Choppy Gameplay/Stuttering Animations

• I’ve been experiencing this for a little while now and it’s an issue that seems to just come and go at random. One minute I’ll be playing and everything is smooth and then the animation start stuttering and sometimes I even start to lose control over my mouse.

I’ve checked my mouse and tested in in other games and haven’t had any issues so I’ve ruled that out as the cause. I’ve checked my FPS in console and with MSI afterburner and I’m getting a solid 60 which is what I always play at. It really seems like I’m getting a low frame rate but as I’ve said before its not dropping according to the tests I’ve done.

I’ve tried validating my files in steam, I’ve tried clean installing the game, and I’ve tried resetting my router all to no avail. It’s not something that happens all of the time I’ll have days where it doesn’t happen at all and some days where it will come and go. I really think this is an issue with Chivalry and not on my end and I know I’m not the only one experiencing this in some way. I just wanted to give a report of this issue I’m experiencing and I hope that you guys can look into it and get it sorted out for all of us.

Thanks for all the hard work you’ve been doing TBS I like the direction the game is headed I just hope you can get a fix for those of us experiencing this.

Edit: I posted some new info on page 2

• Seems like this is happening more and more to more and more people….

• Can you make a video of these stuttering animations? I hear so many people talk about them but I’ve never seen any evidence of them.

• Did all servers get downgraded with patch 24, or did something happen to the game itself?
    It feels like I’m playing on the servers before they were upgraded again.

• @B4RK:

Did all servers get downgraded with patch 24, or did something happen to the game itself?
    It feels like I’m playing on the servers before they were upgraded again.

Tick rate was reset IIRC but nothing else…(I may be wrong still not sure)

• @Flippy:

Can you make a video of these stuttering animations? I hear so many people talk about them but I’ve never seen any evidence of them.

Hmm, I can try I’ve never recorded gameplay before…

• @Dog:

Hmm, I can try I’ve never recorded gameplay before…

Shadow-play is best if your GPU supports it, whatever you do pls don’t use fraps lol…

• I have a 650 ti boost will that work?

• @Dog:

I have a 650 ti boost will that work?

It should, just go to your Nvidia control panel to enable shadow play, shouldn’t be to hard to setup…

• Alright I’ll see what I can do….

• @Dog:

Alright I’ll see what I can do….

Aight, let us know how it goes mate…

• Did you say you lose mouse control? That is usually signs of something else going on. Do you have any LEDs on your mouse and or when you lose control does the red glow stop from under your mouse? Also how many USB devices do you have attached? If you have any other type of controller attached to your PC like a joystick or game pad, that can interfere with game movement.

Also try: http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php
    It is a free program that makes sure that all drivers are up to date. I usually dont recommend software but I have been using this along with Advanced System Care Pro and they are great programs.

The thing that makes your issue seem suspicious is that you can achieve smooth animations then something comes along and out of nowhere you are getting animation stuttering. Do you notice the stuttering more profound during heavy combat or when a server is more full than not? How many players can be on a server before the stuttering starts?

In my case I can get the animation stuttering pretty much all the time, Worse off in heavy combat. As far as solutions, I have tried about every INI tweak fix from every UDK game and have had no success thus far. My best guess is the netcode is over loaded and that our PCs are trying to keep up to date player locations, swings traces and animations. I dont believe Chiv is that well optimized net code wise and there is a lot of info to be sent back and forth. Maybe too much. But these are just guesses because it happened when I had a potato PC and still happens now that I have a new I7 and hardware.

• @Terminally:

Tick rate was reset IIRC but nothing else…(I may be wrong still not sure)

Back to 30? Well doesn’t that explain everything?
    Along with the decreased framrate people seem to have gotten with patch 24.

• @B4RK:

Back to 30? Well doesn’t that explain everything?
    Along with the decreased framrate people seem to have gotten with patch 24.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

/10chars

• @Retsnom:

Did you say you lose mouse control? That is usually signs of something else going on. Do you have any LEDs on your mouse and or when you lose control does the red glow stop from under your mouse? Also how many USB devices do you have attached? If you have any other type of controller attached to your PC like a joystick or game pad, that can interfere with game movement.

Also try: http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php
    It is a free program that makes sure that all drivers are up to date. I usually dont recommend software but I have been using this along with Advanced System Care Pro and they are great programs.

The thing that makes your issue seem suspicious is that you can achieve smooth animations then something comes along and out of nowhere you are getting animation stuttering. Do you notice the stuttering more profound during heavy combat or when a server is more full than not? How many players can be on a server before the stuttering starts?

In my case I can get the animation stuttering pretty much all the time, Worse off in heavy combat. As far as solutions, I have tried about every INI tweak fix from every UDK game and have had no success thus far. My best guess is the netcode is over loaded and that our PCs are trying to keep up to date player locations, swings traces and animations. I dont believe Chiv is that well optimized net code wise and there is a lot of info to be sent back and forth. Maybe too much. But these are just guesses because it happened when I had a potato PC and still happens now that I have a new I7 and hardware.

I haven’t noticed the mouse led going out when it happens but I’ve exited out of the game when I was having the issue and my mouse still controls perfectly on the menu screen or if I get on the internet or any other program. I also don’t have any other USB devices connected just my mouse. I’ve experienced this on full servers as well as servers with 2 or 3 other people. I’ve even joined completely empty servers when the issue starts happening and sure enough my animations are just as choppy and my mouse doesn’t respond properly. I just updated my GPU drivers so I don’t think thats the problem I’ve had this issue through a few firmware updates for those.

• Just wanted to let you guys know I didn’t forget about this thread I just haven’t had any issues since I posted this. The next time it happens I’ll do my best to get you guys a video.

Edit: Unfortunately I won’t be able to post a video I was testing Shadowplay out last night and the videos I was getting look just as bad and choppy when I’m not having any animation problems as when I do. I guess my comp isn’t fast enough to run both the game and record at the same time.

• Dog Soldier that is because you haven’t edited the movie in a video edit program, like Windows Live Movie Maker or Sony vegas pro, if you do that I garantee you (if you Shadowplay settings in filming is on HD) it will be HD!!! I had the same problem but I figured it out!

• You can try running something like windows performance monitor (or even perfmon) to write a log of what the cost is doing from a resource perspective.

• Not to resurrect the dead here but I think this is worth an update.

I bought a new higher quality “corded” mouse about a week ago and haven’t had this issue since. That’s not to say I’m sure my previous wireless mouse was the cause but so far I’m optimistic that the new mouse has solved my issue. I do find it strange that I never had a problem with my old mouse outside of chivalry but hey whatever works right….