The Ultimate feint fix

• Feints on two handers are definitely possible to react to

I have two words for you you stupid motherfucker

Prove it

• When i went to that LG Duels server last time, nobody could read my feints lol.

• Except feints aren’t random at all. If they were we wouldn’t see players like Mike Oxlong read nearly every single feint thrown his way and win nearly every single feint duel.

I’d like to see a video or the guy reading feint ingame, thats pretty weird but some weeks ago before the patch, when feint were actually more readable, a lot of discussion on this forum give me the impression than no ones could read feint in US and that the meta game was totally different from EU but now apparently you have some inhuman beast who read it all, personally i think, dubaxe, gm weapon like this are readable but sow, LS now, no way.

Also to omega, this fix is not meant to make feint to easy to read but simply constantly readable if you have the skill for it and right now i don’t think there is anyone in EU who can read sow feints lolz.

• @CRUSHED:

When i went to that LG Duels server last time, nobody could read my feints lol.

At 160 ping? lol

• @Edmund:

I’d like to see a video or the guy reading feint ingame, thats pretty weird but some weeks ago before the patch, when feint were actually more readable, a lot of discussion on this forum give me the impression than no ones could read feint in US and that the meta game was totally different from EU but now apparently you have some inhuman beast who read it all, personally i think, dubaxe, gm weapon like this are readable but sow, LS now, no way.

Also to omega, this fix is not meant to make feint to easy to read but simply constantly readable if you have the skill for it and right now i don’t think there is anyone in EU who can read sow feints lolz.

Feinting is definitely looked down on more in NA and not many have gotten very good at reading. But I know of maybe a couple dozen of high skill players that can read feints pretty consistently here. Sword stab feints are very hard, I’ll agree. But myself and others can read them. I have no problem with something that I can’t read every time.

• I thought by now I shouldn’t have to remind people to not insult others.

It’s one of the forum rules to not insult/attack others. Please refrain from doing so and if you have a problem with someone, take it to the PMs.

• @Nohbdy111:

LOLWUT, he “reads” fucking 50%. Feints are entirely random, fucking give it up you keep making yourself look more and more fucking retarded.

Quit being toxic. Have fun being banned.

• @Omega:

Sword stab feints are very hard, I’ll agree. But myself and others can read them.

Wait, what

• Still gonna need to see that ingame lol, i was to on LG servers like 2 weeks ago (with steve piggott name), i was dueling a guy, read 2 grandmace feint and it was clayton i think, he was like “OMFG WTFF beautiful, ure a monster” so it doesn’t seem to be common to read feint in US, but why not teach me lol.

• @Omega:

Feinting is definitely looked down on more in NA and not many have gotten very good at reading. But I know of maybe a couple dozen of high skill players that can read feints pretty consistently here. Sword stab feints are very hard, I’ll agree. But myself and others can read them. I have no problem with something that I can’t read every time.

How the fuck are we supposed to get this into your thick monkey skull? You. Can’t. Reliably. “Read”. Feints.

• @Omega:

Feints are within human reaction time. It is completely possible to wait for their attack to be almost out of wind-up, see the feint, and not parry or attack after they feint. I and many others have done this literally hundreds of times. Prediction is also an important element of this, and many people rely only on predicting or guessing to punish or defend against feints. I rely on prediction to give me the composure to wait for a feint and then react to it. They are unquestionably possible to react to, at least for two handers. I can also call one hander feints, but less successfully.

Feints are meant to work, otherwise what is the point of having them in the game? If someone could defend against any attack 100% of the time, the game would come down to hit trading and stamina drain, as Retsnom stated. The game in its current state allows for mindgames, prediction, swing manipulation and footwork all in one seamless combat system. It is mostly reaction based, but there are certainly elements that are extremely difficult to deal with on mechanical skill alone. This is so people can outsmart their opponent and adds another layer of skill in the game.

