Do you like the new maps?

• Coldfront

Well its kinda to big for 24 players. Lots of running, not lot of fighting. Looks nice but many are complaining about lag.

Outpost

I like this one better. That part in the forest with the cart is really cool with the mist. Looks very dark and medieval. But the last part is totaly confusing. The cheiftains running around and the tower taking is like wtf. We need a banner to be raised or some sign to know whats going on.

But I like new content. I hope they upgrade and fix these maps a bit. Its always fun to play new maps.

• Global Moderator

Well that’s why you play in servers than can play with 32 players without shitting themselves. Then cold front becomes a lot better. Except for the last objective but that only fails because people are blind. Or possibly retarded. Half the defenders think you have to stay in the throne room even when the game says to go to the boat, there’s a marker on the boat, people are saying to go the boat and the king I shelling follow me over and over. And then the defenders next game said they had no idea what they were doing.

• Coldfront
    Nice map, absolutely amazing atmosphere and somewhat of an equivalent to Citadel.
    Completely opposite environment, opposite factions, same kind of invasion feel… and sadly the same FPS and lag issues.
    But really, I can’t stress enough how great the ambience and atmosphere is in this map.

I feel bad for not making it to the ships last time I became king in this map, though. After figuring the objective out we were already sort of surrounded, and the distance between the right castle ladder exit and the docks became flooded with Masons.

**Outpost
    **Another nice atmosphere. The second objective does a really good job at surrounding the cart with enemy spawns, adding some kind of “surprise attack” feel. The blue fog also looks beautiful, too bad it’s not there with my low-budget-videocard-friendly settings.
    It’s not okay however, how the third objective allows all kind of spawncamping. And as far as the Chieftan AI goes for the fourth objective… Torn Banner pls.

• I get monster CPU lag on Coldfront. Most other maps my Game time is around 8 to 10ms, but on coldfront it rockets up above 25ms.

• Global Moderator

Spawn camping isn’t really an issue when there isn’t LMGs and sniper rifles involved.

• Even though I made a thread saying Coldfront looks… shall we say unfinished, I really do.

The siege mechanics of Coldfront are really great, it’s one of the few maps where destroying an enemies siege engines is actually a long lasting bonus and they don’t just pop back into existence a moment later. Visually it needs work, and some optimisation, but the objectives are sound. Biggest change for me would be the snow. The particle effect from citadel would be better (but swapping ash for snowflakes, obv).

Outpost is the other way around. It looks really very nice at times (with the exception of possibly being too grey on the final stage), but the objectives are very hit and miss. The tents are too easy to defend, but after that I can’t help but feel it’s too easy for attackers. Once the tents go it’s a rout. Some changes:

1. Some hard defences on the wagon path that need to be smashed down, like the king escape on Coldfront.
    2. A look at the spawns on the barrier ambush objective. Perhaps if masons spawned behind the barrier rather than to the sides, so Agathians have to smash it down while enemies pour over and out of it, a bit like Stoneshill’s ram stage.
    3. Player controlled Chieftains, maybe two. The AI is just too dumb.

• @lemonater47:

Spawn camping isn’t really an issue when there isn’t LMGs and sniper rifles involved.

Spawn camping is always an issue when opposite teams have access to each other’s spawns.

And even though they’re not helping the objective, it gets annoying damn fast when 3-5 Vanguards are “Claymore LMB’ing” through your spawn.

• Oh and one final thing: The objective markers are hideous and feel very placeholder-y. I hope they’re on the block for updating like the CTF and friend icons were a few patches back.

Shields and swords for defend/attack respectively would look good, perhaps with a tooltip of what to do and their progress when you look directly at them. The UI is getting far too cluttered.

• Not really, these new maps have horrible last objectives.
    1. Defending dumb AI NPCs
    2. Running away as king, which is a suicide. Most of them time king just stays in throne room so it’s stoneshill all over again but even harder for mason.

They feel unfinished and unpolished, much like some custom made maps.

