New Map Visuals

• I’m not one to moan about free content… oh who am I kidding, I will absolutely moan about free content.

Did TB lose an art department in a fire? I’m not complaining about the new characters, they look how they do and people will buy them or not. But the maps? Everyone gets these and they’ll be in the rotation on most servers, and well… look:

I mean… What the eff? I understand if talented people get hired by a different company or just leave to do their own thing, but you’re supposed to replace them.

I guess it could just be an art pass short of prime time and they just wanted to get it in players’ hands before it was finished… but isn’t that what the beta was for? This is in the main game now… is it finished? I really hope not.

Some things I reckon would improve the look:

Coldfront:
    1. Gently falling snow OR winds blowing a gale off the beach. Both is weird.
    2. Some stuff in the castle to make it feel like a castle under seige. Weapon racks, tables and junk. Collapsed sections of wall where catapults have hit, and so on.
    3. For falling snow, the effect used for the volcano ash on Citadel would be better than this. It’d look a lot like the snow Ridley Scott uses, blowing around rather than falling. The stop start wouldn’t be as noticeable when you transition in or out of doors and it’s easier to see what you’re doing.

Outpost:
    1. This fog. Sheesh. The colour effect is quite nice going through the second stage, but everything is blown out and grey in the mist. A bit of contrast on things up close would be nice. Battleground struck a nice balance of mist and fog with clarity up close.
    2. The first stage is fairytale perfect. It reminds me of Bionic Commando (the 2000-something Grin flop), it lacks the grit you’d expect from doing something like burning down a camp. It’s odd that it’s one of the few maps to lack a low sun when the objective feels very much like a dawn raid. A dawn setting would also explain the crazy fog.

In general:
    1. More cover and stuff to get behind, more interesting areas to fight in. Both maps feel very open in stages, almost like shooter maps.

That’s all for the moment. Now lets argue over why these maps look perfectly fine, better than the old maps in many ways and certainly set a new standard for future games to aspire to.

• Global Moderator

There does seem to be a lack of polish. I do like the fog in the second stage of outpost though. It’s proper fog.

• Mod

The fog on Outpost is super annoying. Ridiculous how many times I’ve been attacked by a teammate because they can’t see the Mason/Agatha colours.

• Stop putting fog in your maps.

People don’t like it. Why don’t you believe us? Why do you keep forcing it down upon us?

• Long distance fog is good, but when its so close that you can’t see who you are fighting then there is definitely a problem.

As a rule of thumb the fog should be distant as the maximum range of an archer.

• I think the Outpost fog works pretty well on highest settings.
    Too bad the game doesn’t work pretty well on highest settings.

• Global Moderator

Yeah I play on high and you can see for miles and see the colours.

People will get used to it. And there’s the skins people aren’t used to either. And a there’s a sudden influx of new players for some reason too.

What setting changes the level of fog anyway?

• I like the fog :( at least in this map, adds some grit to the map.

Teammates are an issue in bright sunlight with clear as day colors, how do you not expect them to team attack you at all times? Making less fog is not going to stop this.

• fog is awful, at least give us access to the “show fog” command in multiplayer dangit.

• @B4RK:

I think the Outpost fog works pretty well on highest settings.
    Too bad the game doesn’t work pretty well on highest settings.

A thousand times this…

• @50ShadesofClay:

I like the fog :( at least in this map, adds some grit to the map.

Teammates are an issue in bright sunlight with clear as day colors, how do you not expect them to team attack you at all times? Making less fog is not going to stop this.

Teammates can literally be worse than the enemy, at least I know the enemy are trying to hit me…

• @Xylvion:

fog is awful, at least give us access to the “show fog” command in multiplayer dangit.

This would be nice…

• honestly i prefer a clean look with good fps over that hillside one

• I like fog in RL but in multiplayer games it’s awful

• So I guess this is the fog thread. I might edit the first post to just say “Fog? NO!”

• I wouldn’t mind the fog if it was fair. Unfortunately people who can play with high details have like half the fog.

• God hates fogs

• Mod

I agree with OP. It looks like they cut corners on a lot of the art work in some areas and it shows. I do enjoy the new maps, but it seems they’re missing the finishing touches. Also, I hate fog.

• @Tyoson:

I agree with OP. It looks like they cut corners on a lot of the art work in some areas and it shows. I do enjoy the new maps, but it seems they’re missing the finishing touches. Also, I hate fog.

I have no problem with fog.

As far as the OP is concerned I think the castle is the bit that needs an art pass. More detail, more stuff, less square, blocky walls.

• I don’t find Coldfronts visuals that terrible, except the snow particles, either thin the quantity of them or just improve the particle quality.