I remember the archery balance council a long time ago.

• @Carolean:

The light crossbow’s reloading time seems okay, but with a prod that weak, you’re not going to do much damage (especially against armor) or get much range,

Yeah sure, except light cross bow one shots every class except knights with head shots….

And a chest shot is still really damaging…

• Light xbow would be great if all the enemy archers weren’t using warbow 100% of the time.

• @Terminally:

Yeah sure, except light cross bow one shots every class except knights with head shots….

And a chest shot is still really damaging…

Really? I had no idea it could one-shot anything above a MAA.

Even then, it’s identical to the warbow as far as practical damage goes (warbow can one-shot anything up to a knight as well) with the ability to carry 35 projectiles (compared to the warbow’s 20), and, if I’m not mistaken, it’s a tad quicker to fire too, and you can move around with a bolt ready to go.

The only downside seems to be the fact that you have to look down to reload, assuming the firing rate compared to the warbow isn’t wrong (I think the crossbow was faster at one point, but a lot of patches have came and went since my heyday).

Correct me if any of this is wrong, good chance it might be. Just coming to terms with Chiv after a few months of not playing.

• @Le:

This is actually a thing. Except… its not supposed to happen. I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve shot the helmets off people during scrims and had it do ZERO DAMAGE.

I’ve seen this happen to me a lot too, but also with throwables.

• Maybe if the crossbows reloaded slower (compared to bows) and dealt a the same amount of high damage while bows got a small damage nerf while keeping their fast fire rate(No more one shot kills with bodkin headshots) then they would make a bit more sense?

• @McLumberjack:

Originally Posted by Dr z0b
    I would see the warbow as the sniper rifle equivalent and the heavy crossbow more like a rocket launcher.

This for me is where the problem starts. Bows and arrows are not GUNS. I can see why they’ve been implemented that way, chivalry’s history is as a mod for shooters, most if not all first person games are shooters to some degree. If you want your game to have appeal then you need to have that class as an ‘in’, where people can pick something they’re instantly familiar with and play. Thing is they shouldn’t STAY there, they should see what fun the game’s combat is from their perches and graduate to a proper class, not become a game ending ranged terror.

The archery as it stands in Chiv behaves more like rifles in terms of accuracy and effectiveness, and you’re beginning to see why historically everyone gave up on wearing heavy armour and marching towards each other for a big metal scrap. The only way to get anything like a fight on Chiv now is to put an archer limit on the server, and that’s the most telling thing of all.

The best fights happen on No Archer servers, where people get to move freely and focus only on footwork rather than having to run around like a maniac to avoid a headshot from someone they haven’t even seen.

Chivalry had a chance to be the one game where being the asshole sitting in a bush 200 meters from the fight wasn’t an option, and it blew it.

Well the rest of my post was actually about historical bows and crossbows and how using those as examples would make archery more balanced. I only threw that sentence in at the end to give a reference to something I thought most people would recognise.

My point was that longbows had much better range than a crossbow but crossbows had more penetrating power and took ages to reload, kind of like a sniper rifle vs. rocket launcher in a FPS.

• @Le:

This is actually a thing. Except… its not supposed to happen. I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve shot the helmets off people during scrims and had it do ZERO DAMAGE.

I’ve died so many times to man at arms when i shoot their helmet off.

god fucking damn it

• I think a good change for Xbows and regular bows would be a longer equip time. It wouldn’t change much but it would just make more sense to me.

Archers could still pull out their dagger quickly for defense if someone was charging them.

Archers could not quickly go from melee combat to ranged combat.

It would help a lot in situations where an archer pulls out his weapon thinking someone is coming for him, but then the charging guy changes his attention elsewhere. This means the archer now has a 4 or 5 second equip time to pull his bow out again or he has to run in a help (and not be a pussy).

I just do not like how seamless it is for an archer to switch between melee and range.

Actually on second thought maybe it should just take longer to switch to AND switch from the bows.
    But that would probably become very frustrating for archers trying to whip out a last second defense (its a good thing…? lol)

• Daggers equips significantly faster than everything else Archers have as far as melee goes. You can actually pull them out last second to block.

• A good start on balancing Xbows would be to finally fix the ability to simply look up before reloading so you can still see what’s going on.

• Personally I don’t see that as a problem.

• @dudeface:

Personally I don’t see that as a problem.

The Xbow looking up thingy? Me neither, but it seems many here find the crossbows the preferred weapon of choice and ‘nerf-worthy’. (please don’t come up with another nerf gun :D)
    Warbow for me all the way though.

• lol. It’s definitely nerf-worthy, but I wouldn’t classify the “looking up exploit” as one of the main problems. I don’t mind people being aware of the battlefield while they reload. Makes perfect sense to me. They still can’t look left and right.

Nerf damage, reload times, etc.

• I absolutely see this as an exploit, if they’d wanted you to look around you’d be able to do that, being vulnerable during the reload period of the crossbow is the downside of the weapon. The animation of a looking up reload is absurd too.

See also: being able to spin around while using the Stoneshill ram. I even saw one guy manage to not only turn but walk off, still using the ram with his mind powers.

• @McLumberjack:

I absolutely see this as an exploit, if they’d wanted you to look around you’d be able to do that, being vulnerable during the reload period of the crossbow is the downside of the weapon. The animation of a looking up reload is absurd too.

Agree.
    @McLumberjack:

See also: being able to spin around while using the Stoneshill ram. I even saw one guy manage to not only turn but walk off, still using the ram with his mind powers.

Mind Powers OP, need a nerf.

• Mod

On slowly dying servers 4 archer limits aren’t enough. I hate the little rat fuckers so much…

• @Tyoson:

On slowly dying servers 4 archer limits aren’t enough. I hate the little rat fuckers so much…

On a 32 person server 4 archers is plenty, thats still 25% of the entire fukin team, now when you have less than that is when it gets annoying again…

cough cough 24 person servers cough

• Yeah, servers need to be able to apply a dynamic limit, so when there’s 8 players on a server each side can only have 1, going up as more people join. It’d also be nice to have a method to change class limits for different maps in the rotation so you could have a normal TO followed by a no archer LTS, an All Knight Free For All, and so on. Whatever the host wants to set up.

• @McLumberjack:

So when there’s 8 players on a server each side can only have 1, going up as more people join.

If you use the current scaling it would be 1 archer per ever[y] 4 people, so 8 players on each side would have 2 archers…

• 8 players on a server I said. 4 a side.