BETA - Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Patch 26

• Beta 2

• Adjusted parry tracers on 2-handed swords to address phasing through players
    • Weapon variants now properly award users experience
    • Added mud and foliage impact sounds for all melee weapons

Coldfront

• Added oil decals aroundgate
    • Increased the duration of the oil splashy particle effect
    • Added crenelation variants
    • Adjusted collision on roof meshes
    • Carpet in throne room no longer clips with floor
    • Reduced the snow sprite spawn
    • Minor Optimizations, setting draw distances on particles and corpse
    • Replaced Mason banners with (barbaric)dragon banners

Beta 1

***** The focus of this patch is Bug fixes and Improvements*****
    Gameplay

• Added parry tracers to beginning of swing, in the opposite direction of the swing.
    • New weapon handle tracers to remove handle hits (new tracer is parryable but no longer deals damage)
    • Try to improve the reliability of the chase mechanic.
    • Fixed an extra flinch effect when you’re on fire.
    • Fixed vertical turn limit on parry riposte.

Level

• Minor Hillside level fixes from forum reports
    • Added loadout change volumes to Outpost
    • Set physical materials on some SDK, Outpost, and Coldfront assets

Misc

• Thrown torches split into two on impact.
    • Fixed heavy javelin and short spear when thrown shows a regular javelin.
    • Fixed weapon blood in standalone(create game) mode.

SDK Changes/Additions

• Will warn when extracting packages that share a name with a package in CookedPC (since these packages will be ignored and superseded by the ones in CookedPC)
    • Changed ini read for code mods to only read and write those that are specified in Default ini; anything not present in the Default will not be read from the mod’s generated ini, so preventing the mod ini from e.g. overriding *Game.ini and *Engine.ini
    • Changed ?ModName to work properly for clients.
    • Added a reconnect retry in case a seamless transition download fails.
    • Added detailed log messages for download fail.

• @DaGGyzo:

Added parry tracers to beginning of swing, in the opposite direction of the swing.

• New weapon handle tracers to remove handle hits (new tracer is parryable but no longer deals damage)
    • Try to improve the reliability of the chase mechanic.

Nice, nice, nice.

• No more handlehits? Oh TB you delicious wizard.

I’m not sure what this translates to?

• Looking forward to trying this out ^^

• So you can chamber now?

• @DaGGyzo:

Yes!

@DaGGyzo:

10x Yes!

@DaGGyzo:

• Added parry tracers to beginning of swing, in the opposite direction of the swing.

Not sure what it means, but it sounds clever!

Woaaaahhhhh wuuuuuut does this mean? Is this like if you attack at the right time then you can deflect the enemy’s attack by hitting their weapon with the beginning of your swing?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x20v9F-sWHQ

• Mod

Added parry tracers to beginning of swing, in the opposite direction of the swing.

Here’s what that looks like with a regular slash:

Notice the light blue handle tracers too.

• @Kim:

Here’s what that looks like with a regular slash:

Notice the light blue handle tracers too.

Soooo uhhhhh… Can you technically “parry” with those light blue tracers? Can you do a riposte after parrying with those tracers?

• Developer

@Nohbdy111:

Woaaaahhhhh wuuuuuut does this mean? Is this like if you attack at the right time then you can deflect the enemy’s attack by hitting their weapon with the beginning of your swing?

Parry tracers are used only to determine parries. The other tracers (I’ll call them “attack tracers”) are used to determine parries or to hit the enemy.

Player A’s swing is parried by Player B when Player A’s attack tracers contact Player B if, at some earlier point during the swing, Player A’s (Attack or Parry) tracers had collided with Player B’s parry volume and Player B is currently parrying.

So:

• Alice swings her sword.
    • One of the sword’s (attack or parry) tracers collides with Bob’s parry volume; the sword remembers this fact.
    • Bob parries.
    • One of the sword’s attack tracers collides with Bob’s collision model while Bob is parrying. The sword checks to see if it had previously collided with Bob’s parry volume; since it had, it triggers a parry.

