Dev/Community Sit Down

• I get this feeling like the devs are only psuedo approachable. For such a small dev team, I would think they would be highly active with their community. While I understand they have obligations, they need to understand their endless lines of code don’t mean anything without a good support of players behind it. Ultimately WE make this game possible. When the numbers dip below 1000 on the server list, and a steam sale ain’t going to be happening for awhile, WE are the reason the game doesn’t just die off. I’d like to think our polled opinions can actually mean something as far as the developement of this game.

For this reseaon I’d like to propose a community sit down. Something along the lines of ask me anything on reddit. A good chunk of devs, the real heavy hitters, coming onto the forums or joining a community teamspeak and talking with us. Exchanging ideas and directions. Get some answers as to why certain decisions have been made/ have not been made. With such a small dev team/community to start with, there should be no reason why this can’t be a more personal affair. This isn’t call of duty. There aren’t millions of players with millions of opinions. This is do-able.

Obviously for this to actually work, a certain level of respect would need to be achieved. Gathering the most common of questions running thru the community to present to them and NOT flaming them or being trolls. I believe part of what keeps the game makers unapproachable is their unwillingness to get on and take an anal bashing, which of course goes with any game.

So lemme know! Do the poll. Post your thoughts or some good questions that we want answers to. But above all else, be mature. The powers that be will not likely take advice from children being children, but rather adults be respectful.

• When developers deserve a good anal bashing, they have no right not to approach. It only makes things worse. They have to step up, admit their fault, and repair the damage they’ve done instead of letting the majority of the community become haters.

As for TB’s case, they sure take too many holidays. And holidays are no excuse for being unapproachable.

• Great idea, has been asked endlessly and I’ve always wondered why communication was so poor from Torn-Banners. Communication is so easy, you talk, we talk, people know what we are up to and people are given reasons and proposals for ideas and changes!! Plus it would certainly curb a lot of issues within the community when it comes to discussion!

Seems you need a poll to be taken seriously around here! :D

• Mod

Agreed. There’s nothing more frustrating then having stuff ignored…

• I voted no. I am ignoring you all, bring me another donut great line from Rise of the triads, which you can feast on
    while they are not buttering your crumpets tbh.

• @Rickvs:

When developers deserve a good anal bashing, they have no right not to approach.

/thread

10chars

• @loin:

I voted no. I am ignoring you all, bring me another donut great line from Rise of the triads, which you can feast on
    while they are not buttering your crumpets tbh.

I’m not sure if you have some weird foreign humor or are like the community gimp, where everyone knows you/puts up with you because you are just you.

Either way, those who do not butter my crumpets forfeit the right to walk along the chocolate river, but don’t forget to pick the daisies or the cows will be gone till midnight!

• He is the community gimp and foodstuffs are his thing.

• I think they know the problems, the game is glitchy, they do not know how to fix it, these kinds of problems are not easy to fix, you can’t just go into code and type ''stop glitching line 2048}"", give em a break you guys :P

• @chivalryinterested:

I think they know the problems, the game is glitchy, they do not know how to fix it, these kinds of problems are not easy to fix, you can’t just go into code and type ''stop glitching line 2048}"", give em a break you guys :P

I like the fact that your post addresses our naivety, while at the same time exposing yours. <3

• Game is as good as it has ever been right now, sufficient players to find a game. They have never really communicated with the community, I don’t think it is there expertise. We have the map competition going right now, which is sufficiently exciting.

• @SargeTheGhey:

I like the fact that your post addresses our naivety, while at the same time exposing yours. <3

Ugh, post won’t edit. This was meant to go with the above comment.

There is more to it than removing a glitch. Weapon stats, collision frames, content, completely focusing on another game when this one isn’t near finished, communicating with your player base in some sort of effort of retention, etc…

• I don’t think they have to do an AMA… just respond to threads regularly.

• I would be happy if they honestly logged everything that they change in the patch notes…

• This post is deleted!

• This is not as bad as the Primal Carnage developers. They rarely give any information on what they are doing. At least one of them comes across as petty and unprofessional on the forums, sinking so long as to be scornful to a member giving his opinion on a patch. T-t-t…

• @Agent:

This is not as bad as the Primal Carnage developers. They rarely give any information on what they are doing. At least one of them comes across as petty and unprofessional on the forums, sinking so long as to be scornful to a member giving his opinion on a patch. T-t-t…

Not sure about the current state, but I played the shit out of Primal Carnage a year ago. One hell of a fun game.
    The last thing I heard from them was a complete rewrite of code… and well, then Chivalry went on sale.

Can’t wait to see more of Primal: Genesis.

• Yeah the recode was announced last year i think. They still dont have a date.

• Communication is damned if you do and damned of you dont. I agree the game is the best it has been in a while considering. I think they do an OK job in the Patch notes. I would like to see a more in depth list of changes and fixes giving more details is what exactly is being changed and even a why. What is their thought process in an attempted fix. I think that would go a long way.

Also many of these changes do require a lot of programing, internal testing. I would prefer they do that then waste time reading and responding to every little cry and complaint. I am fairly sure they are aware of the many problems with the game and if you, like me have spent any time tweaking the engine you know there are many games with shit tons of supposed fixes. This engine is grossly complex for even a well staffed dev team let alone a small one such as TBS.

We are talking less than 10 guys doing all this work and they are still learning the engine and all its depths. Hell Just playing with the SDK even with my experience in Hammer, i still get lost and f stuff up aka why I have no playable maps because I want to do more than my skills are capable of at this moment.

Point being these guys be busy making gay assed half naked barbarians….

• @Retsnom:

Communication is damned if you do and damned of you dont. I agree the game is the best it has been in a while considering. I think they do an OK job in the Patch notes. I would like to see a more in depth list of changes and fixes giving more details is what exactly is being changed and even a why. What is their thought process in an attempted fix. I think that would go a long way.

Also many of these changes do require a lot of programing, internal testing. I would prefer they do that then waste time reading and responding to every little cry and complaint. I am fairly sure they are aware of the many problems with the game and if you, like me have spent any time tweaking the engine you know there are many games with shit tons of supposed fixes. This engine is grossly complex for even a well staffed dev team let alone a small one such as TBS.

We are talking less than 10 guys doing all this work and they are still learning the engine and all its depths. Hell Just playing with the SDK even with my experience in Hammer, i still get lost and f stuff up aka why I have no playable maps because I want to do more than my skills are capable of at this moment.

+1

/10fukincharacters