without getting overwhelmed. Most pirate problems may ultimately boil down to poor coordination between pirate players, since you pretty much need half of the team to be good shots and the other half to be good swordsmen. Or the entire team to be both, and to understand when they should be doing which and how many of them should be doing it.

Well said, I think the population in general for DW has dropped pretty drastically, I myself only play every so often…