In need of scrim advice

• So far I’ve noticed a few things about typical 5v5 scrims:

• It doesn’t matter if you spent 800 hours with 1 main duelling weapon, there’s still a good chance it’s next to worthless in scrims.
    • Teamplay=win. We all know that in our newly founded clan, and are of course working on it.

But I already knew this. I was hoping to get some individual advice from some of you out there.

From what I’ve tried I came to the conclusion that the Brandistock can be quite devastating. Especially with a well-timed slash feint to powerful stab. But I also found it easily overwhelmed if your opponents already have the upper hand, like when they have 1 Man at Arms alive, and your team no longer does.

Poleaxe was pretty good too.

Grand Mace and Double Axe are my main duelling weapons, but so far I’ve noticed I’m severly gimped by opponent classes like Men at Arms or even Vanguards poking from a distance.

So I don’t have a main scrimming weapon or playstyle yet. Any magical miraculous wonderful tips any of you can give me?

• Always try to fight the enemy in the most unfair way possible.

For example if you have a grandmace you should ALWAYS focus on fighting knights. If you are fighting man at arms, first you shouldn’t be doing that and second switch to a more appropriate weapon like the norse sword.

If you have firepots you should always hit the most impactful targets, ei clustered enemies that are about to be engaged or knights.

You can do things like sneak a man at arms to push an objective but its cheesy and unreliable. A better idea is use that man at arms to flank the enemy from behind, possibly take out their archer or stab everyone in the back.

Also to win melee fights good target switching saves the day because you can quickly focus down enemies one by one as opposed to have prolongued duels against people have your full attention. Its much easier to hit some poor sucker who is fighting a teammate in the head with the maul than it is do 2-3 super l33t messer drag to take out an opponent. Its even more apparent if the enemy is target switching a lot because you will literally be unable to have what people consider to be an even fight.

To win the game one must stack odds in his favor.

• It’s pretty much determining what role you want to take in the scrim. Some weapons are better as assist weapons. Any polearm or spear weapon is great for assisting and finishing kills. The trick is staying on the outside and knowing when to strike. It all depends on how your team sets up the conforntation and how well you can fit into it. You have to resign yourself to the fact that you won’t get a lot of kills, but your assists will be da bomb. Once you get more comfortable, you can be the team kill stealer.

Honestly, go into pubs and practice stealing kills in large groups. Focus on map awareness and how much damage an enemy has taken from a teammate.

• Individual scrim advice…

Do 2v1 drills on Moor. Everyone lines up on the palisade. The first two go out into the field and are now the two. The next person in the line goes up and from then on it’s a 2v1. Focus on mastering CFTP’ing, PiP’ing, target switching, clever drags, good feints, stamina management, etc. This drill accomplishes two things. First, you want to know how to 2v1 perfectly without taking any damage and quickly killing the one. As the one it gives you great Xv1 practice that you’ll need in scrims.

When one of the two dies, the fight stops and now the person that was originally the “one” is now the “two” if you understand what I’m saying.

Other than that in scrims focus on attacking enemies which your weapon deals with well. If you’re using a spear, poke the enemy MAA and vanguards in the back. If you’re using SoW, focus on quickly taking out vanguards with two stabs. If you’re a Gmace/Dubaxe/Maul, focus on quickly bashing the enemy knights. If you and your teammates target switch and play your own weapons perfectly to their own advantages, you’ll win almost every single engagement.

• @Flippy:

Individual scrim advice…

Do 2v1 drills on Moor. Everyone lines up on the palisade. The first two go out into the field and are now the two. The next person in the line goes up and from then on it’s a 2v1. Focus on mastering CFTP’ing, PiP’ing, target switching, clever drags, good feints, stamina management, etc. This drill accomplishes two things. First, you want to know how to 2v1 perfectly without taking any damage and quickly killing the one. As the one it gives you great Xv1 practice that you’ll need in scrims.

When one of the two dies, the fight stops and now the person that was originally the “one” is now the “two” if you understand what I’m saying.

Other than that in scrims focus on attacking enemies which your weapon deals with well. If you’re using a spear, poke the enemy MAA and vanguards in the back. If you’re using SoW, focus on quickly taking out vanguards with two stabs. If you’re a Gmace/Dubaxe/Maul, focus on quickly bashing the enemy knights. If you and your teammates target switch and play your own weapons perfectly to their own advantages, you’ll win almost every single engagement.

Great advice. Will definitely be presenting the 1v2 exercise to the rest of the clan. Thanks, Flippy.

• Very useful info, guys. Now I shall practice the 1 vs many part in the style of an 80’s samurai training timelapse!

• @zombojoe:

To win the game one must stack odds in his favor.

Yup…

/10chars

• @Flippy:

Individual scrim advice…

Brilliant…

• Weapon and class composition are extremely important.

Use counter weapons on the opposing team for maximum effect, e.g. [Bardiche vs MAA] or [Polehammer vs Knight] or [SOW vs Vanguard] or [Morning Star vs Vanguard] or [Brandistock vs MAA] and etc. I suggest studying the spreadsheet and hits to kill on each weapon in the game and experiment with what counters which. For example the reason I would use a polehammer against a team with a lot of knights is because I can 2 shot every single one and get combohappy. If I used a claymore in that situation, I would have to get 3 hits in to kill and I would have to use mostly stabs to even achieve this. This would prevent comboswitching.

Play smart, communicate a lot, coordinate, and promote healthy scrim talk rather than “FUCK I DIED TO AN ARCHER FUCK THIS GAME FUCK”.

• Scrimming kinda sucks nowadays, the whole thing is less skill now and more team comp, like dota or something.

• @OPxMike:

Scrimming kinda sucks nowadays, the whole thing is less skill now and more team comp, like dota or something.

evvryoes playing dota nowdays

• Scrim is over. I just did some cheap Poleaxe stab feints. Stab feints and a Polehammer buddy next to me ready to lookdown.

Next scrim I’ll try to just poke people from a distance with my Spear when they are having a nice duel.

• @Rickvs:

Scrim is over. I just did some cheap Poleaxe stab feints. Stab feints and a Polehammer buddy next to me ready to lookdown.

I hope you washed yourself afterwards…

• First you suck then you git gud. Such is life.

• @Rickvs:

Scrim is over. I just did some cheap Poleaxe stab feints. Stab feints and a Polehammer buddy next to me ready to lookdown.

Next scrim I’ll try to just poke people from a distance with my Spear when they are having a nice duel.

We keep doing practice scrims vs UKN. You need to get there some time :) Just now did a 3v3 vs smoothie and couple others.