Concluding Beta, Thoughts and Opinions

• We’re nearing the last full day of beta before everything is packed up and released. It’s been a ton of fun, and I’d like to give a virtual tip-o’-the-hat to Torn Banner for making this game. They’ve taken their concept a long ways, and I have a deep respect for that.

But now that beta is ending, and most people have a good idea as to how the game is going to work now, I wanted to have a little look back on the progress so far and ask a few questions to help get some last minute opinions on the game as well as give the devs on the forum here a little chance to talk about their work.

So I have four simple questions to ask any community members and developers about how the feel about the game so far.

1: What’s your overall opinion on this beta test and Chivalry altogether?
    Did this game meet your expectations? Exceed them? Or are there still things that bother you? It’s kind of a vague question, I know, but just try to generalize your overall feel for the game. Maybe on a 1-10 scale or some such.

2: What’s the one thing that really pleased you about the game’s progression so far?
    Something that really turned out just how you hoped; that part that is just right for you. A lot of work went into this, and a lot of changes have been made, of them what do you like the most?

3: What’s the one thing you were really wishing the team (or if your a dev, yourself) would have made into the beta that didn’t get done?
    There are always things to regret about our experiences, and while no one likes to dwell on the past there are still things to be learned from reflection. What did you feel like really got missed that you wanted added?

4: As it is now, (assuming no drastic changes are made on the coming release) how do you think the game will do in the future?
    Where do you think Chivalry will be a year from now? The test of time is something everyone deals with, and overcoming that test is a sure sign of quality work. Do you think chivalry will be a memorable classic forever? Or something unfortunately forgotten in the tide of the growing gaming industry?

Take a few seconds and let me know what you think. I’m sure you all have some interesting thoughts on the game now that Beta is nearly done.

• Developer

The forum merging caused this thread to fall down the list, but I’m interested in feedback, so… bump!

• 1: What’s your overall opinion on this beta test and Chivalry altogether?
    Did this game meet your expectations? Exceed them? Or are there still things that bother you? It’s kind of a vague question, I know, but just try to generalize your overall feel for the game. Maybe on a 1-10 scale or some such.

I think the beta lacked some direction; there was a flood of duplicate reports and people didn’t really know what was/wasn’t a known issue, and a lot of the reports were very vague because people don’t know the importance of being specific in reports. Like “This guy looked like he was red but he was blue” is a lot less helpful than “A blue vanguard appeared to be red after using the ballista on Hillside”. I’m no coder but I know there are a million things that can cause any kind of weird behavior, and the more you can narrow it down the easier it is to find and fix - and the less time it takes the devs to find out what’s causing an issue and fix it, the more bugs they’ll be able to fix. Maybe they’d even be able to get a couple hours of sleep every other week ;)

As for the game itself, I think it’s awesome (obviously) and the progress these guys have made for being such a small team on what I assume is their first commercial project (can’t say for sure on all of them, don’t know their background) is truly astonishing. When people used to make threads asking if max player numbers could go higher than 32, after my time in the alpha and seeing how laggy it could get with just 20 players or so, I never imagined how quickly TBS would have almost completely stable 64 player servers - considering they only planned to support 32 player max.

Top top top issue for me and a lot of people is misleading animations. I’m still not entirely sure what causes it, seems to happen with combos and feints though - when an animation will play which isn’t the actual action the player is taking (for example, backswing on a combo) and then after a moment switch to the real animation. I die to that an awful lot.

Aside from that it’s really a completely playable game that I expect to see a lot of clans and communities pick up. A hell of a lot of competitive play potential and an excellent skill ceiling, while still being enjoyable to just pick up and play. Balance is still an issue that needs to be worked out, but we’ll only really see where everything stands once clans start scrimming. I still see archers being problematic as well, but if I start talking about that this’ll turn into even more of a longwinded post.

2: What’s the one thing that really pleased you about the game’s progression so far?
    Something that really turned out just how you hoped; that part that is just right for you. A lot of work went into this, and a lot of changes have been made, of them what do you like the most?

I’m going to skip this question; being among the first alpha testers, I saw this game when it was in a barely playable state, and the progress I saw every single alpha patch right on up to the beta and beyond has all been so surreal that I can’t nail down any single thing. Actually, you know what? Fists. Fists are great. 8-)

3: What’s the one thing you were really wishing the team (or if your a dev, yourself) would have made into the beta that didn’t get done?
    There are always things to regret about our experiences, and while no one likes to dwell on the past there are still things to be learned from reflection. What did you feel like really got missed that you wanted added?

