I remember the archery balance council a long time ago.

• As long as archers don’t flinch on every single hit I think they’d be less annoying, even so they need a damagenerf, pronto.

• heavy crossbow is like throwing a maul at someone every 2 seconds

except it has the longest range in the game and you get a ton of them

• @zombojoe:

heavy crossbow is like throwing a maul at someone every 2 seconds

But even a maul can’t one shot a maa to the torso

• tbs pls

/10ch

• @Le:

But even a maul can’t one shot a maa to the torso

top fuking kek, lol

• thats right but im certain you can kick a MAA to death after a hit

• @Sophax:

I hope but TB has this reputaation of leaving broken things or unbalanced things permanent in their game.

Look at HWS. I don’t get how it is in the game its so ANTI FUN its disgusting.

Archers being retardely OP need a big nerf and change while still being usefull but not necessary.

hws is fun

to use haha

• Mod

@zombojoe:

thats right but im certain you can kick a MAA to death after a hit

Yeah you need a kick if you hit their torso. Annoying with how inconsistent kicks are, goes right through them sometimes and they get a few free hits off.

• Kicks in general need to be addressed, tbs pls.

• Heavy crossbow and warbow need a damage nerf to begin with, at least against armour. Remove the pierceblunt from bodkin and change back to pierce.

Oddly enough the best suggestions actually come from real life archery.

Heavy crossbow should take much longer to reload. Remove the looking up whilst reloading bug/feature.

Bows should require stamina to draw, warbow should drain incredibly quickly making you fire within a second or two of drawing. IRL a warbow is a longbow that has a draw weight well over 100 pounds, you didn’t pull it back and aim for a few seconds, you had to draw and fire in one movement. I’m not calling for that but, there should be a risk vs. reward for using it.

Warbow should be the longest range weapon that requires aiming up a bit to account for range. Crossbow range should probably be reduced a bit. Again both of these changes are realistic and also add balance.

I would see the warbow as the sniper rifle equivalent and the heavy crossbow more like a rocket launcher.

• @Dr:

I would see the warbow as the sniper rifle equivalent and the heavy crossbow more like a rocket launcher.

This for me is where the problem starts. Bows and arrows are not GUNS. I can see why they’ve been implemented that way, chivalry’s history is as a mod for shooters, most if not all first person games are shooters to some degree. If you want your game to have appeal then you need to have that class as an ‘in’, where people can pick something they’re instantly familiar with and play. Thing is they shouldn’t STAY there, they should see what fun the game’s combat is from their perches and graduate to a proper class, not become a game ending ranged terror.

The archery as it stands in Chiv behaves more like rifles in terms of accuracy and effectiveness, and you’re beginning to see why historically everyone gave up on wearing heavy armour and marching towards each other for a big metal scrap. The only way to get anything like a fight on Chiv now is to put an archer limit on the server, and that’s the most telling thing of all.

The best fights happen on No Archer servers, where people get to move freely and focus only on footwork rather than having to run around like a maniac to avoid a headshot from someone they haven’t even seen.

Chivalry had a chance to be the one game where being the asshole sitting in a bush 200 meters from the fight wasn’t an option, and it blew it.

• @McLumberjack:

Chivalry had a chance to be the one game where being the asshole sitting in a bush 200 meters from the fight wasn’t an option, and it blew it.

Pssst… hey kid, want some archery lessons?

• I’m just afraid the stamina draw back of bows will just make everyone switch to using only crossbows, since they get the better mobility, especially if accuracy changes and new arrows. I think these are great ideas, but crossbows are going to need some major changes too. They would have far too many benefits.

• @Dr:

Heavy crossbow and warbow need a damage nerf to begin with, at least against armour. Remove the pierceblunt from bodkin and change back to pierce.

Oddly enough the best suggestions actually come from real life archery.

Heavy crossbow should take much longer to reload. Remove the looking up whilst reloading bug/feature.

Bows should require stamina to draw, warbow should drain incredibly quickly making you fire within a second or two of drawing. IRL a warbow is a longbow that has a draw weight well over 100 pounds, you didn’t pull it back and aim for a few seconds, you had to draw and fire in one movement. I’m not calling for that but, there should be a risk vs. reward for using it.

Warbow should be the longest range weapon that requires aiming up a bit to account for range. Crossbow range should probably be reduced a bit. Again both of these changes are realistic and also add balance.

^ Dingdingding, we have a winrar!

• @SOC:

I’m just afraid the stamina draw back of bows will just make everyone switch to using only crossbows, since they get the better mobility, especially if accuracy changes and new arrows. I think these are great ideas, but crossbows are going to need some major changes too. They would have far too many benefits.

Longer reload times for xbows would be a pretty strong deterrent.

• @dudeface:

Longer reload times for xbows would be a pretty strong deterrent.

Maybe in archer vs archer, but in most other cases you generally have a long amount of time to safely reload. I mean one shot every 5 seconds that potentially can oneshot anyone in the game is pretty strong when you’re comparing it to all the consequences of the new bow ideas. Especially if you’re doing pubs where you can sit back far and safe behind cover with crossbows and you’re not under much pressure to move anyway.

• Don’t get ahead of yourself. The point would be to balance them in such a way that each bow and xbow has it’s uses and potential advantages. You’re just assuming that these theoretical xbows would be that much better.

• @dudeface:

Don’t get ahead of yourself. The point would be to balance them in such a way that each bow and xbow has it’s uses and potential advantages. You’re just assuming that these theoretical xbows would be that much better.

If I’m not mistaken (i.e. correct me if I’m wrong), the intended role of the crossbow in Chivalry is to always have a projectile loaded and ready to fire at a second’s notice- not having to draw back and aim, but being able to move (albeit slower) with an ace in the hole, so to speak. However, with the reload times and ballistics, they seem to have surpassed straightbows in the utility department. There’s almost no reason to use a straightbow anymore- I can usually keep up with my team just as well using the light crossbow as I could using the shortbow.

The standard and heavy crossbows, IMHO, need a longer reload time. The windlass crossbow should be a one-shot-then-melee weapon in most circumstances. The light crossbow’s reloading time seems okay, but with a prod that weak, you’re not going to do much damage (especially against armor) or get much range, especially with a heavy quarrel. I dunno, maybe they should increase the drop-off or something. Reducing the damage further with that weapon seems like a deal breaker.

Just my two cents.

• @dudeface:

Don’t get ahead of yourself. The point would be to balance them in such a way that each bow and xbow has it’s uses and potential advantages. You’re just assuming that these theoretical xbows would be that much better.

You’re probably right, but I’m just worried that most people just seem to think bow archers are the only problem and slapping a longer reload on crossbows is all you have to do. Torn Banner does balancing very slowly so I don’t want archers to just switch to crossbow and be nearly as OP as they are right now for another 2 years while we wait for the next big change to archers. I’m ready for archers to be a fun part of the game than anti-fun.

Also, nothing should ever oneshot knights. Not headshots and not maul overheads to head. Nothing.

• Everything should be like the light xbow. Perfect weapon.