Good news on the lag issues. How to fix:

• Good news for those of you suffering from internet problems/weird lag problems. I made a whole bunch of rage threads highlighting the strange problems I have encountered and now I have pinpointed it down to my router. I have fixed a plethora of issues that I now understand were on my end.

Basically, my router was not giving me enough bandwidth and giving video streaming a shit ton. The instant a person starting watching netflix, I would have extreme issues with packet loss. My ping wouldn’t always go up, but a shit ton of spacewalking occurred. So, what I did was use a feature called Quality of Service.

Quality of Service is a feature that many routers have that will distribute bandwidth in a specified manner amongst the devices connected to it. It is very easy to use this feature.

Step 1: Get to your router’s control panel. Do this by getting your command prompt, entering “ipconfig” and scrolling up until you see “Default Gateway”. Type this number into your web browser. A prompt should ask for your router’s login info. I simply used the name of the network and WPA2 passcode.

Step 2: Find the place on the control panel where QoS is. The location will vary based on router. Check to see if your router can use QoS before doing this.

Step 3: Find the MAC address of every device connected to your network. Enter the MAC addresses into the control panel and set the priorities all to low, while setting your own device’s priority to the maximum.

Step 4: Run pingtest and speedtest to see if it made a difference. The difference it made for me was astronomical.

Good luck! I was able to achieve 20 ping on servers. I have never had ping under 60 before this. I have not experienced any spacewalking or packet loss since the change. The occasional but much less frequent ping spike still occurs, but it resolves itself much more quickly.

I love chivalry again.

Note: I have a linksys E2500 router.

• Shock: other people using your bandwidth ruins your gaming.

• @dudeface:

Shock: other people using your bandwidth ruins your gaming.

MOOOOOOM, stop downloading! I’m playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare!

• “Poopsie pie, why is my Facebook suddenly so slow?”

• @rumpelstiltskin:

MOOOOOOM, stop downloading! I’m playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare!

MOM THE MEAT LOAF

• Glad you got it fixed but no one else is using my net and I get lag since patch 24 I think, so I reckon it’s due to this patch, and I think it’s fps lag, although strangely last night I was apparently getting 120 fps and 20-30 ping, and still seeing a lot of stuttering animations, teleporting etc.

I used to play at highest settings no trouble, but now even on lowest it makes no difference, still lag. Comp is I5 @3.6Ghz, 7950 gfx card, 8gig ram, should be able to handle this…

Wish TB would fix this, because it’s not just me that has this issue recently.

• Mod

Wish my Router had a QoS function but it doesn’t. It’s all FPS that causes me problems though.

• @Tyoson:

Wish my Router had a QoS function but it doesn’t. It’s all FPS that causes me problems though.

Just tell your mom to stop watching soap operas on her laptop.

• Thanks Jimmy, this is helpful.

• This feature might be called something else or just not exist at all depending on what router you use. Routers aren’t as evil as a lot of gamers think they are, but if you want to be safe, just use a wired connection.

• Jimmy’s mom: why can’t I stream videos from netflix anymore?

Gonna be fun.

• @Xylvion:

Jimmy’s mom: why can’t I stream videos from netflix anymore?

Gonna be fun.

The bandwith PRIORITY will be set to high. Jimmy’s mom will have plenty of bandwith for her netflix. Just not hog it all like it did before.

There’s sexual innuendo somewhere in there.

• lmao, should be helpful I guess…

• Actually gonna try this out now since I’m on wifi at my cousins place, wonder if it will work…

• I had this feature on my router when I was in London. Helpful for when my flatmates were torrenting.

• Yeah guys I know it sounds like I didn’t know that bandwidth was the problem, but I was just in denial of it. I kept thinking “it has to be something else” because I didn’t want to think that I couldn’t fix my bandwidth. I thought that if it was me, nothing would be able to fix it. Luckily my clanmate told me to try this.

• i don’t think this will help me as i’m the only one that uses my router and i use ethernet. :(

• @JimmyTryhard:

Good news for those of you suffering from internet problems/weird lag problems. I made a whole bunch of rage threads highlighting the strange problems I have encountered and now I have pinpointed it down to my router. I have fixed a plethora of issues that I now understand were on my end.

Basically, my router was not giving me enough bandwidth and giving video streaming a shit ton. The instant a person starting watching netflix, I would have extreme issues with packet loss. My ping wouldn’t always go up, but a shit ton of spacewalking occurred. So, what I did was use a feature called Quality of Service.

Quality of Service is a feature that many routers have that will distribute bandwidth in a specified manner amongst the devices connected to it. It is very easy to use this feature.

Step 1: Get to your router’s control panel. Do this by getting your command prompt, entering “ipconfig” and scrolling up until you see “Default Gateway”. Type this number into your web browser. A prompt should ask for your router’s login info. I simply used the name of the network and WPA2 passcode.

Step 2: Find the place on the control panel where QoS is. The location will vary based on router. Check to see if your router can use QoS before doing this.

Step 3: Find the MAC address of every device connected to your network. Enter the MAC addresses into the control panel and set the priorities all to low, while setting your own device’s priority to the maximum.

Step 4: Run pingtest and speedtest to see if it made a difference. The difference it made for me was astronomical.

Good luck! I was able to achieve 20 ping on servers. I have never had ping under 60 before this. I have not experienced any spacewalking or packet loss since the change. The occasional but much less frequent ping spike still occurs, but it resolves itself much more quickly.

I love chivalry again.

Note: I have a linksys E2500 router.

I am glad that my info was of value to you and that you were able to solve the lag issues. I had a feeling it was on your end and not an issue with Chiv.

Now the stutteing and FPS is another issue that many are having to deal with. I think I have found some solutions that will help others. I will be posting about it soon. still doing some testing.

• Don’t notice anything different much at my cousins house when he is steaming netflix…

Oh well…

• @Retsnom:

I am glad that my info was of value to you and that you were able to solve the lag issues. I had a feeling it was on your end and not an issue with Chiv.

Now the stutteing and FPS is another issue that many are having to deal with. I think I have found some solutions that will help others. I will be posting about it soon. still doing some testing.

Don’t take credit here. Your info was common sense and didn’t help me at all. I’m sorry, but that’s just how it is. I was able to fix my internet thanks to my clanmate Killendel.

But hard feelings aside, I’m glad you are making the effort to attempt to help people in need. Thanks.