Javelin rework - I’ve only heard vague mentions that they’re being worked on, but I’m not sure if it means just having all the bugs fixed or a mechanics overhaul. I’m really hoping for the latter. I really enjoyed the javelineer in AoC but I just don’t get nearly the same feel playing javelins in Chivalry.

The flail not making it in with the initial batch of weapons was a bit disappointing too, but we all knew it would be in eventually, even without the stretch goal on Kickstarter - plus with all of the weapons already available it’s hard to really look at the arsenal and say Chivalry is lacking in weapon variety.

4: As it is now, (assuming no drastic changes are made on the coming release) how do you think the game will do in the future?
    Where do you think Chivalry will be a year from now? The test of time is something everyone deals with, and overcoming that test is a sure sign of quality work. Do you think chivalry will be a memorable classic forever? Or something unfortunately forgotten in the tide of the growing gaming industry?

This is really hard to say. There are so many variables involved. It depends a lot on the devs, obviously - and for that part I have no doubt they’ll support the game long into the future and bring a lot of amazing stuff to it - but it also depends heavily on the community. The thing that keeps people playing a competitive multiplayer game like this for a long time is the challenge. If they don’t feel challenged they’ll move on. So if there are enough clans, leagues, tournaments, etc. - this game will have an amazing future no doubt. I see more competitive potential in Chivalry than I have in any game I’ve played, and I’ve played a lot of games that went on to become major e-sports; from arcade fighters that transitioned to online console play, from the original CS to Unreal Tournament to DotA to CoD to LoL (looking at that progression it seems like our standards for e-sports are getting lower :? ), I feel like all of them not only take less skill to master than Chivalry, but - and this is equally important these days - Chivalry is by far the most enjoyable to watch. Fights are fast and brutal, but you always know exactly what’s happening, even if you aren’t a pro at the game, because the gameplay is so intuitive.

So obviously I’m extremely hopeful, but it’s still yet to be seen how the community pulls through. I was disappointed by how often attempts at forming a league fell apart in AoC - I seriously doubt the same will happen with Chivalry, but it’s always a possibility.

• @Tibberius:

The forum merging caused this thread to fall down the list, but I’m interested in feedback, so… bump!

Bump for Tibbs

The game still feels like it needs more polish in some areas, that it is not ready for release. The voice chat system is terrible. It often cuts out, and doesnt display who is talking either on the screen or over/on their avatar. There are often bugged objectives. There is no teal balancer to speak of. the UI is a little clunky. There is no single player mode. There are relatively few maps. I’ve seen the votekick system abused to kick players for no good reason, either because they’re doing really well and no one wants to fight them or just plain luls. No real fix for that though.

The combat itself is really good. The maps are nice and the game looks pretty. I’d give the game a solid 7/10. I was expecting Age of Chivalry 2, but this game is a lot different.

The community is kind of terrible though. Its all like people from /v/ if you catch my drift. I mentioned that chiv plays well on my gamepad and a console port of it would be cool (in several maps) and watched the rage from autismal PC masterrace morans telling me consoles killed gaming. But then, you get that on any PC game.

I love the kicking. Kicking people off ledges, kicking them into spikes. I’m all about kicking. It reminds me of dark messiah of might and magic.

A decent voice chat system. in a team game like chiv, its very important. The game could use more maps too.

I don’t see it becoming a massive hit. Hopefully it does well for a while. I think the game will do ok, the playerbase will slowly diminish, and then the game will die. thats what i see of its future.

Well, no. I have to admit, I put my expectations a little high, but something about it led to a poor first impression. But after playing I got the classic fun from AoC, so I can’t give it any less than an 8/10.

Haven’t been around the beta for long, but I was pleased when stamina was fixed to be more apparent in gameplay.

Team balancing. This is an extremely crucial thing to maintain fun in multiplayer games and it’s awful that it’s not in. Team stacking seems to be modus operandus for most players. Most games don’t have forced auto-assign which is an excellent feature, but they at least have preventative measures against team stacking like auto-balancing.

I’m afraid I can’t say I’m very hopeful. The game still feels quite unpolished and a few weeks or months of development time would do a world of difference. But, I’m sure the developers can’t afford to hold off on sales for much longer, and it’s not like they’ll drop support of the game. Unless they do, but I’ll be as surprised as I would be disappointed.