Torn Banner will never make map as good as darkforest or stoneshill again.

• Unpolished maybe, they definitely need some optimization.

I found that the running away as king only allows for actually playing the game when doing so as soon as the objective starts. If you wait a while, you’ll rely solely on your team to clear the area of Masons for you to escape, which is not how it should work.
    Still a very good objective though.

But good lord… the size increase. Both maps are bigger than the other maps(with a possible exception being Dark Forest), but have even fewer detail. Coldfront’s throneroom only has a carpet, a few banners and 2 symmetrical tables, and the rest of the hall is utter emptiness.

I really hope Torn Banner will expand to this, and more so, adds a few extra rooms to the castle. Right now it’s the throneroom and a few tiny corridors before you’re already outside in the snow again. I was really hoping for something grand like the “Escape with the Holy Grail”-objective from Massivechaos’ Neuschwanstein map.

Outpost’s final objective on the other hand has the right amount of detail, but the map overall could use some more tall grass/other forms of ground cover. Right now it has a few bushes, but there are still many pale dirt spots on the map.

• I love Coldfront I just wish they could optimize it some so people could play with better fps. I like outpost I just think they need to completely re-think the final objective. Relying on the AI especially for a final objective just seems silly to me.

• Outpost first objective needs the Agatha Vanguard ‘on fire’ screaming noises when burning a tent.

• I really like them both. I think Cold Front is an amazingly fun map and I love the second objective. It seems like when you got a solid defense though, it’s just like many other TOs in pubs: defense will always win unless attacking team somehow manages to coordinate to an unreasonable level in pubs. I think destroying the door or letting down the gate sounds cool, but it ends up just being about destroying the gate since it’s way easier. I want to like the siege tower part more because it’s so much fun and epic in White Nest but it feels pretty weak and unnecessary for this map since destroying the gate is pretty much all that matters. I also don’t like how you can jump off the top of it onto the ramparts before it’s finished pushing, doesn’t make it feel nearly as epic. I think the gate needs to have wayyyyyyyyy more HP and resistance to the balista and catapult. I think it’s fun having a priority on taking out people on the enemy ballistae and catapult, but it just makes capturing the gatehouse cranks too unattractive compared to just destroying the gate all the time. The final objective, well I’ve never managed to reach it when I play defense so I’ve only seen it as attacking team so far. I don’t know if the game counts as a win for defense if the king just manages to survive or not, it seems like that would be a much better option than trying to make it to the boats. And I also don’t know if the spawn push backs when king reaches certain lines is for the rest of the game or if attacking team re-pushes back. It sounds like a fun objective though so we should just see how it is over time. Yeah the FPS drops suck though, so it certainly needs more optimization. I can’t ever play on it since no one wants to play on it because of the FPS.

Outpost is really fun too but it seems way too easy to attack on. I’m glad to have an attack focused map, but the objective timers need tweaking. The first objective should probably match the Stoneshill first objective at least, because the run from Mason spawn to the torches/tents is very short compared to many of the other game’s objectives. I think it also needs to shorter on just about every other objective too for the same reasons. Also, the ballista can be shot into Agatha spawn which isn’t okay and it does way too much damage to the gate objective. Chieftans need better AIs, or pick 2 players to become chieftans. Taking the tower needs to be more enticing compared to killing the AIs which is way too easy, but not by nerfing the tower, just by making the chieftan obj better in comparision. Also, the AIs don’t seem to regen health.

I guess maybe it’s too early to tell but these are my impressions so far.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Not really, these new maps have horrible last objectives.
    1. Defending dumb AI NPCs
    2. Running away as king, which is a suicide. Most of them time king just stays in throne room so it’s stoneshill all over again but even harder for mason.

I agree the AI NPCs does not work - 2 players spawning as chieftains would be well cool.

Yesterday we succeeded getting the king to safety and it was a lot of fun.