These new backwards parry tracers are a mechanism to further avoid situations where you start your attack inside an enemy’s block (i.e. past the enemy’s parry volume).

• @DaGGyzo:

Beta Patch 26

***** The focus of this patch is Bug fixes and Improvements*****
    Gameplay

I am SO looking forward to this. Hopefully Greatsword, Polehammer, Messer, Grandmace, Bardiche and any other handle offenders will be less annoying now.
    Sounds good TB. Sounds good.

• GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

Parry tracers are used only to determine parries. The other tracers (I’ll call them “attack tracers”) are used to determine parries or to hit the enemy.

Player A’s swing is parried by Player B when Player A’s attack tracers contact Player B if, at some earlier point during the swing, Player A’s (Attack or Parry) tracers had collided with Player B’s parry volume and Player B is currently parrying.

So:

• One of the sword’s (attack or parry) tracers collides with Bob’s parry volume; the sword remembers this fact.
    • Bob parries.
    • One of the sword’s attack tracers collides with Bob’s collision model while Bob is parrying. The sword checks to see if it had previously collided with Bob’s parry volume; since it had, it triggers a parry.

These new backwards parry tracers are a mechanism to further avoid situations where you start your attack inside an enemy’s block (i.e. past the enemy’s parry volume).

That sounds good Soup.
    inb4 it breaks something else horrifically.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

So:

• Bob parries.

Ahhhh okay, so the light blue tracers are just tracers that do no damage but can be parried just like any of the damaging tracers can?

Do the light blue tracers flinch though? You say they don’t deal damage and they can be parried, but you mentioned nothing about whether or not they flinch enemy attacks.

• Developer

There’s two new sets of parry tracers: the handle tracers at the bottom of the weapon (the light blue ones), and the backwards-facing parry tracers that happen only on the first frame of the swing. Yeah, they don’t deal damage, they’re only used for parry checks.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

So:

• Bob parries.

Holy shit this sounds amazing. Good work.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

There’s two new sets of parry tracers: the handle tracers at the bottom of the weapon (the light blue ones), and the backwards-facing parry tracers that happen only on the first frame of the swing. Yeah, they don’t deal damage, they’re only used for parry checks.

Great explanation!
    This sounds promising. :)

• Holy dick-butt, the game feels wonderful. Parrying is so much more consistent and crisp. There aren’t anymore bullshit Gmace/Polehammer lookdowns and norse sword isn’t go through my parries anymore!

There is one problem though that myself, Alice and Spook found. We didn’t test every weapon, but we know that the Maul and Polehammer can actually phase through enemies and do no damage. It’s easy to replicate as well.

The enemy has to be standing still, looking all the way at the ground in facehug range. Then with either of these weapons you have to be crouched and looking down at a certain angle then throw an attack. It’ll go straight through.

However the weapons hit consistently every single other time. I don’t think it’s a big issue and if this is the sacrifice we have to make for more consistent parrying then I’m all for it. I don’t think it would be possible to see this happen in a pub, scrim or regular duel. Only under very specific circumstances does it happen.

BIG FAT EDIT: Uh, we found a worse problem Spook is posting a video of it shortly. Kinda game breaking.

• @Flippy:

Holy dick-butt, the game feels wonderful. Parrying is so much more consistent and crisp. There aren’t anymore bullshit Gmace/Polehammer lookdowns and norse sword isn’t go through my parries anymore!

Glad to hear, downloading the beta as fast as I can!

@Flippy:

There is one problem though that myself, Alice and Spook found. We didn’t test every weapon, but we know that the Maul and Polehammer can actually phase through enemies and do no damage. It’s easy to replicate as well.

The enemy has to be standing still, looking all the way at the ground in facehug range. Then with either of these weapons you have to be crouched and looking down at a certain angle then throw an attack. It’ll go straight through.

Did you check the tracers when doing this? I know that tracers are placed differently when crouching, maybe it has something to do with that?