I found the SoW

• Hehe… cool. Expensive, but cool. Spitting image of the SoW that we all know and hate/love.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DSA1352BR&name=Darksword+Two+Handed+Danish+Sword

• If it is actual fight ready, that is actually a decent price. Shipping is what will kill you. I have paid more for combat worthy swords in the past.

• Adding to my wish list…

• A hair under fifty inches, and it’s still under three pounds. That’s gotta be a pretty good-handling sword.

• @Carolean:

A hair under fifty inches, and it’s still under three pounds. That’s gotta be a pretty good-handling sword.

BUT SWORDS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE BIG ANND HEAVY!!! HURR DURR

• @Terminally:

NOT KATANAS. KATANAS CAN CUT THROUGH MACHINE GUN BARRELS AND LIGHTSABER BLADES.

• @Retsnom:

If it is actual fight ready, that is actually a decent price. Shipping is what will kill you. I have paid more for combat worthy swords in the past.

Well, Darksword Armory seems to have a pretty good reputation- I’d imagine it’s usable for serious cutting, but from what I understand, stage combat is the most rigorous use a sword undergoes nowadays.

Might not be expensive compared to Albions or Atrims, but about the best sword I can afford is the cheaper end of Windlass Steelcrafts. I’ve had my eye on the Sticklestad Viking Sword for a while now, but their Ulfberht replica looks nice as well, despite the spelling on the blade.

I love Viking swords (mainly because I love Vikings in general), but I’m not particularly strong, and as such I prefer lighter longswords like the one in the OP. For me, gripping a sword with two hands just makes it come alive.

• @Terminally:

Have fun carrying a maul around.

• Gotta get ready for dat zombie-breakout/military-uprising son…

• @zombojoe:

Have fun carrying a maul around.

Carrying it around would be a bitch, but being able to actually swing that fast enough to do any damage to a target that doesn’t want to be hit is nigh impossible.

• @Carolean:

Carrying it around would be a bitch, but being able to actually swing that fast enough to do any damage to a target that doesn’t want to be hit is nigh impossible.

I too, grew up in the middle ages, the time of knights and mauls…

• @Carolean:

Well, Darksword Armory seems to have a pretty good reputation- I’d imagine it’s usable for serious cutting, but from what I understand, stage combat is the most rigorous use a sword undergoes nowadays.

Might not be expensive compared to Albions or Atrims, but about the best sword I can afford is the cheaper end of Windlass Steelcrafts. I’ve had my eye on the Sticklestad Viking Sword for a while now, but their Ulfberht replica looks nice as well, despite the spelling on the blade.

I love Viking swords (mainly because I love Vikings in general), but I’m not particularly strong, and as such I prefer lighter longswords like the one in the OP. For me, gripping a sword with two hands just makes it come alive.

Well I can tell you first hand that there is no reason to buy a sword if it is not combat ready. The reasons behind this are simple. Craftsmanship.

Having fought with many weapons and made quite a few myself, nothing is better than a truly functional sword, even if you are just going to hang it on your wall. Knowing that you could take it down and slice through an intruder makes me smile. If you actually get into training with it, then you and your skills become a matter of pride and confidence.

I encourage all forum members to seek out sword groups in your area, fencing, SCA (ugh but they can still be cool), fighting groups and even ren fairs. You will learn a lot about weapons and get an understanding as to why many of my opinions are based in real life instead of the fantasy. You are either a real fan or you are a casual. But knowledge is power.

• @Retsnom:

Well I can tell you first hand that there is no reason to buy a sword if it is not combat ready. The reasons behind this are simple. Craftsmanship.

Having fought with many weapons and made quite a few myself, nothing is better than a truly functional sword, even if you are just going to hang it on your wall. Knowing that you could take it down and slice through an intruder makes me smile. If you actually get into training with it, then you and your skills become a matter of pride and confidence.

I encourage all forum members to seek out sword groups in your area, fencing, SCA (ugh but they can still be cool), fighting groups and even ren fairs. You will learn a lot about weapons and get an understanding as to why many of my opinions are based in real life instead of the fantasy. You are either a real fan or you are a casual. But knowledge is power.

I’d love to get into some combat or German schools of fencing, but alas, my area has only various Asiatic martial arts schools and a single Kendo dojo.

I’m deeply fascinated with swords, their design, use, history, and the idea of owning one, but I doubt if I’ll ever really train with one. The only thing that could be considered a “sword” that I own is a Condor Bush Cutlass. Certainly a functional tool, but it’s more of a machete shaped like a sword, and handles as such. At one point, I committed myself to learning several longsword stances (The Fool, The Roof, The Ox, The Plow) with a wooden waster, but with only pictures from the ARMA to go off of, it ended up feeling empty and “hollow”, for lack of a better term. I now devote myself full time to the art of the longbow.

Maybe one day…

Rest assured, however, I will never spend a dollar on a stainless steel wallhanger.

• Swords are for pussies.

Warhammers are man weapons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhknaG9ifbs&feature=player_detailpage#t=21

• I like the looks of these Cold Steel swords. Very simple, no fussy stuff.
    Not that I would ever spend hundreds on a sword.

• @dudeface:

I like the looks of these Cold Steel swords. Very simple, no fussy stuff.
    Not that I would ever spend hundreds on a sword.

Sure, Cold Steel swords are simple.

They are also not very good if you want to actually use one of them. They are what sword enthusiastics classify as “beaters”, durable and cuts but the balance is not good and the sword is way too heavy.

Great wallhangers tho’.

• I have no use for swords, but when it comes to knives and hatchets and whatnot I do appreciate durability.

• @dudeface:

I have no use for swords, but when it comes to knives and hatchets and whatnot I do appreciate durability.

And that is the difference between weaponsmiths and common blacksmiths.

• @Kreittis:

And that is the difference between weaponsmiths and common blacksmiths.

Irl I imagine I would be an old time beggar if I was back in medieval times…

• @Kreittis:

Sure, Cold Steel swords are simple.

They are also not very good if you want to actually use one of them. They are what sword enthusiastics classify as “beaters”, durable and cuts but the balance is not good and the sword is way too heavy.

Great wallhangers tho’.

Cold Steel’s videos are hysterical though.