• @SOC:

I really like them both. I think Cold Front is an amazingly fun map and I love the second objective. It seems like when you got a solid defense though, it’s just like many other TOs in pubs: defense will always win unless attacking team somehow manages to coordinate to an unreasonable level in pubs. I think destroying the door or letting down the gate sounds cool, but it ends up just being about destroying the gate since it’s way easier. I want to like the siege tower part more because it’s so much fun and epic in White Nest but it feels pretty weak and unnecessary for this map since destroying the gate is pretty much all that matters. I also don’t like how you can jump off the top of it onto the ramparts before it’s finished pushing, doesn’t make it feel nearly as epic. I think the gate needs to have wayyyyyyyyy more HP and resistance to the balista and catapult. I think it’s fun having a priority on taking out people on the enemy ballistae and catapult, but it just makes capturing the gatehouse cranks too unattractive compared to just destroying the gate all the time. The final objective, well I’ve never managed to reach it when I play defense so I’ve only seen it as attacking team so far. I don’t know if the game counts as a win for defense if the king just manages to survive or not, it seems like that would be a much better option than trying to make it to the boats. And I also don’t know if the spawn push backs when king reaches certain lines is for the rest of the game or if attacking team re-pushes back. It sounds like a fun objective though so we should just see how it is over time. Yeah the FPS drops suck though, so it certainly needs more optimization. I can’t ever play on it since no one wants to play on it because of the FPS.

Outpost is really fun too but it seems way too easy to attack on. I’m glad to have an attack focused map, but the objective timers need tweaking. The first objective should probably match the Stoneshill first objective at least, because the run from Mason spawn to the torches/tents is very short compared to many of the other game’s objectives. I think it also needs to shorter on just about every other objective too for the same reasons. Also, the ballista can be shot into Agatha spawn which isn’t okay and it does way too much damage to the gate objective. Chieftans need better AIs, or pick 2 players to become chieftans. Taking the tower needs to be more enticing compared to killing the AIs which is way too easy, but not by nerfing the tower, just by making the chieftan obj better in comparision. Also, the AIs don’t seem to regen health.

I guess maybe it’s too early to tell but these are my impressions so far.

Agatha loses if the King fails to escape. It indicates that in the Objective VO and text.

• @Andrew:

Agatha loses if the King fails to escape. It indicates that in the Objective VO and text.

A lot of times king just stays in the throne room since there is no real “benefit” from winning and last objective itself is pretty hard. So it’s like stoneshill last objective for over 20 minutes. I tried to run for it as a king once or twice, pretty much impossible with semi-even teams. It’s just much more fun to stay in the throne room, even if you lose in the end. It sucks if you’re playing mason and agatha does that though, that’s why I always play defense.

• Mod

I like the new maps BUT. Coldfront’s framedrop isn’t worth hanging around for. So I leave the server. Dropping to 25 FPS isn’t fun. Outpost’s final objective just feels broken to me. The chieftains are just far too stupid and I’ve never seen it successfully defended.

• Yeh. What’s the dealio with the CPU usage?

• Performance is fine for me on full settings, well over 60 fps at all times, but then again i actually spent something resembling money to build my pc, and spent it on good hardware, not an overpriced dell laptop with intel hd graphics from Best Buy.

(costed 650$ in december 2011, 560 ti 448 core and an i3, recently upgraded to an i5 3500k)

Most people would consider this cheap for a pc that can play games at decent settings and fps though.

And yes, i like the new maps! GJ TB.

• Mod

@Psyfon:

Performance is fine for me on full settings, well over 60 fps at all times, but then again i actually spent something resembling money to build my pc, and spent it on good hardware, not an overpriced dell laptop with intel hd graphics from Best Buy.

(costed 650$ in december 2011, 560 ti 448 core and an i3, recently upgraded to an i5 3500k)

Most people would consider this cheap for a pc that can play games at decent settings and fps though.

And yes, i like the new maps! GJ TB.

I don’t even know you and I already hate you. Well played American.