The perfect playstyle, immune to feints and handle hits?

• Inspired by Retsnom. (monsteR backwards)

We all know what he spouts constantly. Keep distance, keep distance. He is right in many ways, however.

I have imagined this playstyle, and I want you all to point out the flaws. Retsnom didn’t tell me this himself, I just imagined this. I know, its a huge wall of text, but it’s really detailed.

This is what I am thinking:

• Using a long vanguard weapon would help, knockback and range advantage

• The key is to maintain distance EVEN WHILE ATTACKING. For example, when you want to attack with a stab, don’t always try to facehug stab them. Use defensive footwork, back away if needed so that you will only hit with the very tip of your stab. This takes away your own block bypass potential, but it allows you to set yourself up to defend against the opponent’s return swing. Never end your swing in facehug range except when comboing.

• An alternate to the above, you can still facehug attack but you should immediately start backing away as soon as your swing connects with the enemy. You don’t lose offensive potential, but you can still have some small degree of defensive setup. (Although you won’t be as effective in defending the return swing as you would if you backed away during the swing before connection)

• When an enemy parries you, this is a critical moment to watch. If the enemy ripostes, riposte back, or use the time to do a drag. Do not wait too long, or the enemy could trade you. Taking control of the situation is critical here. You must have the initiative to move first. If against a hittrading weapon (gmace lookdowns), then riposte more frequently and only occasionally use a drag. You don’t want the opponent assuming he can always trade.

• Feinting is a huge burnout of stamina. With this playstyle, you must feint conservatively as your main offense is a good defense. Feint when taking the offensive opportunity occasionally, as the enemy can attack you during your feint. Using feints will dramatically affect your opponent psychologically, so be prepared for those who react aggressively to feints. Feinting should usually only be used if the enemy starts to get closer and you want a quick way to regain the offense. *Regaining the offense will give you the opportunity to gain distance.

• As a last resort, use kicks to prevent facehugs. This drains your own stamina, but it is much better to lose stamina advantage over a health advantage in your playstyle. Also, it returns the offense to your favor, giving another opportunity to create distance with attacks and feints.

*This playstyle should make feint reading much much easier because you will almost never be in facehug range unless you will it. The rule of trading after an enemy tries to close distance protects you from feints.

• Your weakness is somebody who can parry very easily. Say for example your enemy parries your first swing (parry 1), then you see him trying to close the distance. You should be starting another attack as soon as you see this, but if your enemy parries your trade attempt (parry 2), he will likely be close to facehug range. This is the most critical weakness you have (vulnerable 1). You are vulnerable to feints, handlehits, and drags.

**###**Remember, trading is only applicable when the enemy hesitates to attack you after they parry a swing, and/or if the enemy is trying to close distance to get to facehug range. Otherwise, simply play as normal, parry their attack (feints will be easier to read and punish with the distance created) and return with feints/attacks. Remember, although the enemy’s feint is weaker due to distance, so is yours! Only feint if the enemy is closer to you.

******* To avoid the phase vulnerable 1, once you are performing the trade attempt after parry 1, you should watch the enemy to see if they are about to successfully parry. Intentionally miss this swing if their chances are likely, and combo into a drag/combo feint. If the enemy doesn’t fall for either of these, you wasted a lot of stamina, so you should attempt to quick kick and feint/attack. You are in your most vulnerable state with having very little stamina. If your enemy STILL is able to parry your attempts, you must take the hit/run away and jump. Try to regain as much stamina as possible! If you do manage to hit the enemy during these situations, BACK AWAY and regain stamina. If your enemy is hit, he will likely hesitate to punish your stamina loss. If you decide to take the hit, the new bullshit flinch time may allow you to handlehit the enemy before they can finish a combo. Back away after this.

****** Feinting/Combofeinting after parry 1 is one of the only things that will keep you alive against a consistently parrying person. If you alternate feinting and attack during this phase, your enemy will have much less of a chance to even reach the phase of parry 2. Should the enemy make it to parry 2, another feint/attack is necessary to keep the opponent guessing, preventing the phase of vulnerable 1. The opponent may be psychologically desparate in this situation and riposte after parry 2, allowing you to easily reset all phases. You will be given the offense, surely allowing you to make distance and regain stamina. BUT, if the enemy is still able to read both feints/attacks and get to phase vulnerable 1, you must read their facehug attacks accordingly.

*If your opponent ripostes, he feeds you the offense. Ripostes should be easy to block as well, because of the distance created.

*Should you get hit, you must reset the phases by feinting/trading the enemy and regain the offense. Once you regain the offense, use the offense as an opportunity to create distance again.

In conclusion, this playstyle is solely built around keeping distance to prevent feints and facehug attacks. The enemy has to get through 2 phases of confusion before breaking your defense. You should be using attacks to create distance(footwork), and correcting distance shortage through kicks, feints, and trades. Feints from the enemy are easier to read because of the distance created, but so are your own. This playstyle appears as a defensive one, but in truth it is neither offensive or defensive. Timing is an important factor in correcting distance shortage as well. A good parrying ability is required, as well as a natural sense of control.

Offense = opportunity to create distance. Always be the first to take the offense.