And I’m not saying you can’t I’m saying to actually react to something it actually has to have happened first. Using the word react is just bad english. I almost thought people were somehow actually reacting to feints. But no they were just doing what I do which is just wait until they swing then carry on playing as normal. That isn’t reacting to anything. Its essentially just not panicking. Don’t give yourself too much credit when literally succeeded in doing nothing. I don’t.

And who parries or attacks after they see a feint?? New players who are very defensive or people who panic. Doing it before a feint well we all do that at some stage. When you are merrily pub stomping and them run into someone who feints well or someone go played the training, is rank 0 but learnt to feint. Even just changing targets. You are up against someone who likes accelerating their attacks which can get you to start parrying early then the next guy 3 seconds later feints you. But that’s fine as you say feints are meant to work.

• Omega is dead on balls right. Feints are not random. That is impossible. Three buttons need to be pressed in order for a feint to execute and be successful. One is the attack and the other is two cancel that attack and the third is to attack again. There is nothing random about it. What is random is your enemy mixing up their attack patterns and fight style to fool you. If they are successful, it appears random to you because you have failed to maintain distance and anticipate a feint.

You cannot lose to a face hugging feint OH if you don’t allow your enemy to face hug you in the first place. Sorry but it is really that simple. I do everything in my power to not allow being face hugged.

It is like playing poker. The more hands you play, the more patterns you see. The more patterns you see the more ability you have to deal with any situation.

While some feints are harder to deal with, the problems lie far more in weapon speeds and balance and the actual parry system and not being able to parry on demand.

I have commented that there are a shit ton of attack options but defending options are incredibly limited. You either keep distance, grab a shield or are victim of a one size fits all parry mechanic that is limited and flawed in both timing and animation. I have also shown how the parry window can lag behind when you turn (see epic bubble parry post of mine). You can never be sure when it is active and when it isnt. Many times you cannot parry on demand. After certain attacks or combos you are locked out and cannot parry.

Instead of nerfing a viable legit tactic, why not fix the parry mechanic and the flinch why we are at it?

• You. Can’t. Reliably. “Read”. Feints.

But there are players who can :P

• @Nohbdy111:

How the fuck are we supposed to get this into your thick monkey skull? You. Can’t. Reliably. “Read”. Feints.

If you could reliably read them there would be no point in using them. It is possible, with skill and composure, to read over 50% of feints, depending on the range and weapon.

• Strange.

Usually when someone gets banned its also somehow my fault so I get banned too.

• @Nohbdy111:

Thick skulls? When are you going to realize that feints are not meant to be “read” reliably? It is your skills and experience that should help you avoid falling victim of them?

• @Omega:

If you could reliably read them there would be no point in using them. It is possible, with skill and composure, to read over 50% of feints, depending on the range and weapon.

And the circumstances. Depending on what their play style is like ow who you were up against a few seconds before. If you were up against people who like accelerated attacks then someone who likes feints its a bit hard to suddenly adjust.

• Repost from another thread, Dr. Nick saying feints are broken because of faceugging. My reply:

That’s only true if you let the enemy approach you with the intent of parrying him. You should never allow an enemy take the initiative. You should attempt to strike first, and if necessary feint to parry. Most video games favor aggression, as they should. The attacker should have an advantage because they are taking the risk. The person that is passive and just wants to parry should never have the advantage. That’s one of the main reasons feints are in the game and are necessary for the fundamental aspects of combat within Chivalry.

There are many ways to counter feints and aggression. Attack first, kick, attack and feint after they attack to try to bypass their feint to parry. Or just simply read the feint. If you want to remain defensive you should have do something difficult like reading a feint in order to be able to parry unpunished. Combat in Chivalry favors quick action and taking control. There are many things that cause an exchange of initiative. The key is to gain initiative first and try to maintain it, and if you lose it regain it as quickly as possible. Without this dynamic, combat would be slow and lack skill in my opinion. Chivalry requires quick reactions, nerves of steel and mindgames.

• Finally that guy got banned.