Parry Drain

• please make it lower

• Current parry drain destroys defensive playstyles.

• I disagree when you say " There is literally zero skill about outstaming someone and stundazing him and killing him. "
    There is certainly some skill in winning a stamina war.

But I do agree stamina is over all too low. In a normal battle it takes < 10 seconds to have < half stam, which essentially leaves you defenseless looking for an escape.

I don’t think a static parry drain is good though. I like that big weapons cost more to parry.

I dunno.

Hard problem with no easy answer.

• @CRUSHED:

-Changes the games name from Stamina Manager 2014 to Chivalry Medieval Warfare

Best argument :D

• I couldn’t agree more with this.

• @CRUSHED:

There is literally zero skill about outstaming someone and stundazing him and killing him.

Thats how I duel with maul.

Honestly though I’m okay with this as long as parrying a maul drains does like 20ish stamina damage. Its no fun to watch an archer with a dagger parry your maul repeatedly lol.

• I agree that the parry stamina drain is stupid. Even if there is stamina drain on parry it should be way way way less. More like in early days, and IF it’s like that, then daze shouldn’t be so long that you get a free hit on someone. Instead you shouldn’t be able to attack for a bit maybe, giving the opponent and opportunity for a free attempt (not hit) that you have the opportunity to try to parry.

And as crushed said this is stupid in duels, but it’s even more stupid in TO. You can’t fight more than 1-2 people at a time even if they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below your skill level just becasue you run out of stamina so damn quickly. Exception being if you’re a maa or if your playstyle evolves around running around in third person looking into the ground to avoid having to block hits in the first place, but this really isn’t effective in scrims nor is it a fun playstyle, it feels like a workaround to how the game was ment to be played.

• I think it may be important for parry stamina drain to still be a thing to some degree. But you do run out of stamina waayy too quickly in the current build, yes, and that’s much due to the stamina drain on parries. The numbers suggested in the OP seem a bit drastic to impose at this point, imo.
    I’d personally want something along the lines of half the current stamina drain on parries for all classes, and only 1/4th for Knights so they can have the ability written in the class description. Maybe larger overall stamina pool too, but then I’d like to see slower default regen with still standing crouch for faster regen.

• This post is deleted!

• Didn’t you make this thread before?
    Anyways, I completely agree.

• This is one of those things people will miss when it’s gone. Hope TB are smarter than this.

The longer a fight goes on the more likely it will be ended by a third party. You’ll go from fights that are decided by stamina to fights that are decided by getting shanked in the back.

The only place this won’t matter is duel, and if this change is made then that’s the only mode it should apply to.

• I agree to some extent, the problem might be that shields will be able to block forever and bypassing a good shielduser without draining their stamina is close to impossible. A lower drain for parrying is a good idea though and 1vN would be a lot more fun, missed strikes and feints would still drain the same stamina while you’re not punished for parrying. This would also make the 1.8 second flinch be more of your own fault because you waste stamina in ways other than blocking, i.e missing strikes.

• Shields use a different mechanic then parry drain, but shields are a completely different problem and need something else really

• @McLumberjack:

This is one of those things people will miss when it’s gone. Hope TB are smarter than this.

The longer a fight goes on the more likely it will be ended by a third party. You’ll go from fights that are decided by stamina to fights that are decided by getting shanked in the back.

The only place this won’t matter is duel, and if this change is made then that’s the only mode it should apply to.

Dueling is poor play in a TO in live game. You’re asking to get ganked. Fight with your team. Tweaking parry stam drain wouldn’t change this.

• @Karasu:

Dueling is poor play in a TO in live game. You’re asking to get ganked. Fight with your team. Tweaking parry stam drain wouldn’t change this.

While I agree the best way is to get in with the team it’s not like 1v1s don’t occur naturally. When they do you want a game mechanic that ensures they’re settled in a timely fashion, otherwise it’s going to be settled by an outside force which is unsatisfying for both sides.

For a team fight you don’t need extra stamina. You need to pull back and let your allies take over while you catch your breath, and then do the same for them. That’s good team play, and reducing stamina demand would kill that element.

• @McLumberjack:

While I agree the best way is to get in with the team it’s not like 1v1s don’t occur naturally. When they do you want a game mechanic that ensures they’re settled in a timely fashion, otherwise it’s going to be settled by an outside force which is unsatisfying for both sides.

For a team fight you don’t need extra stamina. You need to pull back and let your allies take over while you catch your breath, and then do the same for them. That’s good team play, and reducing stamina demand would kill that element.

Feints end 1v1s quicker than stamina. Ganking wouldn’t be unsatisfying for both ends. It’s satisfying for the team who communicates better.

I think the concern for the parry drain wasn’t teamfights, but to make 1vn more viable. Which in comp right now it’s way too routine.

• I agree as well. But I think heavy weapons should drain a bit more than just 7 stam. More like 10-12.

• http://youtu.be/7L8ByreRfUo?t=1m51s

Look how satisfied he is. Thank you spearman, for assisting me.

I think you’re thinking in terms of comp while I’m thinking pubs. Having an emergent Epic Contest of Skill and Wits ended by a helpful mob of nobodies isn’t great, I barely even appreciate it when I know the guy.

Stamina represents a natural finish line for both players while feints are just one in a bag of tricks to end the fight by something called ‘winning’. You may as well say fights are ended quicker by hitting each other.

1vN would be better served by the adrenaline boost for killing, as under discussion right now in another thread (though it’s been brought up before, of course). Any straight boost that applies to the 1 is equally applicable to the mob (if not N times more applicable), and won’t really change anything.

• The longer a fight goes on the more likely it will be ended by a third party. You’ll go from fights that are decided by stamina to fights that are decided by getting shanked in the back.

No this will allow to fight 1vs2 etc, being attacked in the back is something fuking rare unless your placement is bad and you play 95fov of course, lol.

• On the subject of 1vN: I’d rather see team flinch come back, as a server option if not across the game as a whole.