Let me know the weaknesses in this playstyle, so I can further improve it or prove to Retsnom that keeping distance at all times is not possible.

• @JimmyTryhard:

Retsnom (monsteR backwards)

MIND=BLOWN

• @JimmyTryhard:

Inspired by Retsnom. (monsteR backwards)

Why the hell did I never notice that…

Which weapon are we talking about here? Vanguard sword or polearm? I’m assuming the Halberd.
    If using a polearm, incorporating stab-feint-to-stab drag will be a crucial move in keeping the offensive side.

Like you said, the problem with most longer-reached weapons right now, is that they are easily interrupted mid-combo due to the microscopic flinch times. This goes both ways though, and how would you react if the enemy tries interrupting yours? You say “Never end your swing in facehug range except when comboing.”, but that only makes it easier for your opponent to punish you for it.

Also Andrew, that’s not very nice, I want to read unaltered content.

• NOOO ANDREW

I paid a lot for that unicorn

• @Rickvs:

Why the hell did I never notice that…

Which weapon are we talking about here? Vanguard sword or polearm? I’m assuming the Halberd.
    If using a polearm, incorporating stab-feint-to-stab drag will be a crucial move in keeping the offensive side.

Like you said, the problem with most longer-reached weapons right now, is that they are easily interrupted mid-combo due to the microscopic flinch times. This goes both ways though, and how would you react if the enemy tries interrupting yours? You say “Never end your swing in facehug range except when comboing.”, but that only makes it easier for your opponent to punish you for it.

Also Andrew, that’s not very nice, I want to read unaltered content.

Hopefully, I would CFTP. Also, I’m not specifying a specific vanguard weapon specifically, but a van weapon would really help.

• Or i can just run up, do a sow stab feint and poop on his party.

• Inspired by Retsnom. (monsteR backwards)

Didn’t read for the safety of my brain.

• Is this style only working with vanguard mainly? Because I main knight mostly :I

• @Sora:

Is this style only working with vanguard mainly? Because I main knight mostly :I

yes but you need to use warhammer stabs only and you cant sprint

• @CRUSHED:

Or i can just run up, do a sow stab feint and poop on his party.

It would be readable because it would be away from facehug range, and if you did manage to get close, hopefully I could trade interrupt you.

• Yep, maintaining distance has always been the way to play the game since they added the bubble, removed forward chase, buffed MaAs and removed/nerfed CFtP. All bad choices that should be reverted because the game was way more fun when it was about being aggressive and offensive and not about being defensive and back pedaling all day. While the recent patches have made it better, until forward chase returns and MaAs are nerfed at least, it’ll never be as fun/good as it used to. I’m not saying I want facehugging with hatchets/flanged back (which wasn’t fun either), but it was fun trying to face hug with longsword/greatsword/halberd/any weapon in the game even if it had good range because you would be rewarded for being aggressive. Which is good. You want to go in, you want to close the distance and kill your enemy quickly and efficiently and move on to the next target. You want to be offensive and put your enemy on the defensive so you can get him to that delicious squishy feintable draggable state which can take too long now since back pedaling and distance fighting is too rewarding now.

At least for pubs.

• @JimmyTryhard:

It would be readable because it would be away from facehug range, and if you did manage to get close, hopefully I could trade interrupt you.

Are you serious ? im not sure lol

• @CRUSHED:

Are you serious ? im not sure lol

Of course that is the theory, but yeah SoW stab feints are just… sigh

• @SOC:

Yep, maintaining distance has always been the way to play the game since they added the bubble, removed forward chase, buffed MaAs and removed/nerfed CFtP. All bad choices that should be reverted because the game was way more fun when it was about being aggressive and offensive and not about being defensive and back pedaling all day. While the recent patches have made it better, until forward chase returns and MaAs are nerfed at least, it’ll never be as fun/good as it used to. I’m not saying I want facehugging with hatchets/flanged back (which wasn’t fun either), but it was fun trying to face hug with longsword/greatsword/halberd/any weapon in the game even if it had good range because you would be rewarded for being aggressive. Which is good. You want to go in, you want to close the distance and kill your enemy quickly and efficiently and move on to the next target. You want to be offensive and put your enemy on the defensive so you can get him to that delicious squishy feintable draggable state which can take too long now since back pedaling and distance fighting is too rewarding now.

At least for pubs.

Hmmm but there are still those offensive = reward elements today, just less facehugging. Theres just a lot of distance play on top. You still have to be offensive to maintain the distance and get your opponent into that weak state. I do understand what you mean though… :( I still try to play facehug aggrostyle

• @CRUSHED:

yes but you need to use warhammer stabs only and you cant sprint

Warhammer is only thing can be used via this style? Not other hammers and axes?

• Warhammer??? Whaa???

I was thinking swords.

• @CRUSHED:

Or i can just run up, do a sow stab feint and poop on his party.

end of thread

• Swords have little knock back compared to hammers and axes. That’s what I thought about knight weaponry at least

• @Sora:

Swords have little knock back compared to hammers and axes. That’s what I thought about knight weaponry at least

poleaxe would work

• That feel when spear weapons will never have combos in chivalry like in “deadliest hit trade warrior”

sigh…